Trek rail

Bigred123

Jul 6, 2024
Middlesborough
Thinking of getting a trek rail or mandrake crafty RR, I hear some people say that the bontrager parts aren’t as good, this is putting me off, what’s people thoughts on integer please

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
Deepest Bandit country (Wales)
I have a Rail5 (poverty spec with alloy frame), bought ~18 months ago discounted as the previous year model.
the only bontrager component I've had issues with was the rear wheel bearings - infamous issue and well documented 🤷‍♂️
to be fair, I adjusted the bearings but after the second time it went 'loose' I just bought anoter wheelset🥴
the bike has over 1,000 miles behind it in Bpw this year and still going strong - although it's a bit like 'Triggers broom' as I've upgraded suspension, wheels / tyres and brakes:p

my only suggestion is to try-before-you-buy as I bought a medium frame size but should have bought Large if not XL🤭

still good fun and soaks up tech / jumps in the park as well as out in the real world(y)

as to the Mondraker, I recently looked at the 'Level' but it's geometry was a bit conservative so gave it a miss - shame as it looks like a nice bike and theres a dealer locally🤷‍♂️

just to be silly, I ended up buying a Canyon Torque:ON but thats another story 🤡

Rich.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
One of our mates has a bottom of the range Powerfly four, covered in Bontrager parts. In about two years, it's had a new headset, front wheel under warranty due to bearing failure. It has cup & cone bearings, so once the cone becomes damaged, it's effectively the end of the wheel. It's on its third freehub in 12 months & the frame has corrosion that Trek have declined to warranty. The Suntour fork is also worn.

With bikes, you generally get what you pay for but ti's also true that manufacturers are adept at hiding their cost cutting where you can't see it. As a base requirement, I would want cartridge bearings throughout as a minimum & would not entertain a bike with C&C bearings. Most people, reasonably look at bike spec & mull over brakes, suspension, drive train but it pays to look closer at the stuff that actually makes a bike run.

I don't know if Trek are better or worse than others but this is what happened to a bike I know, so you can take it or leave it but if I were to offer one piece of advice, it would be to look at the detailed specs of a bike you like & look up the parts, in order to get a feel for whether or not it's being made to a decent quality standard because you can't assume it will be.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Just for clarity, Bontrager are owned by Trek, so Trek bikes of all shades come loaded with Bontrager kit. There's nothing wrong with Bontrager stuff per se but a bike for £3k is always going to come from the factory with lower spec kit than one for £6k This is true whether it's Trek, Spesh, Cube or any of the others.

Certain wear parts like headset bearings or cassettes etc. are easily upgraded for relatively little money in the scheme of things but others like hubs can be £££s when you take into account stuff like having to rebuild wheels to upgrade a hub & it's places like wheel hubs & suspension where cheaper bikes cut corners in quality. So while that £3k bike seems like a deal, often the £4k one is a better investment when you look at the detail.

Trailhound

Jun 30, 2024
N. California
Thinking of getting a trek rail or mandrake crafty RR, I hear some people say that the bontrager parts aren’t as good, this is putting me off, what’s people thoughts on integer please
I've never ridden the Rail, but two seasoned MTB Rider friends of mine just returned from Europe where they rented a Trek Rail in one location, a Turbo Levo in another, and a Pivot is yet another. Both commented they did not like the Trek Rail compared to the other two. I think Trek may also be going out of business? Not sure. I personally own the Levo. It's bad ass..

Stanlum

Jun 25, 2024
Pateley Bridge, England.
I bought a Rail5 18 months ago, absolutely love it, just clocked 5000 miles. I had the problem with the rear wheel bearings coming loose, but after the third time back at the shop they upgraded and replaced the rear wheel set under warrant, ( great service Trek and Chevin Cycles👍). Had to replace the drive train a couple of times, front wheel bearings, brake pads, but that should be expected. I’m a big bloke and I ride some rough tracks in North Yorkshire, I think the bike has had the ultimate test! Would certainly recommend. 😎

Trailhound

Jun 30, 2024
N. California
I bought a Rail5 18 months ago, absolutely love it, just clocked 5000 miles. I had the problem with the rear wheel bearings coming loose, but after the third time back at the shop they upgraded and replaced the rear wheel set under warrant, ( great service Trek and Chevin Cycles👍). Had to replace the drive train a couple of times, front wheel bearings, brake pads, but that should be expected. I’m a big bloke and I ride some rough tracks in North Yorkshire, I think the bike has had the ultimate test! Would certainly recommend. 😎
Happy and not surprised you love your Trek. I suppose I would as well if I owned one, as there are so many good bikes these days. If we had one of each we probably would need to spin the bottle to choose on any given day.

JAMAN

Apr 22, 2024
Finland
I wouldnt rebuy bontrager parts like hubs etc. but those are ok as long they last. Now almost 3000km with original trek trail parts.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles