Levo Gen 2 Turbo Levo Comp - Walk Assist Button in Terrible Place viz. the dropper post lever.

Gordonrides

Jun 9, 2020
Norway
The walk assist button on the handle bars is exactly above the dropper post lever. I can't get my thumb into the narrow space between the two. So I can't use the walk assist function. This is horrible design. What the heck are they thinking? Is there a work-around for this issue?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Depending what dropper leaver you're using and how you have your brakes setup, you can normally position and rotate the selector button and or dropper so you can access it quite easily. Do you have a picture ?

Gordonrides

Jun 9, 2020
Norway
I'll take a pic and get back to you. May take a little time however, as the bike is now in the shop bcs the Brose motor failed yesterday and I'm waiting for a new motor - could take up to a week or more they said, bcs of supply issues. Sigh.

This is a Comp model, so it uses Sram Guide equipment and the dropper post lever is attached right next to the left handle bar grip and from what I can tell is attached to the brake components. I could move the whole thing in towards the center of the bike, but then I would have a huge reach problem getting to the brakes. Obvously having the brakes in the right spot is far more important than the walk assist button, so it seems I have no choice but to leave it where it is. But I just can't believe that this set-up was deemed ok to ship to market.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'm on Shimano brakes, but the dropper is still attached to the original SRAM bracket in it's original place.

Easy to get to the "walk" button ("push the bike" button after upgrade), change modes, brake, use dropper ..

walk.jpg

Everyone likes their cockpit configured differently, so you can't really blame the bike shop if they've not set it up how you like it. They might have assumed you would just configure it how you liked it as soon as you got home.

Last edited:

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I'm on Shimano brakes, but the dropper is still attached to the original SRAM bracket in it's original place.

Easy to get to the walk button (push the bike bike button after upgrade), change modes, brake, use dropper ..

Everyone likes their cockpit configured differently, so you can't really blame the bike shop if they've not set it up how you like it. They might have assumed you would just configure it how you liked it as soon as you got home.
Couldn't agree more. Bike bike button?

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Can you not just rotate the walk assist button so it's more accessible?
Loosen the controls and spend a couple of minutes setting the brakes, levers and buttons as you prefer.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
There's a neat workaround for the dysfunctional walk mode, Salko, that you may not be aware of that's a very easy fix: lift rear wheel, push/hold the walk mode button and within four or five seconds it kicks in at the old speed which is actually quite brisk. That's not asking too much I don't think. Try it you'll like it.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
2 mm Allen wrench loosens the tightening bolt underneath the walk mode button assembly and you can rotate it upwards a bit away from the dropper post lever and retighten. These wrenches cost three bucks on Amazon with free shipping over $25 if you don't have one that small. Really simple. Take a look underneath and you'll see the bolt. Hope that helps. Your LBS probably forgot to adjust that when they assembled the bike.

ivano1

Oct 20, 2020
Rugby
2 mm Allen wrench loosens the tightening bolt underneath the walk mode button assembly and you can rotate it upwards a bit away from the dropper post lever and retighten. These wrenches cost three bucks on Amazon with free shipping over $25 if you don't have one that small. Really simple. Take a look underneath and you'll see the bolt. Hope that helps. Your LBS probably forgot to adjust that when they assembled the bike.
The problem with moving the walk button to be accessible is that you move the + and - power mode away from your reach so I agree that its an appaling design as my walk mode is totally covered by the dropper lever. when I prioritise brakes first then power positions. I hate having a walk mode that I cannot use. What were they thinking?

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
The problem with moving the walk button to be accessible is that you move the + and - power mode away from your reach so I agree that its an appaling design as my walk mode is totally covered by the dropper lever. when I prioritise brakes first then power positions. I hate having a walk mode that I cannot use. What were they thinking?
Same problem here. I like my brake levers to be quite flat. Which means that with the +/- buttons in the perfect place, the walk mode button is covered by the dropper lever. Tried using it at the weekend by pushing in on the dropper lever (doesn't need much pressure), then up to the walk mode button.
Was completely crap, though. I lifted the rear wheel just to make sure it was doing something, but it was rotating at snail's pace with the force of a feather. Gave up. Having to wait five seconds is a real pain too. Two seconds I could understand, but five?

sanyata

Oct 31, 2020
USA
2021 Levo Comp - I have the same problem and did adjust the control for the best +/- location. IIRC there is a power level setting for the walk mode so you can adjust it for more assist power. Lastly, for me, having to press the dropper lever a tad while pushing the walk button isn't a problem because I use it when I'm off the bike, walking or pushing, and the seat location isn't important.

Airyagarn

Jul 17, 2022
Australia
Totally agree with the location of the walk button on the bottom of the switch, it's useless if you want +/- buttons and dropper lever set up ergonomically. Would like to know if anyone has rewired the handlebar switch (or alternatively the connections at the motor end) so the walk function is operated by the top button? The top button function is duplicated by the +/- buttons so is irrelevant anyway and I've never used it. The top button is unobstructed to hold down with a thumb if you're walking beside the bike therefore much better suited to this function. Alternatively, flip the switch upside down so the walk button is now at the top, however the operation of the +/- buttons is then upside down and no longer intuitive. Would be grateful for anyone's input who has done/considered this before I start from scratch. Thanks

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
I agree also that it`s not so good place for the walk mode button, but space is limited on that tiny controller. I prefer small size of controller over practical walk mode. I actually rotated the controller few weeks ago to get better access to the walk button, even that I have used it only few times last winter in deep snow 😀. I tought that mode buttons are somehow more difficult to use but it`s not the case, didn`t notice any difference.
E25809ED-5AC9-491B-9173-83CD277A08C7.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles