Tyres!!

Trumpet

Mar 2, 2019
Stamford lincs
I might possibly be the only one, and I expect a volley of rotten tomatoes lobbed in my direction, but am I the only one who doesn't have much luck with Schwalbe rubber rings? I've currently got a Magic Mary/Nobby Nic combo on the Stereo, but they just don't tickle my pickle. Especially the front end feedback with the MM. So for general aggressive trail riding, bit of bike park and trail centre faffery, what combos do people suggest?

Cheers.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I might possibly be the only one, and I expect a volley of rotten tomatoes lobbed in my direction, but am I the only one who doesn't have much luck with Schwalbe rubber rings? I've currently got a Magic Mary/Nobby Nic combo on the Stereo, but they just don't tickle my pickle. Especially the front end feedback with the MM. So for general aggressive trail riding, bit of bike park and trail centre faffery, what combos do people suggest?

Cheers.
DHR2 front and rear is working well for me in 2.4 Maxx Terra Exo flavour.

Alternative DHF in 2.5

In fact Maxxis Minion DHR2 / DHF tyres are my absolute favourite now. Just swapped out from a 2.35 Magic Mary Addix on the Radon Swoop and much more confidence with the Minions.

Trumpet

Mar 2, 2019
Stamford lincs
DHR2 front and rear is working well for me in 2.4 Maxx Terra Exo flavour.

Alternative DHF in 2.5

In fact Maxxis Minion DHR2 / DHF tyres are my absolute favourite now. Just swapped out from a 2.35 Magic Mary Addix on the Radon Swoop and much more confidence with the Minions.

You've basically shortlisted what I've been looking at all day Rob. Was tossing up between Minion's or High Rollers.. I've had good experiences with Spesh Butchers and ground control on my Hardtail.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
You've basically shortlisted what I've been looking at all day Rob. Was tossing up between Minion's or High Rollers.. I've had good experiences with Spesh Butchers and ground control on my Hardtail.
I’ve got 3 sets of DHR / DHF now In different compounds, real nice to mix and match when needed. DHR2 front (Maxx Grip) and rear (Maxx Terra) today in slippery conditions worked great. Slow rolling and draggy but grips well.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
High Roller 3C Maxx Terra (29x2.5) front and rear works for me.
According to Maxxis, the HR has a slightly wider terrain range than the Minion.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
I've not heard of many people not connecting with mm. What tyres pressures you running and what terrain?

She's a grippy bitch imo.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Running 23 psi up front. Rode the local trail centre which is hardpack and the front just felt like it wanted to wash out.
They can "feel" like that, being a wet conditions tread. But they don't.
sounds like they haven't actually washed on you.
Trust them.
They hold on well past what you think but don't "feel" as attached as a DHF on hardpack. if you get what I'm saying.
DHFs/DHRIIs wash out too eventually. All tyres do. When they do wash MMs re-gain the grip slightly differently to the Minions.
I suggest learning grip limit (on every tyre TBH). the only way to learn this is to pus PAST the limit.

Also what weight are you?
23psi is quite low (if we're talking the 2.35, if not WHY not? ;) )

Last edited:

Trumpet

Mar 2, 2019
Stamford lincs
They can "feel" like that, being a wet conditions tread. But they don't.
sounds like they haven't actually washed on you.
Trust them.
They hold on well past what you think but don't "feel" as attached as a DHF on hardpack. if you get what I'm saying.
DHFs/DHRIIs wash out too eventually. All tyres do. When they do wash MMs re-gain the grip slightly differently to the Minions.
I suggest learning grip limit (on every tyre TBH). the only way to learn this is to pus PAST the limit.

Also what weight are you?

2.5 width. I weigh around 15.5 st.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
To get good advice on tyre choice you need to be way less vague in what you want, what you don't want. How you ride and where you ride.

8/10 people will just reply with what they run. Which on it's own isn't helpful at all.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
2.5 width. I weigh around 15.5 st.
Try adding pressure for hardpack. the sidewalls should then give you more corner support.
You haven't said which casing though.
The tougher casings will stay in shape better at lower poressures than the lighters ones.

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe

Cheers.

I kind of hate the Nobby Nick which came stock on my previos non-eBike, because I tore the sidewall in the first month, and because they don’t corner well in sand. I used to like Schwalbe Alberts though.

In the rocky, sandy deserts here in Arizona Specialized Butch Grids work well; very predictable in sand, amazing grip on hardoack and decent on rock. Only part where they might not be so great is sidehilling on rock; they betrayed me once. Shockingly fast wear on pavement and very slow everywhere though. Still, my current favorite.

The only reason I haven’t tried the Minion DHRII and DHF which have similar tread (nice wide channel between center knobs and outside) is just that they never seem to be in stock at any shop when I need tires.

Trumpet

Mar 2, 2019
Stamford lincs
I kind of hate the Nobby Nick which came stock on my previos non-eBike, because I tore the sidewall in the first month, and because they don’t corner well in sand. I used to like Schwalbe Alberts though.

In the rocky, sandy deserts here in Arizona Specialized Butch Grids work well; very predictable in sand, amazing grip on hardoack and decent on rock. Only part where they might not be so great is sidehilling on rock; they betrayed me once. Shockingly fast wear on pavement and very slow everywhere though. Still, my current favorite.

The only reason I haven’t tried the Minion DHRII and DHF which have similar tread (nice wide channel between center knobs and outside) is just that they never seem to be in stock at any shop when I need tires.

I'm leaning towards Butcher's myself

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here

What is a good starting pressure for tire with a stiffer sidewall? I'm running 17psi front and 22-23 rear. Would you say that pressure is crazy low? I ride a bit of hard pack, a lot of sugar sand and rooty, muddy, grassy tracks. MMs are mounted up, 2.35 front, 2.6 rear, orange striped.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What is a good starting pressure for tire with a stiffer sidewall? I'm running 17psi front and 22-23 rear. Would you say that pressure is crazy low? I ride a bit of hard pack, a lot of sugar sand and rooty, muddy, grassy tracks. MMs are mounted up, 2.35 front, 2.6 rear, orange striped.
Depends what you weigh
and what sidewalls you're actually talking about.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You're about the same weight as me and that's far too low for my riding style in mud nevermind hard pack.
I have no idea what your riding style is though.
A 2.35 at 17psi would fold in corners for me. If it hasn't for you you probably don't corner as aggressively.
It's all personal preference though.
Lower pressures will offer more grip but that grip won't work without sidewall support too.

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
You're about the same weight as me and that's far too low for my riding style in mud nevermind hard pack.
I have no idea what your riding style is though.
A 2.35 at 17psi would fold in corners for me. If it hasn't for you you probably don't corner as aggressively.
It's all personal preference though.
Lower pressures will offer more grip but that grip won't work without sidewall support too.

Typical, daily ride is 10-12 miles, 2/3rds two-track/jeep trails over rough ground or sugar sand with 1/3rd mucky/rooty single track and no banked turns. Weekends allow for longer rides and trips to the bike parks with real MTB tracks.

Running 17 psi front/22 psi rear on 27.5 wheels running 2.8 MMs/addix. Just received some 29" Spank Oozy Trails and now experimenting with tire pressures to get the most comfy ride. May have to re-adjust the suspension for the new hoops, but it was dialed in on the plush side using the 27.5s.

Avyoung

Nov 28, 2018
Canada
Running 23 psi up front. Rode the local trail centre which is hardpack and the front just felt like it wanted to wash out.

I don’t think you are wrong here. Sand over hard packed is not the MM forte. I did find making a half depth sipe on the intermediate knobs reduces the slides on moderate lean angles. In soft or wet conditions the MM is fantastic! In dry conditions just learn to lean it over further by pushing the bike down more to engage the side knobs more. (And perhaps consider adding some siping to the intermediate knobs)

Having said this, I usually like the Maxxis DHF/DHR2... lately I have been loving maximum grip using the Maxxis Assegai DH casing MaxxGrip compound tire! So consistent... perhaps give it a try!

Last edited:

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
MM knobs are like tear offs.

Currently running DHF, DHR2 and HR2 in various sizes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles