Tubeless sealant

• Thread starter Deleted member 7464
  • Start date

RedTed

Oct 1, 2019
Sheffield
I took the OEM tyres off over the weekend after 7 months of owning the bike. Partly I was concerned that the sealant would need topping up and more importantly because I wanted to shove on new tyres..

Taking the old ones off I found there was a significant amount of sealant left, at least 200ml - the bike shop must have gone to town with the stuff. Absolutely no danger of it drying up anytime soon. Wish I could call them to see what they used (I'm guessing Stan's)

New Minion DHF and Ewild rear fitted with Muc Off so we'll see how it gets on. No loss of pressure so far. The Ewild was a sod to get on though...

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I'm new to tubeless; I made my own sealant. I have a 5kg sealed bucket of brush latex, a bit lumpy, well over 5 years old. I have the other ingredients too (I do my own vehicle servicing). For a coagulant I used wholemeal flour :ROFLMAO:. I tried it on one tyre, the rear. Expecting that I could go lower pressure, I tried it at 19psi. It felt way too soft - I think much less support without the tube in there. With a tube I was running 21psi. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I got a pinch flat low down on the side wall - either way it's a pin sized hole in a small cut. It probably took 30mins to seal properly - it was leaking on the way home and I had to pump it up a lb or two a couple of times. It has been solid since - all good. I used this dude's recipe. I have since found that 23psi tubeless is that tyre's reasonably safe limit. 21 with tube, 23 without - it isn't what I was expecting.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Better still, I like the idea of a sealant-less tubeless MTB tyre like our cars have. Wonder why they haven’t come up with something like that yet...
cars don't have 32 spoke holes. In general I doubt that the side walls on car tyres do as much work as those on our mtb's. Mine are generally scuffed up on the sides from rock, and they are constantly working while riding over rock (compressing, decompressing). It isn't really a good comparison.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
cars don't have 32 spoke holes. In general I doubt that the side walls on car tyres do as much work as those on our mtb's. Mine are generally scuffed up on the sides from rock, and they are constantly working while riding over rock (compressing, decompressing). It isn't really a good comparison.
Oh for sure, I realise the rims are not the same. I was pertaining more to the characteristic that an auto tyre can self-seal without goop inside.

I realise this is not a simple task to achieve but innovation is the name of the game in today’s market environment. First company that comes up with a reliable sealantless tubeless MYB tyre will be a game changer and perhaps a market leader if they can also secure exclusive IP rights.

I for one would be an early adopter.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Oh for sure, I realise the rims are not the same. I was pertaining more to the characteristic that an auto tyre can self-seal without goop inside.

I realise this is not a simple task to achieve but innovation is the name of the game in today’s market environment. First company that comes up with a reliable sealantless tubeless MYB tyre will be a game changer and perhaps a market leader if they can also secure exclusive IP rights.

I don't think car tyres "self heal". OK, I take that back - just found an article. It's still a form of rubbery goop (an internal layer) and looks like it slows the air leak to 15 psi per week. You're right though - it won't be long now till this technology gets better.

Last edited:

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
The only issue I've had with stans is in a dirt bike tube so imagine it was down to heat.
Seems the liquid had gone and left with a ball.
I always put loads in my mtbs.
Have a look at OKO sealant, it's agricultural and a lot thicker.
That's what I'm using in dort bike with Tubliss also in my 4x4

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Never had a puncture with the tube, only realised what had happened when I replaced the tyre.
It did explain why the wheel was bouncing around on the road tho.

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds

Was done years ago, Mavic tubeless rims don't have spoke holes and you used to be able to buy proper tubeless tyres,then tubeless ready tyres and sealant became popular and proper tubeless tyres have pretty much died out

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
.................First company that comes up with a reliable sealantless tubeless MYB tyre will be a game changer and perhaps a market leader if they can also secure exclusive IP rights...................
Someone did. It was Mavic with their UST system. I had Mavic tubeless wheels on my first FS (2009 bike). When I went tubeless I bought UST tyres because I thought I had to. They went up and stayed up without sealant, just like car tyres do. But the rubber was still prone to puncture from thorns and the like, so I had to use sealant to prevent flats. When it was time to go tubeless with another bike, I thought if I had to use sealant anyway, why bother with expensive UST tyres? I had zero problems.

Edit: UST = Ultimate Systeme Tubeless

A bit later on, I don't know the timings, Maxxis came up with their version, known as LUST.
LUST = Lightweight Ultimate Sidewall Technology.
This was marked on the tyres and I had some Maxxis Ignitor tyres with LUST in big red capital letters on the side. :giggle:

Last edited:

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
What tyres are you using?
I've noticed the spesh semi slick on the rear of mine seems porous, I haven't checked the sealant yet but sidewalls are always wet and sealant bubbling thru the tyre here and there.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I've noticed the spesh semi slick on the rear of mine seems porous, I haven't checked the sealant yet but sidewalls are always wet and sealant bubbling thru the tyre here and there.

I have discovered that latex sealants do a better job of sealing the sidewalls than the non-latex sealants do. But the non-latex sealants do not go off and last much longer. They do still run out though if you get lots of punctures. :eek:

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I have discovered that latex sealants do a better job of sealing the sidewalls than the non-latex sealants do. But the non-latex sealants do not go off and last much longer. They do still run out though if you get lots of punctures. :eek:
The tyres supposed to be ust but it's shite
15893867440741693733739734518484.jpg
15893867978726692102513300694144.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
UST tyres only ever claimed to hold air without a tube. However, if UST tyres will hold air, they should not ooze sealant if they are without punctures!
Mavic never claimed them to be puncture proof. If you have had loads of punctures, then the sealant will ooze out and will be especially noticeable the longer the bike is parked up (several days not just a few hours).

Edit: When I used to use a non-latex sealant, whenever I got the bike out to go for a ride, I could count the number of damp patches to see how many punctures I had. Over two dozen on each wheel was the most I had before I stopped counting. Never had a flat, just topped up the sealant when the pressure drop from one ride to the next got beyond 1-2 psi, indicating the sealant was running out.

Last edited:

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I had Specialized Purgatory and Butchers replaced a couple of years ago under warranty due to the sealant oozing through the side walls. It was suggested that I used a thicker sealant, like Stan’s Racing - rather than the standard one. I’ve been using Racing since.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles