Upgraded suspension service

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Right back at the beginning of 2020 when I bought my Whyte e150rs, I decided to upgrade my fork internals but I’ve also made it more difficult (for me) to know what service kit to buy, I fitted a charger damper RC2.1 and the upgrade air damper with the larger seal head in either late 2020 or early 2021, I also changed the oils and lubes so now I’m pretty sure it’s technically a Lyrik ultimate but I’m not 100% certain on this, (it was a Lyrik Select +) I want to do a service that will include the charger damper but I’m unsure which kit to buy, if there is anyone else that’s done the same thing or someone with a lot more knowledge than I have that can me advise me, any help would be appreciated please

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I did the same with a Yari, turning it into a Lyrik. The 50 hour stuff I.e. wipers, seals, crush washers etc. remain unchanged. The damper is the damper, so you just need the appropriate kit like this.

The service itself can be tricky. The BIG thing you have to make absolutely sure of is you get all the air out of the bladder & it takes patience. Mine is coming due soon, the last time I did it, it took 30 minutes of vacuuming & pressurising the bladder before I was certain it was free of bubbles. If you don't bleed it thoroughly, the oil will turn to milkshake & your damping will suffer. It's not difficult to do, just a lengthy process compared to say a motion control fork where you just pour oil in & button everything up.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Many thanks for your reply mate, much appreciated, thanks for the link to TF Tuned and the video as well, the syringe that was used in the video, is that the same one that’s used in the bleeding process on Sram bleeding edge brakes, aside from that I can’t see any other thing I haven’t got aside from the soft jaws that is 👍😉

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I honestly can't remember but I did buy the kit from EPS here.

Rockshox sell vice grips especially designed for this service but they're not cheap. I did recently rebuild a Monarch shock & drilled a hole in a bit of wood, then split it in half to create a soft grip for holding the damper shaft, so there are ghetto solutions. Otherwise, just buy a pair of cheapy magnetic soft jaws off Ebay. You don't need much force at all to hold the damper in place at an angle but you cant do it without using a vice.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Brilliant mate, thanks for that, I’ve bought the bleed kit, I’ll look for some soft jaws now 😉👍

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Also, if you're minded to go beyond the bladder service, this guy shows how to disassemble & rebuild the compression & rebound assembly. My view of that is if it's working ok, I would leave it be but it's there if you fancy.

Interesting thing I heard from a video with TF Tuned recently is lots of people tend to do a 50 hour service but avoid the 200 & one problem with Charger dampers is the bladder takes on oil from the lower leg over time which if left can cause the bladder to split as it effectively beomes overfilled, so you're on the right path servicing it.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I’m watching the first video now and I’ll watch this one next, I’m not trying to be a tight git but do you need to change the seal head and foot nut, I fitted a Debonair upgrade for the air side in 2021, if they have to be changed then I’ll change them, I also can’t see the glide ring in any of the pictures for the charger damper, do you know if it’s included in the kit please

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Don't remember needing a glide ring but if it's required, the TF kit will have it for sure. Seal head & foot nut, you probably should change but if they're unworn, no reason you can't get away with it.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Cheers buddy, I’ll get in touch with TF and see for sure if the glide ring is included, I can always keep the seal head and footnut as spares for just in case they wear out or get damaged in the future, thanks for all your advice mate, that’s what I love about this forum, always someone who has the knowledge and willingness to help others 🙏🙏👍👍

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
My Epic bleed solutions kit just arrived but on opening the kit it’s clear from what I can see that the bleeding process is different from that process in the above video, oh well if it achieves the same end result I’m happy, I’ll look at the instructions and the video and I suppose all will become clearer 👍
And a massive shout out to Epic Bleed Solutions because I placed the order for the kit yesterday at 11 am and it arrived this morning before 10 am, less than 24 turnaround, Epic service 🥴

Last edited:

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Is it not as the one in the link above? All it should be is a syringe & the hose & adapter to connect to the bleed port on the damper.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Yeah it’s the same but in the instructions it looks like the larger of the two connectors screws into the top of the charger damper

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
You have bought the charger 2 kit right? You should only have to connect to the bleed port on the damper body like this. Pretty sure it's only the first gen charger damper that bleed through the top.

Untitled.png

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
You have bought the charger 2 kit right? You should only have to connect to the bleed port on the damper body like this. Pretty sure it's only the first gen charger damper that bleed through the top.

View attachment 143335
Oh right I get what you mean, yeah the smaller connector is the one that screws into the bleed port on the side, excuse my stupidity, I’ve never done this before so it’s a little alien to me 🥴

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
I use these soft jaws work ok
green ones have precut grooves don’t know f they’ll work with rockshox as I haven’t tried yet
but will do once I do my service and upgrade to charger 3.1

Can’t post url for some reason
search Amazon for

Tamwell 2 Pack Soft Vise Jaw Covers​

Last edited:

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Nah it's all good, should be clearer once you pull the damper out of the stanchion (y)
I hope so mate, give me a heating system and I’m in my element but technical stuff outside my comfort zone and I’m stuffed 🤣

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I use these soft jaws work ok
green ones have precut grooves don’t know f they’ll work with rockshox as I haven’t tried yet
but will do once I do my service and upgrade to charger 3.1

Can’t post url for some reason
search Amazon for

Tamwell 2 Pack Soft Vise Jaw Covers​

Thanks buddy, I’ve already bought some soft jaws from eBay, if they don’t work I will look at the ones you’re recommending 🙏🙏👍👍

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I hope so mate, give me a heating system and I’m in my element but technical stuff outside my comfort zone and I’m stuffed 🤣
Top tip. Take photos as you go, then you have a reference if you need it when reassembling.

SP SUSPENSION

Mar 1, 2023
Scottsdale, AZ
Right back at the beginning of 2020 when I bought my Whyte e150rs, I decided to upgrade my fork internals but I’ve also made it more difficult (for me) to know what service kit to buy, I fitted a charger damper RC2.1 and the upgrade air damper with the larger seal head in either late 2020 or early 2021, I also changed the oils and lubes so now I’m pretty sure it’s technically a Lyrik ultimate but I’m not 100% certain on this, (it was a Lyrik Select +) I want to do a service that will include the charger damper but I’m unsure which kit to buy, if there is anyone else that’s done the same thing or someone with a lot more knowledge than I have that can me advise me, any help would be appreciated please
Based on the info provided, 00.4318.025.120 looks to be your kit. If you would like I can 100% confirm with your serial number.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Also, if you're minded to go beyond the bladder service, this guy shows how to disassemble & rebuild the compression & rebound assembly. My view of that is if it's working ok, I would leave it be but it's there if you fancy.

Interesting thing I heard from a video with TF Tuned recently is lots of people tend to do a 50 hour service but avoid the 200 & one problem with Charger dampers is the bladder takes on oil from the lower leg over time which if left can cause the bladder to split as it effectively beomes overfilled, so you're on the right path servicing it.

I did the same with a Yari, turning it into a Lyrik. The 50 hour stuff I.e. wipers, seals, crush washers etc. remain unchanged. The damper is the damper, so you just need the appropriate kit like this.

The service itself can be tricky. The BIG thing you have to make absolutely sure of is you get all the air out of the bladder & it takes patience. Mine is coming due soon, the last time I did it, it took 30 minutes of vacuuming & pressurising the bladder before I was certain it was free of bubbles. If you don't bleed it thoroughly, the oil will turn to milkshake & your damping will suffer. It's not difficult to do, just a lengthy process compared to say a motion control fork where you just pour oil in & button everything up.

I did the same as you with the Yari,
2.1 upgrade ans I purchased a spare bladder just incase when servicing
Saves finding out when you doing the service

Screenshot_20240709_100521_eBay.jpg

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I’m sorry for the late reply guys, work has been hectic ☹️ many thanks for all the advice and links to videos, I think I’m going to buy the kit from TF Tuned and keep the parts I don’t need straight away as spares, I’m hoping I don’t need another bladder as the service kit isn’t cheap but it is what it is, thanks again guys 👍😉

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles