Trek Rail light

Zorg

May 5, 2021
I
O boy. My LBS Did not know that there is an option and a wire to connect the light so I had to do it myself.
Anyone knows what to tell the LBS ? So he can know what to do? And my LBS is an Trek store, not regular LBS.

GolfMaster52

Oct 19, 2020
Bentonville, Arkansas
That's great they are a Trek store. They should have the software to enable the port. Mine is a Trek dealer, as well. I just asked them to activate my light port and they were like, no problem.

Zorg

May 5, 2021
I
Found the option in Bosch software. So now I know what to tell the LBS. (see the bike light disabled drop down)
1630672056979.png

Third-Reef

Apr 1, 2021
You need to take it to the LBS and have them activate the light in the software. i just went through this, using a Lezyne 1000 also. FYI the cable is just inside the frame where the other cables exit on the right. just remove the one screw pull the plastic guide piece out and use a flash light and a hook of stiff wire to pull it out. No messing with the battery mounts and all below.

Zorg

May 5, 2021
I
You need to take it to the LBS and have them activate the light in the software. i just went through this, using a Lezyne 1000 also. FYI the cable is just inside the frame where the other cables exit on the right. just remove the one screw pull the plastic guide piece out and use a flash light and a hook of stiff wire to pull it out. No messing with the battery mounts and all below.
Tnx. Did almost the same, only took the battery cover off. Was easier to solder the wires.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Yes.
There are a lot of lights designed for ebikes.
Treck are one of the only brands that provide pre-wired solutions where you can easily attach a light. Most other brands you have to buy special cables with special plugs which are even different for Front and Back lights in the case of Bosch, route the wires yourself and in the case of Bosch, you have to go to a dealer and have the light function turned on, and select which voltage you want (6 or 12 volts I think).
I use a B&M IQ-X E, on the front which has 150 lumens and has a day and night mode. Cost about €90.
However on Amazon there are lights available for as little as €25 with 75 lumens of light. I got one for a treck on Friday.
On the back I love the Supernova E3 Tail light. Small and bright. I made a bracket which mounts it to the rear brake caliper. Sturdy and out of the way. costs about €40, which is expensive for a rear light, but it is the only one that works for my setup.
150 lumens???? The light I use on my bars has 4200 lumens and my helmet light has 2400 lumens.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Maybe it was lux who knows. Anyway they have a nice bright and we'll spread out light that can be adjusted so they don't blind oncomming traffic.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Ahh, manufacturers lumens levels.

The light equivalent of ‘lick a finger stick it into the wind’ way of determining the Beaufort Scale?

Reminds me of the cheap HiFi manufacturers way of rating amp and speaker power levels in the 90’s ? 1500 watts PMPO ?
No cheap lights here, Top of the line Light and Motion Seca 2500 and Niterider 4200….both tested to be accurate ratings and brighter than most on the market even if u don’t approve of the scale… to ride 20-30mph downhill in the dead of night and still feel safe works for me.

Zorg

May 5, 2021
I
OK. LBS turned light on in software.

Small problem, light never goes OFF. The light button on the Kiox does nothing. When you turn off the bike, the light goes OFF, when you turn on the bike the light turn ON and you can not turn it OFF. .

Is this how it supposed to be ?

( Although the manual states that the light button on the Kiox controls the light. Turned it back off in software until I can find out what is going on)

L666GTB

Aug 17, 2021
Isle of Wight
I got the LBS to enable the light option when I bought my Rail, I’ve had an Exposure Flex Ebike light for a month but not had a chance to fit it.
Now the nights are drawing in, I’ll be needing it.
Hopefully get it wired in this week.

nice that trek pre installed the Bosch lighting cable with the tails coiled up above the battery latch.

5EA54B1B-A95A-4C28-8E40-9373866A20BF.jpeg

C04E0E53-9E40-4CEC-B4D6-A917CFEE5BC9.jpeg

Third-Reef

Apr 1, 2021
my wife's electra Valego trek bike is like that, light always on. My rail that i just had reconfigured for the light, turns on and off with the kiox button. I think there is a software option for always on or controllable.

Zorg

May 5, 2021
I
No that is not correct, the button in the Kiox turns the light on and off.

I tried a friends Kiox and it's the same, always ON. So it might be a software option. Anyone has any idea where this option could be ? My LBS is clueless.

BTW. this is really a bad choice of Bosch to not include the option of enabling the light in their app.

L666GTB

Aug 17, 2021
Isle of Wight
OK. LBS turned light on in software.

Small problem, light never goes OFF. The light button on the Kiox does nothing. When you turn off the bike, the light goes OFF, when you turn on the bike the light turn ON and you can not turn it OFF. .

Is this how it supposed to be ?

( Although the manual states that the light button on the Kiox controls the light. Turned it back off in software until I can find out what is going on)

Zorg,

that’s not how you wanted it. But as said above, it is an option that is often used on city bikes so the lights are on whenever the bike is powered up. Similar to DRLs on cars.

i have just wired my light into my Rail. The Kiox button was enabled by my LBS and it is working correctly, it powers the light on and off.

so yours must have toggled to be on permanently by your LBS. they should be able to change it back.

L666GTB

Aug 17, 2021
Isle of Wight
Depends on the LBS it seems. Mine did not find this option.

just spoke to my LBS about your issue.
yes there is an option in that drop down menu to have the light on Permanently, or switched by the Purion/Kiox.

so your LBS have just selected the wrong option for you.

Zorg

May 5, 2021
I
just spoke to my LBS about your issue.
yes there is an option in that drop down menu to have the light on Permanently, or switched by the Purion/Kiox.

so your LBS have just selected the wrong option for you.
Thanks. I'll go back there and try to look over their shoulders while they do the job.

LenM

Sep 9, 2021
White Rock BC
Hi, what perfect timing. I just installed a Lupine on my front handle bars and just got the Supernova tail light in today. Very easy to find the front wiring, just had to take out the lock and top battery connector and found the wires snap tied in a loop. Plenty of room to work. Now the back wires, do you have to remove the crank? It doesn't really sound like it, but I can't find any detail on where the tail light wires are accessible?
Thanks

L666GTB

Aug 17, 2021
Isle of Wight
Hi, what perfect timing. I just installed a Lupine on my front handle bars and just got the Supernova tail light in today. Very easy to find the front wiring, just had to take out the lock and top battery connector and found the wires snap tied in a loop. Plenty of room to work. Now the back wires, do you have to remove the crank? It doesn't really sound like it, but I can't find any detail on where the tail light wires are accessible?
Thanks

What bike do you have?

I’m unsure if the rear light loom is supplied on the 2021 Rail9. When I removed the motor to tighten the creaking motor mounts.
I don’t remember seeing the rear light tails.

won’t need to remove the crank, but you should be able to remove the bash guard and check the plugs on the side of the Gen4 CX motor.
(This photo has Volspeed Chip fitted)
236788C4-974E-45DE-A74F-C506F1B0EA37.jpeg

You can buy the tail light loom

LenM

Sep 9, 2021
White Rock BC
What bike do you have?

I’m unsure if the rear light loom is supplied on the 2021 Rail9. When I removed the motor to tighten the creaking motor mounts.
I don’t remember seeing the rear light tails.

won’t need to remove the crank, but you should be able to remove the bash guard and check the plugs on the side of the Gen4 CX motor.
(This photo has Volspeed Chip fitted)
View attachment 71176

You can buy the tail light loom
I just have the Powerfly 4, assuming that if the front wires were easy to find the back ones should be too. I will take my cover off and see.
thanks

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
On my wife's powerfly, there was a rubber plug on the seat tube about 1/3 of the way up. I pulled this out and found the real light cable attached to the inside of it. Was an earlier model though.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Ok I just spoke with the guys at Magicshine, I asked for a discount code.

if you use EMTB10 you’ll save 10% on this MJ906S light that I posted above:

I have no affiliation or connection with them (and am not on any kind of commission!) in any way but they did send me the light for free to test and so far I like it and would definitely recommend it.

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
Why Trek/Bosch owners aren’t trusted to plugin a light without visiting a shop is beyond me. Please just give us the options in the app please!

LenM

Sep 9, 2021
White Rock BC
On my wife's powerfly, there was a rubber plug on the seat tube about 1/3 of the way up. I pulled this out and found the real light cable attached to the inside of it. Was an earlier model though.
I did pull the rubber grommet out and it had a little picture of a light on it so I knew what it was meant for. I ended up removing 2 small screws on the charger port and easily found the wires. Had the shop update my settings on the Purion and everything works perfect.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles