• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Volspeed tuning box for Bosch gen 4

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
@JcoolMTB Can you share a few pics of the updated Purion display please?
I guess it's this one, right?

I posted a thread about the different Bosch displays, and I admit to not understanding why our emtb's need all these bells and whistles which in some cases have caused the inability to run a tuner. I have that simplest Purion display, and once the parameters were set to max options for my preference, I can't see any reason to constantly go back and forth to the Bosch software But people are different and preferences differ, so I get that.

dschae1

Jul 20, 2021
Texas
My 2021 has this version of the Purion display. Of note, the chip I installed in Jan 2022 does not offer any boost capability like what you are describing, only that the previous speed limiter is moved out. I checked an there are no software upgrades to add it either. I'm happy though with the performance my Bosch motor delivers across the 4 boost modes though! 2,000+ miles since it was installed, no issues what so ever on a 2021 Trek Rail 7. I can get up to 34 MPH (54 KPH) with a good road downhill.

1716561810497.png

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
My 2021 has this version of the Purion display. Of note, the chip I installed in Jan 2022 does not offer any boost capability like what you are describing, only that the previous speed limiter is moved out. I checked an there are no software upgrades to add it either. I'm happy though with the performance my Bosch motor delivers across the 4 boost modes though! 2,000+ miles since it was installed, no issues what so ever on a 2021 Trek Rail 7. I can get up to 34 MPH (54 KPH) with a good road downhill.

View attachment 140930
That's the same display I have on my Gen II Trek Rail 7, and I also have the VOLspeed unit. It has been flawless in operation and super simple...no countdown BS or other rituals you have to go through.

However, it's interesting that you say you're not realizing any other benefits other than the speed limit removal. Have you played with the dynamic mode options by using the "Walk" button as layed out in the manual? The alternative inputs are subtle but quite noticeable on an actual trail. I set mine to the most aggressive settings, but I'm a dirt motorcycle guy, so that's kind of where I'm happiest at in function.

dschae1

Jul 20, 2021
Texas
I have not tried the Walk button mods yet, wasn't aware this was something to look at. I'll do a search for the directions.
PS: I'm 64 now, but a "few" years back, I raced motocross (1980s to early - 1990s). I credit this to my interest in eMTB!
1716609271629.png

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
I have not tried the Walk button mods yet, wasn't aware this was something to look at. I'll do a search for the directions.
PS: I'm 64 now, but a "few" years back, I raced motocross (1980s to early - 1990s). I credit this to my interest in eMTB! View attachment 140978
Somewhat similar background here. I'm even older at 72, but I'm a very fortunate 72 who still rides dirt motorcycles and mountain bikes...my dirt motor background was the enduro circuit. No doubt being a dirt motor guy made the transition to MTB's and now EMTB's very logical.

I see you're from TX also. Our off road club just put on the Concho Enduro on the TX circuit. Here's a shot from the property last month at Texana Ranch during prep for the enduro...on both venues of travel out there. 😄
IMG_20240418_124830145_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240224_131728087_HDR.jpg

dschae1

Jul 20, 2021
Texas
What year/model of Rail is that? The shock looks very different than mine with the external spring. Lots of other things look different to me too. I have this 2021 Trek Rail 7
1716740765387.png

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
dschael, it's a Gen II...the year after yours. Yes, you're right about the suspension on my Rail in the pic. OEM fork was a RS Domain, and the rear shock was the same as yours. I swapped to a coil Marz Bomber fork and a Fox DH-X2 rear coil shock. I prefer coil suspension most all the time. May come from my dirt motorcycle background.

JcoolMTB

Jul 29, 2022
Finland
@JcoolMTB Can you share a few pics of the updated Purion display please?
I still have the old Purion. I was talking about having modes with more assistance and they are kind of between in the stock modes. I can switch tuning ON/OFF. So I can have modes like: ECO(60%), ECO+(80%), TOUR(120%), TOUR+(150%),EMTB(210%), EMTB+(230%), TURBO(300%) and TURBO+(310%). The tuning makes huge improvement in cadence. With the tuning OFF I'm usually in 70-80 cadence which I don't like. With the tuning ON I'm able to do faster cadence in 80-85 range and it feels great.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles