UK law

Growmac

Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
My first ebike was a chinese import, hub drive, with throttle, £250, a decade ago
But nobody was paying attention back then so it was absolutely fine. Rode it without issues for 6 years

eBikes with throttles were legal until a few years ago, 2016 or 2018, can't remember but I'm sure someone will know. If your bike is from before that date it remains legal I think? Definitely not okay for a new bike now though.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
Seeing our leaders do what they want I'd just do same

And why do I constantly get adverts for giant foam hands here.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Hi I’m based in the UK and recently decided to do my bit for the environment by giving up my motorbike In favour of an environmentally friendly Electric Mountain Bike.
I purchased the bike from amazon the bike has 3 Working Modes Pedal mode, Pedal assist mode, throttle mode, and comes with a 250W brushless gear motor. Top speed: 25km/h = 15.7mph.
I felt the throttle mode would be very useful as I’m in my late 60s and this was one of the main reasons I purchased the bike.
I now find that UK law does not support throttle mode and if I take the bike out on the road I will be breaking the law
If I’m only using Pedal assist mode will I still be breaking the law or is there some other work around for this situation to make my bike legal in the UK any help would be greatly appreciated.
Theres a few going about my place that you dont peddle not that it bothers me. You would think they would get pulled up by the police though.

Manc44

Jun 22, 2021
Manchester
Pedal assist is more dangerous, at least on mine where it powers the bike if I backpedal or simply wheel the bike backwards. Always have to remember to turn the motor down to zero (or off) first and I get caught out by it every now and then.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I honestly wouldnt worry unless you absolutely want to follow the law, then in that case - remove the hand throttle.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles