Used Bike Advice Please

Drop_the_Mike

Apr 19, 2020
Canada
I'm itching to pull the trigger on my first EMTB.
I am working off the Best 25 Review that many of you are familiar with:
The best eMTB of 2020: We’ve compared 25 eMTBs in our biggest group test ever | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine
And I am working off of PinkBike for what is available to ship to me in Canada.
Here's what I have found:
1) Specialized Turbo Levo - 2017 - black - $1,800 USD
2) Specialized Turbo Levo Comp - 2017 - black - $4,000 USD
3) Specialized Turbo Levo Comp - 2019 - blue/neon - $4,000 USD
4) Specialized Turbo Levo Expert Carbon - 2018 - grey/silver - $4,400 USD

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Well if you and others can put that aside, which of these do you think is the best get?
#3, but like Gary I personally wouldn't buy a secondhand ebike without a warranty, especially a Spec with their reputation for chewing through motors.

Drop_the_Mike

Apr 19, 2020
Canada
#3, but like Gary I personally wouldn't buy a secondhand ebike without a warranty, especially a Spec with their reputation for chewing through motors.

Specialized S-Works won their best in test of 25 amazing bikes.
Mind you I'm looking at the lesser model.
But does this bike really have that rep compared to other bikes?
What bikes in a similar range would you suggest then?
Thx

Drop_the_Mike

Apr 19, 2020
Canada
Ok I have another angle for you.
A friend is a Cannondale and Norco dealer.
He has a used 2019 Cannondale Mottera (140mm) for $3,100 USD
He has a new NEO 1 Mottera for $4,200 USD
And he can get any other of these 2 companies at a good deal.
What do you think of these two bikes and/or others from these two?
Thnx

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
I'm currently looking to buy an emtb also, and I've always bought online rather than local due t better pricing but have to say when I do get one it will be from a local shop rather than direct to customer purely due to possible warranty issues.

No help whatsoever to you but just thought I'd give my 2 cents.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Specialized S-Works won their best in test of 25 amazing bikes.
Mind you I'm looking at the lesser model.
But does this bike really have that rep compared to other bikes?
That magazine is a barely concealed advert, their "reviews" are a lot less than impartial and curiously Spec products always come out on top. They have also been studious in avoiding any discussion of reliability; I wonder why...:unsure:

Re: the Spec motor issues, judge for yourself...

Very Disappointed with my 2019 Specialized Levo - EMTB Forums
Any answers at Spesh day about motor and moisture issues ? - EMTB Forums

What bikes in a similar range would you suggest then?
Thx
If $4k is your max price for a new bike then you are likely to have to choose between a poor spec from an LBS with support available quickly or a direct sales brand with a much better spec but less timely support. If reliability is key I would recommend something with a Yamaha or Bosch motor; no motor is bulletproof, but they have a better rep for keeping going than Shimano and Brose.

Last edited:

Drop_the_Mike

Apr 19, 2020
Canada
That magazine is a barely concealed advert, their "reviews" are a lot less than impartial and curiously Spec products always come out on top. Also they have been studious in avoiding any discussion of reliability; I wonder why...:unsure:

Re: the Spec motor issues, judge for yourself...

Very Disappointed with my 2019 Specialized Levo - EMTB Forums
Any answers at Spesh day about motor and moisture issues ? - EMTB Forums

If $4k is your price range you are likely to have to choose between a poor spec from a local seller with good support or a direct sales brand with a much better spec. If reliability is key I would recommend something with a Yamaha or Bosch motor; no motor is bulletproof, but they have a better rep for keeping going than Shimano and Brose.

1) I can do without Specialized.
2) I can go up to $5k.
3) What do you think of the Cannondale options listed above?
4) What do you think of any Norco models?

thx

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
4k is poor spec :eek:
If you want a new FS ebike then yes, most non-direct sales bikes will have pretty basic suspension and drivetrain components at that price point even if compared to a non-ebike of ~50-60% of the cost.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Rail 5 is US$4999, I'm sure there are discounts on RRP to be had.

Drop_the_Mike

Apr 19, 2020
Canada
Rail 5 is US$4999, I'm sure there are discounts on RRP to be had.
I'll check it out.
Can you weigh in on the following for me:

A friend is a Cannondale and Norco dealer.
He has a used 2019 Cannondale Mottera (140mm) for $3,100 USD
And he has a new Mottera NEO 1 for $4,200 USD
What do you think of these and/or any Cannondale or Norco bikes that I might be able to
get from him new or used?
My budget is max $5000 USD
Honestly - I'm 42, weekend rider, not in great shape, not doing technical ups/downs.
So I'm looking for reliable and all around solid.

Thx

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Don't buy second hand unless you have a cast iron guarantee that the full warranty can be transferred, and even then it will only be the remaining warranty from the original purchase date.

The Gen 4 Bosch Performance CX is so much better than the Gen 2 (there was no Gen 3) that it's not even funny so I wouldn't consider any bike that uses the Gen 2 (easily identified by the small, 15T or so, chainring)

A 2020 Motera Neo 1 for $4200 is an absolute bargain, are you sure you've got the model right?

Last edited:

Drop_the_Mike

Apr 19, 2020
Canada
Don't buy second hand unless you have a cast iron guarantee that the full warranty can be transferred, and even then it will only be the remaining warranty from the original purchase date.

The Gen 4 Bosch Performance CX is so much better than the Gen 2 (there was no Gen 3) that it's not even funny so I wouldn't consider any bike that uses the Gen 2 (easily identified by the small, 15T or so, chainring)

A 2020 Motera Neo 1 for $4200 is an absolute bargain, are you you've got the model right?
That's helpful thx.
Here's the one he has new - It's 2019 Moterra NEO1
2019 Cannondale Moterra NEO 1 E-Bike
Yes he's a good bud and it's warranty and he'll hook me up with whatever could come up.
Should I jump on it if he still has it?

Thx

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
No, I said the 2020 Neo 1 would be an absolute bargain at $4200, not the 2019. You said it was "new" so I assumed it was a 2020.

Ask him what's the best price he can do on a 2020 Neo 3 as that's the one most likely to be in your budget. Then ask what price he can do with a 625Wh battery.

Drop_the_Mike

Apr 19, 2020
Canada
No, I said the 2020 Neo 1 would be an absolute bargain at $4200, not the 2019. You said it was "new" so I assumed it was a 2020.

Ask him what's the best price he can do on a 2020 Neo 3 as that's the one most likely to be in your budget. Then ask what price he can do with a 625Wh battery.

Ok I will ask him.
Any similar solid rides in Norco?
thx

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
If you want a new FS ebike then yes, most non-direct sales bikes will have pretty basic suspension and drivetrain components at that price point even if compared to a non-ebike of ~50-60% of the cost.

Ahhhhh....the classic mtb snobbery has reared it's head (y)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
giphy.gif

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Ahhhhh....the classic mtb snobbery has reared it's head (y)
Not snobbery, just a fact. Here’s an example - the cheapest Cube Stereo Hybrid over here is £2999 (~$3700), and that has a Recon RL fork and SX Eagle.

CUBE Stereo Hybrid 120 Pro 500 29 green´n´green 2020

Nothing wrong with those components (though tbh I’m not a fan of Eagle 12 speed, it seems way more pernickety on setup than a 1x11); they will be great for most weekend riders. I have a Recon on my clockwork trail bike and it’s fine for my very moderate skills. However you would find those components (or better) on a non-e trail bike for around half that, less if you are prepared to buy from Go Outdoors...

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15903684/calibre-bossnut-mountain-bike-15903684

PS - Levos now have a better spec on the base model in 2020, but they are also a lot more expensive (£4250/$5300); you pays your money and all that (as long as they are Brose powered I won’t be interested...)

Specialized 2020 Turbo Levo

Last edited:

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Is that a contradiction ?
Honestly, what is your beef here? My only point is that (at a given price point) you will get lower end components on a locally supported bike than you will on a direct sales one. Which you care most about (local support or component level) is up to you, but at the £3-4k price point it's a fact you are only going to get the lower end groupsets and suspension components from SRAM, Shimano, Rockshox and Fox on an LBS bike. Over and out.

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
No beef though it seems you take offence to being questioned.

A local Cube dealer can get me a 4k bike that IMO is perfectly good components for my needs, it doesn't have to be all singing all dancing.

This just reminds me of STW 20 years ago when if you didn't have the best of the best you were treated and seen as not worthy, just saying.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
A local Cube dealer can get me a 4k bike that IMO is perfectly good components for my needs, it doesn't have to be all singing all dancing.
How much is a mandraulic Cube to the same spec?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
This just reminds me of STW 20 years ago when if you didn't have the best of the best you were treated and seen as not worthy, just saying.
20 years ago STW was actually a great forum.
You didn't even need a log in to post replys and it was mainly frequented by 30 somethings with an actual sense of humour, They weren't all snowflakes and there was very little moderation required.
Nowadays, from what I've seen it's mainly just the same 20 or so precious 50 something overly sensitive "premium" bawbags pandering to two overly opinionated moderators who don't actually even ride bikes anymore. Oh... and a tired old magazine with shit journos desperately scraping the barrel to remain relevant.
I still like Chips tho.

Were you there back in the GoFar days?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles