Trek Rail speed sensor plug

Bramble

Sep 20, 2021
Leicestershire
Hi all,

Just acquired a second hand Trek Rail. The speed sensor wire is really frayed at the plug where it plugs into the motor, only a couple of strands left attached. Does anyone know if the plugs can be dismantled to re-crimp the wire? Or failing that where I can source a replacement plug?

I know you can get replacement cables and sensor but the rest of it is fine and there is plenty of spare cable length to attach a new plug or fix the connection but annoyingly it is breaking right at the entry into the plug so can't simply solder the two ends.

Cheers.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The plug can be taken apart with care. You won't be able to re-crimp the wires but you should be able to solder the wires to the crimps. If you find out what size the crimps are I'd be interested to know so I can replace mine that I've had to solder.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The plugs must be available to buy as all the tuning dongles use them, it's just knowing which one it is. If you can note down any numbers/codes on the plug when you remove it I may be able to find a suitable replacement.

Bramble

Sep 20, 2021
Leicestershire
Thanks Doomanic,

The plug looks like an automotive electrical plug. The part number is 2141467-2. Found them on ebay and Aliexpress but all look to ship from China which is a bit of a pain for such a small cheap part. Bit scared to try and take the plug apart because if I damage it or break the wire and can't reconnect I will be without the bike until I get a new cable. Any tips on dismantling the plug?

Bramble

Sep 20, 2021
Leicestershire
Can get the small black external cover/clip off but the internal (blue) housing that holds the crimps into the body seems impossible to remove without damaging the plug. If anyone know a trick to getting it out please let me know.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I had to remove the blue runner plug to get the pins back in after soldering. My wire had broken off at the crimp so I had to solder onto the top of the crimp and to get wires back in meant removing that blue plug, feeding the wires through it then refitting.

rdbandkab

Oct 7, 2021
WEIRTON, WV
I think it's time for me to check this wire also. Been riding a second hand 2020 Rail 9.7...and on the last ride, the power would cut out and return after 5 or 10 seconds.
*I did a magnet position mod that positioned the magnet closer to the sensor and things worked nicely for the most part. The bike did not sputter as it did pre magnet mod. Previously, the bike acted as though it didn't know what speed it was traveling. When this stuttering would happen, it appeared as though the bike didn't know if it was going 17 or 20 mph. The magnet mod cured that, but by the end of the last ride, the bike would cut out to no power (the display was still on....I think!?)

Might have to position the magnet the way it was previously and try to recreate the "cut-out" issue.

richy

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles