UK law

Steve Gray

Jan 18, 2022
Normanton
Hi I’m based in the UK and recently decided to do my bit for the environment by giving up my motorbike In favour of an environmentally friendly Electric Mountain Bike.
I purchased the bike from amazon the bike has 3 Working Modes Pedal mode, Pedal assist mode, throttle mode, and comes with a 250W brushless gear motor. Top speed: 25km/h = 15.7mph.
I felt the throttle mode would be very useful as I’m in my late 60s and this was one of the main reasons I purchased the bike.
I now find that UK law does not support throttle mode and if I take the bike out on the road I will be breaking the law
If I’m only using Pedal assist mode will I still be breaking the law or is there some other work around for this situation to make my bike legal in the UK any help would be greatly appreciated.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
As far as I know, just having the throttle fitted means it is not road legal, not without license, insurance, number plate, etc. Saying you aren't using it won't wash, though if you removed it you'd be fine.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
As far as I know, just having the throttle fitted means it is not road legal, not without license, insurance, number plate, etc. Saying you aren't using it won't wash, though if you removed it you'd be fine.
I'm not sure... I think at the moment all uk laws are open to interpretation by precedent.

Like, you might know there's a national lockdown, groups aren't allowed, parties aren't allowed - you might even have made the rule yourself.

However, unless someone explicitly tells you that it's not for any given situation, then how are you - as an individual, supposed to have the intelligence to work out if the law actually applies ? So yes, it seems you can de-restrict, have a throttle - do what the hell you like really - unless someone actually tells you that you can't at that very moment, but then if they do, you can just say you don't remember it and it's fine :)

I say go for go for it, maybe buy a mop to stick on your head if you're worried.

Staff member
Subscriber
Jul 15, 2020
FORUM
Zimm, s'il vous plaît essayez de ne pas vous égarer dans la politique dans le forum.

Sorry - google translate.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The bike is illegal anywhere the public has access...not just the highway. Your only option is to have the throttle capability removed/disabled. Then you are good to go.
If you retain the throttle the bike is no longer a pedelec and becomes a moped. That then requires DVLC registration, lights, horn, tax, insurance, MOT when due and you have to wear a M/C helmet when riding.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I reckon you'll probably get the same answer to the identical thread you posted on Pedelecs. Which break's down to -
Just use it and don’t ride like a dick

The police arent bothered unless you're doing 40 in a 30 etc, or cause an accident. Of course if you are in an accident, and someone else is involved, you could be facing serious charges.
Personally I dont understand this need for speed.

Winger

May 28, 2020
Birmingham
It’s already been said it’s illegal...and when their enough of them sold the law will have a clamp down the same as they have with e-scooters.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
It’s already been said it’s illegal...and when their enough of them sold the law will have a clamp down the same as they have with e-scooters.
What clamp down? You can now just walk up and hire one in the street to use on the queens highway in London 🤷🏻‍♂️

they are more popular than ever

ED6F7905-81F2-4357-82DB-83AE59B8DEB2.jpeg

Winger

May 28, 2020
Birmingham
Someone else who hasn’t done his/her home work ....that photo shows what is part of a government approved test scheme...which is no bench mark for Mr private punter....cuz it’s highly likely they pull the plug on them.

Thats the scooter park not Robs vid 😀😳

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Hardly the crime of the century. And judging by the number of Deliveroo riders in London completely not giving a shit. It would seem the police don’t either 👍🏻
Agree jim most of these delivery bikes have a throttle and I thought as long as they don’t go over the 16mph limit like scooters it’s fine !

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
This is what I keep telling the ladies :

1642753348887.png

OK, it's American and not UK - but which is going to cause more accidents ? People will either be vomiting their eye balls straight out of their heads or just passing out from extreme pain to the visual cortex :

1642753465268.png

Why would you do that to a mid-engined Fiero ?

I think I need a name change.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
A quick googling gave the answer that no it is not legal to ride an electric bike with a throttle without a moped driver's license

It's mainly down to the laws and regulations on electric bikes that mean we are unable to sell ebikes with throttles. In the UK, bikes with throttles are classed as a motorbike and you will need to get a licence, register the bike and tax it. This is why we just produce EAPC bikes so that you can ride them just like a regular push bike and not worry about a thing.

Some of our electric bikes have a "walk assist" feature allowing you to push the ebike with the power up to 3mph. This gives you a little extra help up hills and ramps.

Phoenix

Dec 29, 2021
Devon
My first ebike was a chinese import, hub drive, with throttle, £250, a decade ago
But nobody was paying attention back then so it was absolutely fine. Rode it without issues for 6 years
Honestly think the police have much better things to do, like arresting peaceful protesters, than monitoring this (even if they knew what to look for) unless you're being a dick
But as said, if you are involved in an accident on a public road, problems gonna b comin...
Bit of a dumb law imo, as switching modes on a full fat bike instead of shifting in town, has much the same effect as a throttle, but its the law ...

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
The law is the law. It's down to you to decide if the risk is worth it. OTOH the only prosecutions I've ever heard of in the UK were when the Met wanted to clear out the Tuk tuk's in London or the odd dodgy scooter boy mowing down hapless grannies. The feds are busy enough elsewhere, so if you ride discreetly, the odds of getting pinched are negligible imo.

Steve Gray

Jan 18, 2022
Normanton
The bike is illegal anywhere the public has access...not just the highway. Your only option is to have the throttle capability removed/disabled. Then you are good to go.
If you retain the throttle the bike is no longer a pedelec and becomes a moped. That then requires DVLC registration, lights, horn, tax, insurance, MOT when due and you have to wear a M/C helmet when riding.
would this solve my problem
2022-01-21 at 11-02-06.png

Steve Gray

Jan 18, 2022
Normanton
A quick googling gave the answer that no it is not legal to ride an electric bike with a throttle without a moped driver's license

It's mainly down to the laws and regulations on electric bikes that mean we are unable to sell ebikes with throttles. In the UK, bikes with throttles are classed as a motorbike and you will need to get a licence, register the bike and tax it. This is why we just produce EAPC bikes so that you can ride them just like a regular push bike and not worry about a thing.

Some of our electric bikes have a "walk assist" feature allowing you to push the ebike with the power up to 3mph. This gives you a little extra help up hills and ramps.
Thanks for the information very helpful however i still have some concerns most people new to ebikes are not aware of UK law so it looks like there’s going to be a lot of convictions because companies selling on amazon are flooding the market with illegal ebikes that have 3 Working Modes Pedal mode, Pedal assist mode, and (illegal throttle mode).

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
we are talking a bout the UK though :p
Well I was in wales over Christmas and kids were two up cruising about on e scooters everywhere.

absolutely zero fcuks for law.

so it’s not just London mate. It’s everywhere in the uk 😜

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles