Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I just got 4000ft out of mine riding in snow (harder going on the climbs) in a sunny -3deg Innerleithen.
IMG_20190123_143310_896.jpg
pleasantly surprised.

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
Re the fork damage, this sounds same as mine, I had a couple of annoying scratches which I moaned about and got £75 rebate. 2 mins with a black permanent marker sorted it right out! ;) I’ve even got some new snazzy lyrik decals that I may apply yet too. Have a winge, defo worth it
Yeah, I will definitely have a moan. I did a PDI (Post Delivery Inspection), here’s what I found:
1. Scratch on right fork stanchion
2. Dropper not working - mine was slammed into the seat tube which has kinked the cable. I have bodged it straight, but it will need a new cable. Looks like a mission to replace the cable.
3. Loose rear triangle bolts
4. Loose rear caliper bolts
5. Both rotors scraping at one point
6. Dropper post clamp completely loose
7. WTB stickers on rear rim peeling off

Having read about some of the issues and suggestions I have tried to stop the ingress of water and dirt into the motor by inserting foam where the cables go to the motor and I have completely covered the mess of cables at the bottom of the shock with duct tape. its a bit of a bodge at the moment, but will suffice until I can find a more elegant solution.
IMG_2169.JPG

Overall, I am impressed with the quality of the bike, to my eyes the green is very understated.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
you dont need to cover the cable area, its designed so that anything that goes in there goes out the gap at the back, when you wash the bike it will come out.

When I replaced the dropper, Ikept but cut down the OEM cable outer, and just replaced the inner. One of the main culprits for the kinking is over tight zip ties on the dropper cable by the shock.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That's bloody good going. Eco?

Nah. a mix of all 3 (just a tiny amount of boost tho). There's no way eco would have got me up to the highest point at the golfie in snow..
it went to 2 bars left at 3200ish so I did nurse it in eco and high cadence for the next climb after that. it ran out t half way up the next climb, i rode for a bit with it off but it was harder going with the snow so pushed for a bit to gt to the next descent, last descent was just a mellow climb away and lower so no bother to pedal with no power.

Heading down again tomorrow. Been waiting to ride this bike i snow for ages and can't believv how ridiculously awesome it is!!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Oh... nearly forgot. I do have a neoprene battery cosy. No idea if it does anything to presereve battery life or not.

Last edited:

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
you dont need to cover the cable area, its designed so that anything that goes in there goes out the gap at the back, when you wash the bike it will come out.

When I replaced the dropper, Ikept but cut down the OEM cable outer, and just replaced the inner. One of the main culprits for the kinking is over tight zip ties on the dropper cable by the shock.
Oh, OK. I thought it would keep things cleaner and stop crud getting into the area of the motor where the cables plug in. Those cable ties were very tight. After reinserting the dropper post, I cable tied the cable, but made the ties less tight.

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
And for you 2019 owners I have just figured out a workaround for getting the app to work with the bike, I posted it in another thread but will repost here:

"I have now figured out and tested a workaround.

If you unplug the e7000 controller, you can access the app, and change all the settings etc.

Now the bright sparks amongst you will have figured out that you need the controller plugged in to activate the bluetooth connection!

So what you have to do, is activate the bluetooth connection on the bike, then unplug the e7000 controller, then connect with the app. App connects fine, but instead of the usual 3 items its shows up (controller, motor, battery) it just has motor and battery - you can access the motor customisation etc etc.

I also tried plugging in the e7000 once the app had connected, and this didn't disconnect it or do anything weird, but the controller didn't show up on the app.

Bare in mind I have already paired my bike with the app some time ago, so dont know how this would affect a first time connection.

When you have finished just disconnect via the app, and then plug the controller back in

Voila!

As an FYI I use the iPad version of the app."
Thanks R120, used my iPad and followed your instructions. Connected and all sorted(y)

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
I see that there is another VR on the Tri-Sports eBay site. Damaged, no charger, no docs and no pedals (that's no loss). 27 bids so far and with 4 hours to go it is already at £3,000.00! I really wonder, and worry, about people.

E-Glen

Jan 10, 2019
Bath, uk
I see that there is another VR on the Tri-Sports eBay site. Damaged, no charger, no docs and no pedals (that's no loss). 27 bids so far and with 4 hours to go it is already at £3,000.00! I really wonder, and worry, about people.
What really frightening, is that many of these people vote :D

GDAS

Sep 19, 2018
Surrey, UK
Winning bid is £3,125.00 [ 28 bids ] + Postage: £14.99 Economy Delivery:eek:
I suspect that's a re-listing of the previous one - the original buyer probably went rather quiet. Stupid prices I agree, but I'm surprised they're able to say "no warranty"; as a business, I would have thought they would have to offer warranty unless they describe the item as a collection of parts.

I notice that if you buy an E-Sommet from Wiggle (as opposed to CRC) it looks like you get a free 30 day trial. What happens to all the bikes that come back after a 30 day trial with wear on the tyres and brake pads, mileage on the motor, charge cycles on the battery, cable-wear scuffs on the head tube, shoe sole scuffs on the cranks, etc? Do they simply get auctioned on ebay by Tri-Sports?

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Made the classic South Downs mistake of heading out on thawing trails after a freeze. Turned round at the top of the hill but still did this at the bottom. Will need to take the chainring off to free it and fair chance the chain will be twisted. Bah.

20190125_065344.jpg

AverageJoeMTB

Jan 24, 2019
Forest of Dean
I suspect that's a re-listing of the previous one - the original buyer probably went rather quiet. Stupid prices I agree, but I'm surprised they're able to say "no warranty"; as a business, I would have thought they would have to offer warranty unless they describe the item as a collection of parts.

I notice that if you buy an E-Sommet from Wiggle (as opposed to CRC) it looks like you get a free 30 day trial. What happens to all the bikes that come back after a 30 day trial with wear on the tyres and brake pads, mileage on the motor, charge cycles on the battery, cable-wear scuffs on the head tube, shoe sole scuffs on the cranks, etc? Do they simply get auctioned on ebay by Tri-Sports?

I suspect this is exactly what happens. I watched one the other week. I'd have paid up to 2.8K and risked no warranty but the price it sold for was crazy considering what a new one costs. So I went new. Should be with me next week.

Figured it was worth the risk with a 30 day return! What a policy!

JayKay

Jan 25, 2019
Milton Keynes
I'm new here but have had my first e-bike (Haibike) back in 2012. I've just bought a 2nd hand Levo carbon, but in hindsight would have gone for this eBay Vitus mentioned above. It has done ONLY 12 miles (so how bad can it be, pictures look fine), a new charger is £150, so £500 saving off new....that sounds pretty good to me. Sure there is no warranty, but warranty does NOT move with 2nd hand bikes either. Plus, if you are properly riding a bike like this then will no longer look new after only a few of my rides!

I made another mistake not buying off Rutland when the Kenevos were £4125 (all sold out), so I asked for pictures of the demo Levos and Kenevos they have......they were all abused, scuffed up loads, that Vitus on ebay is immaculate in comparison.

Finally, who needs manuals these days? All the documentation is downloadable on-line for free?!?

JayKay

Jan 25, 2019
Milton Keynes
The one on ebay last week was a 2018 (and 5 miles) the one this week is a 2019 (and 12 miles), so not the same bike. There is medium 2019 still listed......

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
I'm new here but have had my first e-bike (Haibike) back in 2012. I've just bought a 2nd hand Levo carbon, but in hindsight would have gone for this eBay Vitus mentioned above. It has done ONLY 12 miles (so how bad can it be, pictures look fine), a new charger is £150, so £500 saving off new....that sounds pretty good to me. Sure there is no warranty, but warranty does NOT move with 2nd hand bikes either. Plus, if you are properly riding a bike like this then will no longer look new after only a few of my rides!

I made another mistake not buying off Rutland when the Kenevos were £4125 (all sold out), so I asked for pictures of the demo Levos and Kenevos they have......they were all abused, scuffed up loads, that Vitus on ebay is immaculate in comparison.

Finally, who needs manuals these days? All the documentation is downloadable on-line for free?!?
I guess the point is mate that with smart wiggle discounts you could get this bike new, no damage and with full warranty for £3k like a few of us did. Even now with 12% platinum it’s £3300, granted you got to spend £500 or know someone with platinum

JayKay

Jan 25, 2019
Milton Keynes
I guess the point is mate that with smart wiggle discounts you could get this bike new, no damage and with full warranty for £3k like a few of us did. Even now with 12% platinum it’s £3300, granted you got to spend £500 or know someone with platinum

If only I'd know someone with platinum! Does the BC discount still apply also? I read that some bought bikes with it previously? .

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
If only I'd know someone with platinum! Does the BC discount still apply also? I read that some bought bikes with it previously? .
BC dropped their discount to £10 which is crap. I’d happily buy someone a bike with my platinum discount but would want the money up front and they would need to come and collect. Unless you can get it delivered to another address than the registered payment card address

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
For those interested in Large Invisiframe for the E Sommet 2019 my bike is going in with them next week to design the template from so at a guess should be available as early as 4/2/19 to order just the kit. This will leave only Small and XL not available to buy as a kit for home or LBS install.

Not sure I agree with buying something for 500 then sending it back.. that's too much like stealing IMO and will only drive Wiggle to reduce or scrap their discount scheme in the future.
Spend 500 then buy the bike you essentially got 460 worth of "free" stuff.. isnt that enough?

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
Anyone tell me whats the score with washing the Vitus E Sommet, do you wash it with the battery installed (turned off obviously :) ) or should you remove it?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles