Virgin E biker searching

steve67

Apr 7, 2024
Uk
Not the first to ask and definitely not the last.....
What is a good ebike for around £2500.
I rode road bikes for years, (5k miles per year average)but due to health issues had to stop, now looking for an e bike to take me on the back lanes and odd trail.
The cube reaction pro 750 looks appealing, or should I be looking elsewhere..
Appreciate any advice..

DieBoy

Jul 14, 2023
EU
From the title I thought at first Richard Branson was entering the eMTB market... ;)

The cube reaction pro 750 is IMO a decent bike for the price, and more than adequate for your use-case. You'll probably not want to keep the supplied pedals, but as a former roadie you know that. The 2.6" wide tires might take some getting used to.

Generally at the moment there's some bargins to be had, particularly if you'll accept a 2023 model, shop around.

steve67

Apr 7, 2024
Uk
From the title I thought at first Richard Branson was entering the eMTB market... ;)

The cube reaction pro 750 is IMO a decent bike for the price, and more than adequate for your use-case. You'll probably not want to keep the supplied pedals, but as a former roadie you know that. The 2.6" wide tires might take some getting used to.

Generally at the moment there's some bargins to be had, particularly if you'll accept a 2023 model, shop around.
cheers, any idea on the reliability of the electrics/ motor?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
cheers, any idea on the reliability of the electrics/ motor?
I had a Shimano e8000 motor for 2.5 years and I've had a Shimano EP8 for 2yrs 8 months. Both faultless and I've ridden through every winter (in the UK). I don't ride through streams deeper than the motor (like some do) and I don't use even a hosepipe (like some do), let alone a jetwash!! I do carry the bike on a towbar rack. I don't wrap the motor or protect any part of the bike (except the discs from road muck).

There are people on this Forum that would astonish you how many miles they get out of their motor! But some are on their 4th or 5th motor inside the warranty period!

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Now then @steve67 let me put my sensible head on and welcome you to this forum where great knowledge can be harvested as well as plenty of shite to help the harvest grow 😂.
There is a plethora of choice with regard to your budget both new and used, just do your homework. Read the dedicated manf threads on here and visit your LBS or even a demo day in your area. I ride a 2020 Whyte RS 150 which I bought new and still consider it new even though it’s done the best part of 5000 miles and I’m on to my third motor due to water ingress problems ( by no means do I mollycoddle the bike just use common sense). Make no mistake these are very expensive bikes to maintain simply because you can ride them anywhere. Gravity is no longer a barrier to us more mature riders in fact you will have to learn new skills to ride gnarly climbs (if you so wish too) with so much power on hand it’s exhilarating when you nail one. It’s a cost I’m willing to pay for the sheer pleasure of getting out on me bike with me mates…….priceless
Good luck on your search and you won’t be disappointed.
This is an excellent forum with loads of topic's to get your teeth stuck into.

Last edited:

HowieG

Subscriber
Apr 7, 2024
Sheffield
Not the first to ask and definitely not the last.....
What is a good ebike for around £2500.
I rode road bikes for years, (5k miles per year average)but due to health issues had to stop, now looking for an e bike to take me on the back lanes and odd trail.
The cube reaction pro 750 looks appealing, or should I be looking elsewhere..
Appreciate any advice..
I have a 2022 Cube Reaction EXC 750 29er and it is probably the best thing I have ever bought, I have no experience of any other ebikes however, once i am happy thats me set for life, it is prefect for my riding enjoyment.

Last edited:

steve67

Apr 7, 2024
Uk
I have a 2022 Cube Reaction EXC 750 29er and it is probably the best thing I have ever bought, I have no experience of any other ebikes however, once i am happy thats me set for life, it is prefect for my riding enjoyment.
Good to hear... Same here no ebike experience, but reliability of the motor and electronics is a concern

HowieG

Subscriber
Apr 7, 2024
Sheffield
Good to hear... Same here no ebike experience, but reliability of the motor and electronics is a concern
I have done c6500k of trouble free riding, no glitches of any knid and whilst I am not an agressive off road rider it does get some hammer and up to present it's faultless. As put in an earlier post, it does eat pads expensive or cheap however, thats the weight and living in hilly Sheffield.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
...then don't buy one as it will only end in tears .
I could almost copy word for word @The EMF 's post above ..
While I had the same concerns prior to buying my bike I'm also on to my 3rd motor the most recent being 2 weeks ago ..and have followed the same fault pattern as his bike ( we ride together most of the time ) ..
What price happiness though ..?
I'm pretty serious with my advice ..if the cost of replacing the motor at some stage ( outside of a warranty period ) is a worry then don't buy an ebike ..because it will fail at some point ..its just a matter of when ..( sorry 😞)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles