Voodoo sh*t

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
This is genuinely odd.

New tyres. Old ones off. Clean rims. New tape and valves. Tyres on. Compressor, nice satisfying pop as the beads seat. Sealant in, no mess, no fuss. Valve cores in, inflate. Beer.

Next morning REAR tyres is flat. Front is perfect. WTF?

Re-inflate and out with the soapy water around the spokes, valve and bead. Not an air leak in sight.

Next morning FRONT tyre is flat. Rear is perfect. How Fcuk'd up is that?

Re-inflated and awaiting results. Place your bets.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
May 15, 2020
Kent
I topped mine up the other day, removed valve core. Used syringe. No mess. All good. Came in the garage in the morning to go for a ride and front flat. checked valves, pumped up, seemed fine. Went for a ride expecting a flat anytime soon, didn't go down.

I put it down to a lose valve or witchcraft.

Either way, not been an issue since....

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
When I eventually wear my tyres out I’m going to try tubeless.

Are all Schwalbe MTB tyres tubeless ready? e.g. Smart Sam and does it matter if they are folding or wired?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Tubeless tyres always need a quick ride over some rough stuff before they fully seal up , spinning the wheel by hand/sloshing the sealant around by hand is not enough- in my experience.

presume that the sealant needs to get jiggled into all the little gaps

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Had new tyres fitted a couple weeks ago, and the front was flat a couple of days later, before I had a chance to ride it. I then pumped it up, did a 30 mile ride, and it stayed inflated. No pressure lost since riding last weekend, so whatever the issue was, is sorted now.

andyadam

Apr 16, 2020
fife, scotland
This is genuinely odd.

New tyres. Old ones off. Clean rims. New tape and valves. Tyres on. Compressor, nice satisfying pop as the beads seat. Sealant in, no mess, no fuss. Valve cores in, inflate. Beer.

Re-inflate and out with the soapy water around the spokes, valve and bead. Not an air leak in sight.

i had the exact same issue with my rear tyre (filled with stans) i bought oki sealant, the tractor and off road vehicle version, watered it down a bit and hey presto first time fix, no deflation, and its cheap as chips too 1 litre (makes 1.5 when diluted) £12.00 anything aimed at farmers better be cheap and manufacturers know that, how ever, if its made made for mtb or leasure activities...................ripped off

Rich Jones 16

Dec 24, 2020
Essen Germany
I had a similar problem and the valve had come lose, it was only finger tight before and the pressure must have allowed the screw to come undone. Did it up tight and and reinflated, no problem since

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Are all Schwalbe MTB tyres tubeless ready? e.g. Smart Sam and does it matter if they are folding or wired?

No. Some of Schwalbe's really cheap versions are labelled "Tube Type Only". I have some Nobby Nics which, ISTR, cost less than 20€ (that should have warned me!) and I didn't notice the warning embossed on the tyre until it clearly stood out against the white sealant weeping through the side walls. ?

The tyres did seal fine after a couple of days but the tyre walls were so weak that they were horribly squirmy. Hurricanes are not tubeless ready and I don't think the Smart Sams are either.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
This is genuinely odd.

High Rock Ruti

I would be remiss to not say the after cush core I've never had a flat after installation, plus you can run lower pressures if you like a softer ride

Warm Regards Ruti

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
May 15, 2020
Kent
So it may have been the valve....

I had no issue then again the other night it felt low so checked pressure and needed more air in. Pumped up and could feel the valve leaking.

replaced and no problem since

I think when I topped it up some sealant had got round the o ring and wasn’t sealing properly

it’s not broken currently so not fixing ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles