Tyre pressures

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
The wheel on my bike (Rockrider EST-520) says the tyre pressure should be 1.6 bars - just under 23 psi. Now, when I do that, it feels to soft. So, I have it about 2 bars (28 psi) and it feels OK. But is that too much for my tyres/wheels?

Alan

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There tends to be a max of two pressures moulded or printed onto a bike tyre. One is the maximum to avoid exploding the tyre off the rim. The other is the minimum to prevent the tyre rolling off the rim. These are from the tyre manufacturer's viewpoint to avoid claims from customers, so they are conservative. Since I got into mtb, I have never been anywhere close to the max pressure, and on this occasion, nor have you. The pressure you quote sounds like the minimum one to me.

After first going tubeless, there was a time when I used to experiment with how low could I go without rolling the tyre of the rim. I never actually did that because the tyre burped before I got to that level. By burped, I mean the bead let go briefly and sealant was spilled out. The tyre makes a burping noise when it does that and you get sealant on the rim.

You don't say how much you weigh, which is important, but you don't sound to be going too low to me. The key thing is to ride with tyres that give you the ride feel and grip you are looking for without suffering from burping or other unwanted effects. I spend time working out what pressures I should use for which tyre where I ride. So I use a digital tyre pressure gauge so that I can repeat the pressure every time I go out. Hot days and cold days make a difference. Try the Topeak Smarthead Digital Gauge D2.

Tredz have £5 off offers on the next order, normally sent to you just after you have just ordered!

Here is one that is good for the next 24 hours provide you spend £30. TP9TR5U9

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles