Trek Rail Tires?

Third-Reef

Apr 1, 2021
I have a new 2021 9.7 Rail. It comes with the Bontrager XR5 29 x 2.6 tires. I have read several post about people recommending to replace the tires right off. Wondering why this and what would you replace them with? The tire seem to work really well, but then I was out in hero dirt this weekend.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I have a new 2021 9.7 Rail. It comes with the Bontrager XR5 29 x 2.6 tires. I have read several post about people recommending to replace the tires right off. Wondering why this and what would you replace them with? The tire seem to work really well, but then I was out in hero dirt this weekend.
If they work for you and what ur riding then run them until they wear out.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I had the se5 tyres on my 9.8.
They were OK in the dry, but were terrible in the wet.
I think these are the tyres that most had issue with.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
I literally just installed Maxis DHF's on the front and rear of my Trek rail 9.7 that had 92 miles on them. Had a front flat that I plugged and rode once but just decided to replace them anyway. I added Orange seal, kept stock stems as well as the Trek wheel rim inserts that come stock. The difference is night and day better. 24 psi rear, 26 front. I live in the midwest and ride mostly woods single track... drier/mildly tacky conditions with a lot of sticks and never ride mud. I picked up like 30 mph on the trail because I fake rage when I ride...lol. In all seriousness, they work GREAT.

Dr. Don

Mar 1, 2020
USA
I have had great luck with the stock SR5s. Over 1000 miles, about 500-600 on hardpack with lots of rocks--sharp, boulders, plenty loose rock, big and small--no punctures, no flats, pressure remains pretty steady. The rest on pavement, fire roads and such like. Best experience ever with tires for me. Rear is getting a little bald, but still hanging in there.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles