Tyre pressure gauge

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Almost got the D2 like R120 said.. as I had been looking for an accurate low pressure gauge for plus size tires as I run 10-20psi.. verry hard to measure with an analoge gauge..
Finnally found this!
₪ 203.44 | Topeak TSUTG-03 Bicycle Digital SmartGauge Bike Electronic Tire Air Pressure Gauge 300 PSI LCD
₪ 203.44 | Topeak TSUTG-03 Bicycle Digital SmartGauge Bike Electronic Tire Air Pressure Gauge 300 PSI LCD
Not cheap! 58$.. but verry high quality! And.. it connects to your pump! So you pump thrue the gauge and see your pressure in real-time. No filling.. then checking..then repeating.
Just got it in the mail.. and it works amazing!
Verry recommended.
Tim

Screenshot_20191229_003028_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía

I have one of those. But here's the interesting problem with "accurate": I have analogue dial gauges on three different track pumps. These three analogue gauges all agree with each other on tyre pressure to within a whisker. The Topeak digital gauge reads 0.4 bar lower (around 6 psi).

Now, it's a bit like the time we tested some very expensive dynamic analysis computer software. Three programs gave similar answers but the fourth was significantly different. All we can say is that it's probably better to go with the majority verdict - and a rough manual calculation.

The same with the gauges. My thumb tells me that I trust the dial gauges more than the digital gauge. I could have sent it back (there are plenty of reviews online where folks have done just that), but from here the postage would have made it uneconomic. So I "recalibrate it" now and again against the analogue dial gauges (and my thumb) and just remember to add the difference. YMMV.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
I have one of those. But here's the interesting problem with "accurate": I have analogue dial gauges on three different track pumps. These three analogue gauges all agree with each other on tyre pressure to within a whisker. The Topeak digital gauge reads 0.4 bar lower (around 6 psi).

Now, it's a bit like the time we tested some very expensive dynamic analysis computer software. Three programs gave similar answers but the fourth was significantly different. All we can say is that it's probably better to go with the majority verdict - and a rough manual calculation.

The same with the gauges. My thumb tells me that I trust the dial gauges more than the digital gauge. I could have sent it back (there are plenty of reviews online where folks have done just that), but from here the postage would have made it uneconomic. So I "recalibrate it" now and again against the analogue dial gauges (and my thumb) and just remember to add the difference. YMMV.
You were referring to the D2 gauge!? I assume..
The problem with analog gauges is they are not linear, especially at the begining and end of the scale, they are most accurate in the middle of the scale. That's why the numbers on the dial are not evenly spaced, to try and correct for this. So trying to check 10 psi on a gauge that has a scale from zero to 250psi... That's just barely the first line on the scale... Verry innacurate. So in less you have a special low pressure gauge.. most likely it's the analogs that are wrong, even if they all agree.
But it's not the accuracy that is important here anyway, to be truthfully, just the consistency.
I don't care if the "real" pressure I ride with is 6psi or 10 psi... Just so I can reliably and consistently read it every time! And in the field.. this is the real reason for me getting a digital gauge. Not the "absolute" accuracy.
But still, just for sports sake, I will check mine against a good low pressure analog gauge.
Then get back to you.
Tim.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The problem with analog gauges is they are not linear, especially at the begining and end of the scale, they are most accurate in the middle of the scale. That's why the numbers on the dial are not evenly spaced, to try and correct for this. So trying to check 10 psi on a gauge that has a scale from zero to 250psi... That's just barely the first line on the scale... Verry innacurate. So in less you have a special low pressure gauge.. most likely it's the analogs that are wrong, even if they all agree.
But it's not the accuracy that is important here anyway, to be truthfully, just the consistency.
I don't care if the "real" pressure I ride with is 6psi or 10 psi... Just so I can reliably and consistently read it every time! And in the field.. this is the real reason for me getting a digital gauge. Not the "absolute" accuracy.
But still, just for sports sake, I will check mine against a good low pressure analog gauge.
Then get back to you.
Tim.
Spot on - my pumps all read differently but I use the digital gauge to set my pressures - essentially I over inflate the tyre by a few psi, then attach the digital gauge and us it to let air out till I get where I want pressure wise.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía

Yes. I bought it because it was supposed to be "accurate". Pumping to 2 bar on the three track pumps will show 1.4bar on the D2 every time. It's consistent, anway.

Tim.

Totally in agreement. I have finally got a set of pressures which work for a particular tyre, terrain and time of year. The main thing is that they are replicable. It really doesn't matter what the actual (true/absolute) pressure is, just that it corresponds to what I had previously.

That was my reason for putting the word "accurate" into quotes in my original post. This is not a "calibrated gauge" in the engineering sense. It's just easier to read than a dial gauge for intermediate values.

I think the takeaway from this is not to "believe" the numbers when accepting recommended pressures from someone else. Who says their gauge is anywhere near "accurate"? Or that yours is either?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Love hate relationship with my new digital. It’s accurate which is why I got it, but the bleed off button works fine on every bike we tried it on at my LBS - except on my bike at home! Can’t really return it now, can I? :rolleyes:
Stinky Presta valves! :mad:

316E580C-C835-4B61-8024-7C4093FF47D8.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had a D2 gauge for ten years trouble free use. Then the rubber seal failed (the one that presses against the tyre valve). When I say failed, I mean I had to jiggle the D2 about to get it to seal. So I gave it to my grandson and bought a new one. He never seems to have a problem with it. Maybe I'm just too picky? :giggle:

I don't really care whether it is accurate, it never entered my head. I found the tyre pressure I like to use and I can get it every time with the D2. :)

Recommended! (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles