Trigger compatibility for shimano steps.

mikeryan

Mar 19, 2019
Kidderminster
Hi I have just bought my first ebike and want to change a few things on it. I want to change the mode button on the handle bars as I don't like the one that is fitted. It's an e8000 system with di2 style of buttons. I want to change it for one from an e6000 or e7000 system. Does anyone know if they are compatible?

Also I am keen to deristrct the bike for off road use. I see there are several chip type devices that fool the output of the speed sensor. Are some better than others? I have also seen the shimano software for not much more than the chips are advertised for. Is it worth getting that and changing the settings using a laptop. What other functionality does the software enable you to change. I would like to tweeks the power delivery if possible.

I realise there's a load of questions but any help is appreciated.

Thanks

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You can use either the E6000, E6010 or E7000 controllers, thread on the topic here:

That’s better - EMTB Forums

To use the software you will need a PC, and the PC connection cable too, which costs about £150 IIRC.

Most of the other devices fool the bike into thinking it is going slower than it is - this means they will show half the true speed on the display, and also give a false reading on distance covered.

The majority are connected up to the motor, and need you to open up the cover and attach to the lighting circuit for power.

The Badass Box does not require this , but mounts over the OEM sensor. More info here :

Deristricting

mikeryan

Mar 19, 2019
Kidderminster
I have now ordered an e7000 shifter and a southpaw so I can press my saddle down as oppose to changing modes. I like to have all of my bikes the same so I can get on any one without hitting the wrong levers or button.

I have noticed that there are 2 types of lead for the shimano software. One is a shimano sm-pce1 and sm-pce02. What is the difference. Will either one enable me to derestict it. Also how is this achieved in the software. Do you just adjust the wheel size to fool it into thinking its going slower than it actually is. Or is there a speed limit adjustment setting. Will the etube app do this or is it only possible with the lead and laptop?

Thanks

mikeryan

Mar 19, 2019
Kidderminster
A quick update on what I have done. I can confirm that the e7000 trigger works without issue on the e8000 system. On that note I have a spare new shifter if anybody needs one.

I have not derestricted it yet as I have been looking at the options. My speed sensor is neatly hidden in the chain stay and as such I cant slip anything over it so this rules out a lot of the options. Also the magnet is incorporated into a ring that sits on the centre lock of the disc. this means I cant replace it very easily without it looking tacky.

I am going to take the plunge and buy an interface lead. What is the difference between the PCE1 and PCE2? I am looking at a PCE1 that's the cheapest.

Secondly whats the difference with the emax and freemax software? Will this allow for the customization that the speedplus shows. It is one of the things I wish that I could do as you can with the specialized app. Has any body experienced this software. is it ok or simply straightforward plug and play?

Cheers

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I have just looked at this and it seems to offer what I am after without any of the fuss of laptops etc. Do you need to upgrade to get the full functionality? As in removing the speed restriction.

Stepsunlocker should do what you need. You'll need the full version to remove speed limits.

You might need to change the e8000 firmware with stepsunlocker to change settings, instructions are on the website.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles