Upgraded cassette to 11-46t. Now derailleur is too short

MadWes

Jul 15, 2021
Bornholm, Denmark
I have just upgraded the 10 speed cassette on my 2019 Focus Bold2 from 11-40 to 11-46. Reason being that the old cassette was worn out and needed to be changed, and the only 10-speed cassette I could get my hands on was the 11-46.

Problem is now that the derailleur is too short and that pulley wheel cannot fit under the 46t sprocket.

I have tried to google for a solution and have come across Wolfteeth Goatlink and long cage derailleurs, but I am not really sure if any of these options will work.

It seems that there already is some kind of extender between the frame and the derailleur, on the Focus Bold2 (see attached photos). This is possibly to make the derailleur capable of accommodating the original 11-40 cassette.

Question is: Will Goatlink make it possible to use my existing Shimano Deore XT derailleur?

The other option - a long cage derailleur also seems to be tricky. I have been looking at the specs for all the Shimano Deore XT derailleurs I have been able to find, and none of these seem to be able to handle more that 42t on the largest rear sprocket.

Question here is: Does Shimano market a 10 speed derailleur that is capable of handling 46t? If yes, which one?

Tnx. in advance

Mads

IMG_2570.JPG

IMG_2574.JPG

IMG_2571.JPG

IMG_2572.JPG

IMG_2573.JPG

TR5_20

Nov 22, 2020
Scotland
I have just upgraded the 10 speed cassette on my 2019 Focus Bold2 from 11-40 to 11-46. Reason being that the old cassette was worn out and needed to be changed, and the only 10-speed cassette I could get my hands on was the 11-46.

Problem is now that the derailleur is too short and that pulley wheel cannot fit under the 46t sprocket.

I have tried to google for a solution and have come across Wolfteeth Goatlink and long cage derailleurs, but I am not really sure if any of these options will work.

It seems that there already is some kind of extender between the frame and the derailleur, on the Focus Bold2 (see attached photos). This is possibly to make the derailleur capable of accommodating the original 11-40 cassette.

Question is: Will Goatlink make it possible to use my existing Shimano Deore XT derailleur?

The other option - a long cage derailleur also seems to be tricky. I have been looking at the specs for all the Shimano Deore XT derailleurs I have been able to find, and none of these seem to be able to handle more that 42t on the largest rear sprocket.

Question here is: Does Shimano market a 10 speed derailleur that is capable of handling 46t? If yes, which one?

Tnx. in advance

Mads

View attachment 66838

View attachment 66839

View attachment 66840

View attachment 66841

View attachment 66842
I recently fitted a Deore derailleur to suit my 11-46 cassette. Works fine.
It says RD-M5120-SGS on the box.
Hope that helps.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Yes @RustyMTB - B-screw is all the way in and the chains is still pinched between the jockey wheel and the 46t sprocket.
OK, always worth checking the zero cost option first. I guess you want to use the full range of your cassette because why wouldn't you? so the options are fit a different derailleur or an extender like the Wolftooth. I've never used one but here's a guy who found himself in your position. It worked for him.

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
@MadWes I can confirm the Wolftooth Goat Link will do the job perfectly. I made this exact mod on my accoustic bike, worked beautifully. I think Wolftooth sell longer b-screws as well, but you probably won't need one, I didn't

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I’ve used one of these on a couple of bikes now where I’ve converted them to a 1 x 9 or 10 system and a wider range rear cassette.

35D19947-EA97-4CC0-AD1A-A400B2EABBBD.jpeg

if you search for ‘SunRace Unisex's Extended Link Derailleur Accessory, Black, 2.25cm’ on Amazon, you should find it.

Only a tenner but work well.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
You didn’t post a photo of the derailleur arm and tension pulley on the second to lowest gear position, so might pay to double check that your chain might now be too short (instead of the derailleur arm)?

MadWes

Jul 15, 2021
Bornholm, Denmark
UPDATE: I ended up choosing to install a Shimano RD-M5120-SGS derailleur. It does the job and is working like a dream. The gear distribution on the new 11-46 cassette feels much more harmonic and balanced than the old 11-40 cassette that I took off the bike.

As an added bonus it was the first time I exchanged cassette and derailleur without any assistance. It feels like a bit of a victory.

Thanks to everybody who contributed with advice on a solution. It is greatly appreciated.

Manc44

Jun 22, 2021
Manchester
Here's a calc I made for just such a thing, it tells you the mm increase or decrease when changing tooth count, for sprockets or chainrings. It can be handy if you have a bottle cage bolt low down near your front mech clamp and want to see if a bigger chainring can fit.

There's 2 files but they are the same thing, one's for old Excel the other for newer.

gaz_moose

Jan 27, 2024
midlands
my 10 speed setup is,
Saint shifter
XT M8000 GS 11 speed derailleur
11-46 deore cassette.
116 link chain.
i did run it with a 11-48 Advent 10 speed cassette and it indexed fine but the cassette was faulty so i slapped the deore on.

i did try a SGS 11 speed derailleur with the 11-48 but the B tension gap was about 20mm with the screw removed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles