Tyre pressures again ??

Steve33

Nov 17, 2020
Kendal, UK
Hello

Newbie to ebikes, what tyre pressures are you all running. Is there a standard pressure or is it more suited to individuals and weight. I have a 2021 140 hybrid race

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Steve33 Welcome to the Forum :)

Sorry, no numbers from me! It depends upon your weight, your wheel size, tyre size and what sort of ride feel you are looking for. Tubeless or not is another factor.

The extra weight of an emtb may require some more pressure, but only if you were on the same wheels/tyre combo as your previous analogue bike. The tyres on emtbs tend to be wider (I went from 2.2" to 2.6") and that will usually mean lower pressures.

As I say, it depends. If you don't already have one, buy a Topeak D2 digital tyre pressure gauge. Experiment with pressure and when you find one you like use the gauge to record what it is. Then you can maintain it.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Same here.

I use a "seat of the pants" decision-making process: I habitually prefer higher pressures (gauged by squeezing the tire and seeing how the bike feels in motion) because low rolling resistance is A Thing for me.

But if I'm slipping around, I'll let air out by arbitrary amounts until I reach a decent compromise between rapid progress and grip.

It works.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When I was playing around with tyre pressures, I used the gauge and consequently I could let out just 1 psi at a time if I felt I was getting close. Once I was happy, I could return to that pressure every single time. If the trail conditions changed sufficiently for me to want to alter the pressure I could accurately increase or decrease pressure and without overshooting.

If I had a puncture that lost me some pressure, or if I had a flat that required some work, I could quickly return to the pressure I required.

The downside of course is that I have to carry the gauge!

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
When I was playing around with tyre pressures, I used the gauge and consequently I could let out just 1 psi at a time if I felt I was getting close. Once I was happy, I could return to that pressure every single time. If the trail conditions changed sufficiently for me to want to alter the pressure I could accurately increase or decrease pressure and without overshooting.

If I had a puncture that lost me some pressure, or if I had a flat that required some work, I could quickly return to the pressure I required.

The downside of course is that I have to carry the gauge!
I used to be pretty scientific about it too, Steve - until I realised it wasn't actually giving me anything extra, at which point I decided just to play with the pressure until it feels right for that ride. Because most rides are broadly the same from one to the next, it works out: and I know from experience, if I'm in different conditions, where I need my tires to be then too.

enCrypt

Sep 13, 2020
Douglas
I was going to ask this too...
I have 29 x 2.6 tyres front and rear (with tubes), an XL Rail 5, I'm around 85Kg fully kitted up and I tried 15PSI in the front and 20 in the back. This felt fine to me but I was a bit worried about pinch punctures so I've gone upto 18 front 23 rear. Probably still a little low but I'm not skilled enough to push the bike hard and would prefer grip over everything else...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles