Trek Rail light

Good Times

Nov 8, 2019
Sydney Australia
Is there a Trek (or any brand) light designed for our bikes? There is an additional wires in the down tube presumably for it, so am surprised they’re not promoting a light to plug in!

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Yes.
There are a lot of lights designed for ebikes.
Treck are one of the only brands that provide pre-wired solutions where you can easily attach a light. Most other brands you have to buy special cables with special plugs which are even different for Front and Back lights in the case of Bosch, route the wires yourself and in the case of Bosch, you have to go to a dealer and have the light function turned on, and select which voltage you want (6 or 12 volts I think).
I use a B&M IQ-X E, on the front which has 150 lumens and has a day and night mode. Cost about €90.
However on Amazon there are lights available for as little as €25 with 75 lumens of light. I got one for a treck on Friday.
On the back I love the Supernova E3 Tail light. Small and bright. I made a bracket which mounts it to the rear brake caliper. Sturdy and out of the way. costs about €40, which is expensive for a rear light, but it is the only one that works for my setup.

Good Times

Nov 8, 2019
Sydney Australia
Ah thankyou. I didn’t know if it had to be a Bosch-specific thing or just an eBike specific in order to plug into the loom. I’ll sus it out.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Dynamo lights are Alternating Current, and E-Bikes are Direct Current
So that is the main difference between ebike and dynamo lights.
eBike specific is enough. I transferred my lights from my SHimano powered bike to my Bosh powered one. so no problems there.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I generally only ride at the weekend in the UK winter. By the time I get home from work it’s pitch black. I have some trails about a mile from my house, and would love to do some night riding.

I know a few guys that have 1000+ lumen Cree lights on their bars / helmets and go out all the time. Usually just cheap things off eBay... but with quite large battery packs.

Is there anything I can hook up to my Rail that’s going to give a similar performance and floodlight the trail... whilst using the bikes onboard battery?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
I got the Lupine light for mine, (integrates with the bike battery). Happy with it, (1100-1200ish lumens)

IMG_4670.jpg

Shadi922

Jul 19, 2020
Morton Grove, Illinois
I got the Lupine light for mine, (integrates with the bike battery). Happy with it, (1100-1200ish lumens)

View attachment 24784
Im new here and was wondering how fast the battery drains with the light on? Does it use up a lot of battery? I am currently waiting to pick up my 2021 Trek 9.7 in Gloss Purple Phaze, it should be here this weekend. The Lupine or Supernova lights sounds perfect, the more lumens the better.

Last edited:

1981Miked

Jun 14, 2020
Dundee
I got one of these 6 years ago, wasn’t expecting much for the money but it’s been faultless since day 1. Bright enough for off road use and cheap enough to not worry about damaging. Doesn’t run off the bike battery obviously but the battery pack is small enough to sit under the top tube.

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
Im new here and was wondering how fast the battery drains with the light on? Does it use up a lot of battery? I am currently waiting to pick up my 2021 Trek 9.7 in Gloss Purple Phaze, it should be here this weekend. The Lupine or Supernova lights sounds perfect, the more lumens the better.

No need to worry about it. Sure it eats some of the battery capacity, but I hardly notice. Besides, the rides are typically a bit shorter when dark.

I also use a 3000 lumen light on the helmet that runs of its own battery. I get 3000 lumens for 3 hours. Plenty of time for a good ride.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN

I'm planning Lupine SL X (1800-2100 lumens) for Trek Rail 5 2020 Bosch CX GEN4. I need some lights for short trips on road between trails and something like SL X + helmetlight.

Any tips or thoughts on Lupine products now that you have some experiences?

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
Love my lupine SL X + C14 setup, great light coverage, and it automatically turns on and changes brightness based on darkness (cover the sensors on the back with your hand to test when it is light out ;) )

One note: a LBS will have to activate the lights in Kiox / Purion; one can connect it yourself (need to get the cranks off etc though); cable is already in place. Watch the C14 diameter, as it goes instead of the normal ring.

Last edited:
Reactions: PAC

Jschlueter

Dec 31, 2019
Bentonville, AR
No need to worry about it. Sure it eats some of the battery capacity, but I hardly notice. Besides, the rides are typically a bit shorter when dark.

I also use a 3000 lumen light on the helmet that runs of its own battery. I get 3000 lumens for 3 hours. Plenty of time for a good ride.

FYI for those who don't know. The Bosch software allocates 2% of battery capacity for lights. Whether you have a light or not if the light is activated in the software it takes up storage. So, make sure if you dont have a light hooked up you turn it off with the software.

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
FYI for those who don't know. The Bosch software allocates 2% of battery capacity for lights. Whether you have a light or not if the light is activated in the software it takes up storage. So, make sure if you dont have a light hooked up you turn it off with the software.

2% is a pretty decent number, though could have been 1%, it is effectively a safety net. When running at 0% it just runs a bit longer ;)

Btw, the Kiox light button is not functional in combo with a Lupine SL X, the light icon is always shown. One can use the Lupine control though to switch modes (and it indicates with a background-led which mode is active) and to turn it off (long press).

One cool feature is, start the bike and the light also goes on; which means if you can find your bike, and attach the Kiox you suddenly have lots of light ;)

During day rides I tend to turn the light off though (long press); going through a somewhat darker forest path having the light is a good thing, similar to a busy-ish road as it increases visibility a wee bit (at least cars think you are a motorbike due to the bright light and guess you are a wee bit faster than a normal bike)

Shadi922

Jul 19, 2020
Morton Grove, Illinois
I think I am going to pull the trigger on either the Lupine SL X or the SL SF for 2020 Trek Rail 9.7 w/ Purion. Any thoughts on either one of those? What size bar mount is needed 31.8 mm or the 35mm? Is it a simple plug and play or do I need to bring the bike to a shop so the Purion display will allow it to work? Im in USA any recommendations of where to order it from?

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
35mm bars, so thats the mount you want. Apparently LBS needs to enable the port and set the correct voltage output.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Nope, its supported with the Bosch system. There are sockets in the motor specifically for the purpose. Warranty will be fine.
Actually Trek is very generous in that they provide the cables etc all pre installed and the software is activated. You only need to fish out the cables and hook up the lights.

GolfMaster52

Oct 19, 2020
Bentonville, Arkansas
I think I am going to pull the trigger on either the Lupine SL X or the SL SF for 2020 Trek Rail 9.7 w/ Purion. Any thoughts on either one of those? What size bar mount is needed 31.8 mm or the 35mm? Is it a simple plug and play or do I need to bring the bike to a shop so the Purion display will allow it to work? Im in USA any recommendations of where to order it from?
Just curious, which light you chose, and if you are happy with it? Thanks....

GolfMaster52

Oct 19, 2020
Bentonville, Arkansas
Has anyone tried the Light & Motion Seca 1800 E-Bike Light? It is supposed to work with the Bosch system, has good specs (1800 lumen) and can be found at so many bike stores for $149. I have seen good reviews for other Seca models, but can not find 1 review of this light. It is not a brand new light, so why can't I find any information about it, amazes me. I did see one post on EMTB, where it was purchased but did not work with the 6v 1 amp output of the E8000. Any help with the Seca 1800 E-Bike model or advice on best available integrated light for CX4, would be appreciated. Leaning toward the Lupine SL X, and need to order something soon, to have ready for a Halloween ride. Thanks....

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
> best available integrated light for CX4

As you mention yourself, Lupine SL X is likely where it is at. And now that it is dark (read: pitch black) earlier here.... only regret is for the animals that thought they had some quiet, as it really lights up the whole path perfectly.

I have multiple L&M lights for diving and even though one drowned itself during a dive, support was great (they sent a replacement without any fuss), and they do make good products.

GolfMaster52

Oct 19, 2020
Bentonville, Arkansas
> best available integrated light for CX4

As you mention yourself, Lupine SL X is likely where it is at. And now that it is dark (read: pitch black) earlier here.... only regret is for the animals that thought they had some quiet, as it really lights up the whole path perfectly.

I have multiple L&M lights for diving and even though one drowned itself during a dive, support was great (they sent a replacement without any fuss), and they do make good products.
Thank you for the quick response. Just ordered the SL X. The deer are pretty accustomed to seeing riders here in the daytime, I'm sure they will sleep right through me cruising around at night. Thanks, again.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Actually Trek is very generous in that they provide the cables etc all pre installed and the software is activated. You only need to fish out the cables and hook up the lights.
Lupine C14; how to route cable from motor to seatpost clamp? Is rear light cable also pre installed?

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
Due to droppost, cable has to go on the outside. Cable is delivered with the C14 and so are some simple clamps to keep the cable in place.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Due to droppost, cable has to go on the outside. Cable is delivered with the C14 and so are some simple clamps to keep the cable in place.
I know that. BUT what is the best route for cable? I mean from motor to outside of the seat tube? Cable has to run thru the down pivot? Is there clearance?

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
The clearance is tiny, but enough to run the cable out of; did not have any issues yet and the cable seems to be still fine minus a wee bit of squeezing.

Zorg

May 5, 2021
I
Hi, is there something more todo after connecting the wires ? I installed Lezyne 1000 . Do I need to activate it in some way ? Seems not to work

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles