e-Tommy

Jan 18, 2019
edinburgh
£3351 on ebay is a shocker.
For anyone just about to buy, apparently you can get 2% through Quidco as well, so that brings it down to £3268.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Not that surprised at what it went for, given the supply and demand issues - still a bargain by EMTB standards.

And if whoever bought it is reading this thread, dont be afraid to join!

e-Tommy

Jan 18, 2019
edinburgh
Yes - I paid full price for mine so the ebayer still got it cheaper than me :) Could have been smarter myself, but the XL's have all sold out now so I might have missed my chance if I'd have waited.

Last edited:

chrispymocha

Jan 21, 2019
South Wales
Hmm, it’s hard to compare the t130 and the sommet as they are quite different. The medium sommet seems to fit in between the t130 and my medium cotic Solaris so will probably go for that. Doesn’t look like a cramped bike even in medium.
Just got to justify it now :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hmm, it’s hard to compare the t130 and the sommet as they are quite different.
Not that different at all.
a Small T130 is very slightly shorter than a small eSommet in reach
Med T130 is almost bang on the same reach
L T130 is slighty longer
All eSommets have 10mm longer stays, are slightly slacker H/A and have alower BB height.

completely ignore toptube lengths. Neither bike has a straight un-interupted seattube so TT length is not comparible.

chrispymocha

Jan 21, 2019
South Wales
L T130 is slighty longer
All eSommets have 10mm longer stays, are slightly slacker H/A and have alower BB height.

completely ignore toptube lengths. Neither bike has a straight un-interupted seattube so TT length is not comparible.

Ah thanks - The thing I have noticed is that the large sommet seat tube is nearly 3 cm longer than my large T-130, in which my dropper post is already nearly as low as it can go. I'm not being silly with this as I'm assuming BB height is irrelevant for this measurement?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Pedal axle to saddle rails is the relevant measurement - if you measure this on your bike with dropper up I will check it against my E-Sommet size L

E-Glen

Jan 10, 2019
Bath, uk
Yes - I paid full price for mine so the ebayer still got it cheaper than me :) Could have been smarter myself, but the XL's have all sold out now so I might have missed my chance if I'd have waited.
I'm thinking that my xl may be too large. (Due to the high seat post)
There may be one on eBay soon ;)

E-Glen

Jan 10, 2019
Bath, uk
How tall are you Tommy?
I'm 6'2, and not convinced that xl was the right choice.

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
L T130 is slighty longer

I disagree. You should never completely ignore horizontal TT lengths. If it's too long you can't push the bike forward enough on drop offs (if you do that kind of riding) and you just feel stretched out all the time. Too short and your knees get in the way.

Most bikes come with short steering stems these days so not much to shorten and you don't want to go too long and slow the steering.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I disagree.
And that's fine.
If it's too long you can't push the bike forward enough on drop offs (if you do that kind of riding) and you just feel stretched out all the time. Too short and your knees get in the way.
Bearing in mind you push a bike forwards while leaving a drop STOOD UP. if it's too long to do that you've bought the wrong size. Reach measurement would have told you this.
same if it's so short you're hitting your knees off your bars. Horizontal top tube length only roughly tells you where your saddle will be and even then you still have a couple of inches of fore and aft adjustment via saddle rails.

Similarly if folk are struggling with seat tube length on a L or XL eSommet they're probably choosing a bike too long for their height anyway and will struggle most likely to perform basic essential skills for riding an enduro mtb such as a bunnyhop or manual.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ah thanks - The thing I have noticed is that the large sommet seat tube is nearly 3 cm longer than my large T-130, in which my dropper post is already nearly as low as it can go. I'm not being silly with this as I'm assuming BB height is irrelevant for this measurement?

at 5'10" you won't find a M eSommet short unless you're coming from something like a Pole or Geometron. (Which would be horribly long geometry for maneouvering a 50lb ebike IMO).

I'm a perfectly proportioned 5'11" (so taller in shoes) and ride a Small eSommet well. I'm pretty modest too.
Coming from a DH/DJ background it doesn't feel short for me at all but being shorter it is more playful and easier to manouver than a M or L would have been. (if you get me?)

Yes BB height is irrelevant to saddle height. (as R120 says, crank length isn't)
a combination of lower stack saddle and shorter cranks con buy you 30mm or so if you're deterimined to have as long a bike as possible. otherwise you'll need a shorter dropper.

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
I'm 5 11 with a 32" inside leg,I got a 2018 M and can only just get the seatpost low enough,CRC website recommend a large and I'm glad I ignored it, I do sometimes think I might have been better off following Gary's lead and getting a small, as Gary said these are big bikes and I worry more about it being too big not too small.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Addendum to this post. After several emails, Wiggle agreed to deliver to the IoW?. Scheduled ETA was 24 Jan. well, it arrived today, totally unannounced. Lucky that I was home.. First inspection shows mark on fork stanchion and the dropper is not working?. I’ve tried adjusting the cable with the adjuster in the cable. Any thoughts on what the dropper problem might be?
Re the fork damage, this sounds same as mine, I had a couple of annoying scratches which I moaned about and got £75 rebate. 2 mins with a black permanent marker sorted it right out! ;) I’ve even got some new snazzy lyrik decals that I may apply yet too. Have a winge, defo worth it

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
I'm thinking that my xl may be too large. (Due to the high seat post)
There may be one on eBay soon ;)

You got a 30 day returns warranty with Wiggle so if it is really unsuitable then you could buy a Large and return your XL. Sounds like they don't lose much money selling on ebay anyway just the delivery/ebay costs for them.

Easiest solution IMO would be a OneUP dropper post as they have 50mm of adjustment so you can set the max extension anywhere between 100 and 150 so that's something you could consider to get the bike to fit.

Way too many people recommending bikes too big for people due to a trend and a few tall riders in the media championing it because it benefits them and they finally get bikes to fit them :).

For reference i'm 6 Foot and a large fit me, but IIRC I did have the seatpost pretty much slammed so I could see how people 510 or 511 may be borderline. I definitely wouldn't ride a medium or small but that's the issue with recommending a size based on your body type an preference. Mines just turned up so i'll check it tonight if I get time to unbox it etc. For those waiting on orders mine was placed on the 16/1, processed 18/1 and arrived today 22/1. I got no tracking information at all it just turned up.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
A Medium and a Large have been listed recently, I wonder what they'll go for?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am 6ft with a 32 inseam, and the L fits me spot on - I have 160mm cranks, and have the stock Brand X Dropper post a couple of CM up from as far as you can insert it. I tried a 170 One Up, but even at maximum insertion it is way too tall due to the tab at the bottom of the seat tube that prevents you inserting the post too far and hitting the shock on the 2018 model, I believe on the 2019 you can insert it further.

If I was buying again, I would be interested in trying a medium, to see how low I can get the seat on one compared to an L. Dont get me wrong, I can get it low enough on the L, and its never an issue, but given the sizing of the bikes I wouldn't see any problem with riding an M.

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
And that's fine.

Bearing in mind you push a bike forwards while leaving a drop STOOD UP. if it's too long to do that you've bought the wrong size. Reach measurement would have told you this.
same if it's so short you're hitting your knees off your bars. Horizontal top tube length only roughly tells you where your saddle will be and even then you still have a couple of inches of fore and aft adjustment via saddle rails.

Similarly if folk are struggling with seat tube length on a L or XL eSommet they're probably choosing a bike too long for their height anyway and will struggle most likely to perform basic essential skills for riding an enduro mtb such as a bunnyhop or manual.

@Gary I agree on that but my 'problem' is I've got short legs so always focus on the TT length. I haven't got the best technique either so everything helps. :cautious:

Last edited:

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
My replacement bike is perfect this time and when I ordered I requested additional packaging on the forks and the bars + controls wrapped at the checkout additional instruction box.. which they did so fair play and good service. So my advice is to request the same as damage to the frame from the bars/controls is possible and damage to the forks anecdotally the most common.

The bike was actually set up properly this time and I didn't have to set the gears, crimp on end caps etc. Also of note was the accessories were properly packaged and the charger boxed not just free range in the big box. Also included were touch up paints and the little plastic tool to insert/remove DI2 cables, battery keys and some other spares. Only thing missing I can think of was the mini hex wrench set which would I never use anyway so no loss. It was also in a Wiggle branded box this time with labels saying don't sign if the box is damaged etc. Also a full safety check list, completed and signed!

So very impressed this time, even the delivery driver came back as he asked next door when i'd be back from work...

As for sizing .. it's a big bike, my large fits me fine at 6 foot 32/33 inseam but no way would I fit an XL, pretty close to slammed on the large tbh with little spare post collar showing. So those considering to upsize may need to think again.

Wont get to ride it for a week as a couple of clockwork rides planned with non Ebikers… I am tempted to take it though ;) .

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
My replacement bike is perfect this time and when I ordered I requested additional packaging on the forks and the bars + controls wrapped at the checkout additional instruction box.. which they did so fair play and good service. So my advice is to request the same as damage to the frame from the bars/controls is possible and damage to the forks anecdotally the most common.

The bike was actually set up properly this time and I didn't have to set the gears, crimp on end caps etc. Also of note was the accessories were properly packaged and the charger boxed not just free range in the big box. Also included were touch up paints and the little plastic tool to insert/remove DI2 cables, battery keys and some other spares. Only thing missing I can think of was the mini hex wrench set which would I never use anyway so no loss. It was also in a Wiggle branded box this time with labels saying don't sign if the box is damaged etc. Also a full safety check list, completed and signed!

So very impressed this time, even the delivery driver came back as he asked next door when i'd be back from work...

As for sizing .. it's a big bike, my large fits me fine at 6 foot 32/33 inseam but no way would I fit an XL, pretty close to slammed on the large tbh with little spare post collar showing. So those considering to upsize may need to think again.

Wont get to ride it for a week as a couple of clockwork rides planned with non Ebikers… I am tempted to take it though ;) .

Can you measure how much post is left exposed when you slam in in? Interested to compare to my 2018 to see if they have changed how far you can get it in.

Screenshot 2019-01-22 at 20.29.04.png

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
Can you measure how much post is left exposed when you slam in in? Interested to compare to my 2018 to see if they have changed how far you can get it in.

View attachment 9995
25-30mm, not ridden it yet so may tweak it.. it wont slam completely but maybe with some cable wrangling it may go down a bit lower.

My Santa Cruz Large Hightower LT is 55mm for the same measurement..

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
Out of interest can you specify a delivery day from Wiggle for bikes?

No you just get an on or before a specific date unfortunately. After a missed delivery you could arrange with the delivery company a specific date though probably not weekends depending on who it is. Some companies have no collection option/depot either so dont count on that being possible IME.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
And on the subject of the mode shifter I bought a left hand E7000 with a 400mm cable before it dawned on me that my damaged left wrist didn't like it so much. Was going to return it but moved it to the right first. Meant that the button ergonomics weren't quite as good as they don't slant towards your thumb but main issue was that I couldn't get it where I wanted without a clash with the rear shifter, cable routing was shit too. So turned it upside down and it's bob on for me, no clash at all and button ergonomics are as designed. Doesn't look quite as neat with the cable exiting at the top and the up/down is arse about face but 2 rides in and I'm used to it, bit like a semi auto box on a car. I'd wager you could change it with the PCE-1 box and software but can't say I'm bothered.

Will post a photo up later. The 300mm version would have been perfect but not worth changing.
I get it now ......
Can't keep up wi all this shit, there's a lot o repetitive stuff on forums so I try to filter .
But y can program that switch for di2 can't ya?
Div's ???

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles