Tyres

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I have been experimenting with some different tyres and wheel sizes on my levo, here is what I found
2.8 butchers very crap in mud
2.8 magic marys on standard wheels very horrid in the forest of dean black gloop we have at the moment sliding about with no grip
Same setup but on narrower rims (30mm) slightly better but still horrid

29er on the front with a 2.5 shorty fantastic grip and very precise steering
27.5 on the back with a 2.4 nobby nick pretty good but spins out easy in mud and the bottom bracket is a little low tried a 2.8 nobby was bit better but still not to my liking.

29er 2.5 shorty on the front fantastic
29er 2.35 magic mary on the back fantastic
The mm at 2.35 is the same size as the 2.5 shorty and this setup is a keeper steering is precise grip in the horrid mud is fantastic and I think it will be just as good when it dries out. And probably a shorty at both ends will be just as good
Hope this is of interest to anyone who rides in Uk conditions. Anybody using 2.6 magic marys i would like to hear how they are in the mud. My conclusion is wide tyres dont like mud.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
My conclusion is wide tyres dont like mud.
That would be correct. The wide tyre has a lower surface pressure so doesn't cut through the mud as well as a narrow tyre.
2.8 magic marys on standard wheels very horrid in the forest of dean black gloop we have at the moment sliding about with no grip
That's both surprising and disappointing; Marys are the best mud tyre I've used, I ran them front and back on my Camber. At least I haven't bought any yet. I was wondering whether to go for 2.6 or 2.8

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
That would be correct. The wide tyre has a lower surface pressure so doesn't cut through the mud as well as a narrow tyre.

That's both surprising and disappointing; Marys are the best mud tyre I've used, I ran them front and back on my Camber. At least I haven't bought any yet. I was wondering whether to go for 2.6 or 2.8
The 2.35 are fantastic grip 2.6 i am hoping is a good seconder i have one on order to put on a 27.5 wheel my worry is it will put the BB a bit low but i will report as soon as i have tried it

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Specialized 2.6 Hillbilly brilliant mud tyre
good to hear I just bought one to try but not sure about the 2.6 measurement according to my calipers its 2.35!!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
good to hear I just bought one to try but not sure about the 2.6 measurement according to my calipers its 2.35!!
Looking forward to your test results.

Did you get round to testing a 2.6" Mary?

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Looking forward to your test results.

Did you get round to testing a 2.6" Mary?
No not yet but next on the list after the hillbilly which i will try tommorow if its not pissing down

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles