Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Just go for a Levo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tomunleashed

Dec 29, 2020
Bristol/ North Devon
Hi Folks,

Looking at getting a trek rail, and it seems I fall right in between sizes L and XL. I'm 6'1.5 (186cm), so just wondering what others have gone for and any advice. Ideally it would be best to test one at the LBS, however this isn't an option at this time. I think I'm swaying towards the L, just as I would prefer something a bit more agile, however not sure whether it would feel too cramped.

I'm also torn between the higher component speck of the 9, but like the idea of going carbon with the 9.7. Does carbon even make much of a difference to the ride? All comments welcome and thank you!

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
Hi Folks,

Looking at getting a trek rail, and it seems I fall right in between sizes L and XL. I'm 6'1.5 (186cm), so just wondering what others have gone for and any advice. Ideally it would be best to test one at the LBS, however this isn't an option at this time. I think I'm swaying towards the L, just as I would prefer something a bit more agile, however not sure whether it would feel too cramped.

I'm also torn between the higher component speck of the 9, but like the idea of going carbon with the 9.7. Does carbon even make much of a difference to the ride? All comments welcome and thank you!

I'm 6'1" and I ordered a Rail 9.8 XT with a May delivery, haha. I'm also between sizes. The Rail will be my third EMTB, I had a large '19 Levo Comp and presently ride a large Rocky Instinct A70, both are alloy. As for sizing, the Levo fit a bit better, the Rocky seems a bit small but I like the handling on a smaller bike. I'm going carbon this time, mostly because these bikes are heavy and at 70, 5lbs makes a difference. I know that going to a carbon frame only drops the weight by 2 lbs, but the XT also drops the weight a bit. I plan on adding light weight parts to make sure that my bike stays under 50lbs.

coregrind

Dec 16, 2020
BEAVERTON, OREGON USA
At 175cm, I’m on the border between M and L for the Rail with my choice being the smaller of the two. I don’t have my bike yet but had a try on the Medium previously and liked it quite well. It seems many are sizing down, if between two.

For the model, I was trying to decide between the 7 and 9.7 as well. My choice being the carbon, primarily due to availability. The prices were close enough, plus the suspension, wheels & brakes are the same. I plan to swap out many of the parts so I wasn’t too concerned with the stock drivetrain differences between the two. If I was going with 12-speed, my preference is Shimano.

EDIT: There is no US-spec 9 as an option, so that's why I mention my comparison of the 7 & 9.7.

Last edited:

Tomunleashed

Dec 29, 2020
Bristol/ North Devon
I'm 6'1" and I ordered a Rail 9.8 XT with a May delivery, haha. I'm also between sizes. The Rail will be my third EMTB, I had a large '19 Levo Comp and presently ride a large Rocky Instinct A70, both are alloy. As for sizing, the Levo fit a bit better, the Rocky seems a bit small but I like the handling on a smaller bike. I'm going carbon this time, mostly because these bikes are heavy and at 70, 5lbs makes a difference. I know that going to a carbon frame only drops the weight by 2 lbs, but the XT also drops the weight a bit. I plan on adding light weight parts to make sure that my bike stays under 50lbs.

Sounds good, what size Rail did you order and were you able to demo one? I think it's starting to make sense going carbon.

Tomunleashed

Dec 29, 2020
Bristol/ North Devon
At 175cm, I’m on the border between M and L for the Rail with my choice being the smaller of the two. I don’t have my bike yet but had a try on the Medium previously and liked it quite well. It seems many are sizing down, if between two.

For the model, I was trying to decide between the 7 and 9.7 as well. My choice being the carbon, primarily due to availability. The prices were close enough, plus the suspension, wheels & brakes are the same. I plan to swap out many of the parts so I wasn’t too concerned with the stock drivetrain differences between the two. If I was going with 12-speed, my preference is Shimano.

Thanks Chris, I think sizing down seems the right thing to do... and I guess its easier to make the bike bigger than smaller if required. I think I'm leaning towards going carbon too as the rest can be spec'd up as you say. Thanks!

JMD

Jul 26, 2019
Staffordshire
188cm here, got a 2021 XL Rail 9.8xt very happy with fit, geo & handling. Much better than previous bike 2019 Large Levo expert.
I made the mistake of buying the large Levo without trying a XL.
The Rail works good with a mullet setup if you want it a bit livelier.

Last edited:

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
definitely go with XL.
I have ridden large and XL and the XL with a 35mm is perfect. I was worried it would be a bit too big when I ordered it but not at all.
I couldn’t live with the large, even with it being a few hundred $ cheaper.
I’m 6’2” and got the 9.7 XL.

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
Sounds good, what size Rail did you order and were you able to demo one? I think it's starting to make sense going carbon.

I ordered a large, only did a short demo in the parking lot. Sizing is a personal choice thing if you're between sizes, I'm sure that I could be happy on either but after riding my Rocky that was definitely small for me for about 10 months and 1500 miles of single track, I'll error on the side of the smaller version.

Mike a769

Sep 30, 2020
Norcal
Hi Folks,

L

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles