Trek Rail - first ride

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
100% my Rail 9.9 has 203mm at both ends. I also read a review saying they were 180mm and was getting ready to change them.
I may still change the front to 220, but will see how they are with a bit more riding.

On Trek’s own website the spec says they’re 203mm.
Rail 9.9 | Trek Bikes (GB)

Reactions: MsO

JSQ

Jan 28, 2020
Finland
I had a medium levo and now a medium Rail.
A large Rail is significantly bigger than a medium Levo.
On paper yes, but in real life the difference is surprisingly small. I'm only 173 cm and the L-size testbike we have in our shop fits me fine. I don't feel streched out at all. Sure it feels slightly longer than the Medium Levo I'm used to, but it's not too big for me at all. The cockpit on the L-size Levo on the other hand is way too long for me :unsure:

WilkyWay

Dec 26, 2019
Durham UK
My first ride on my new Rail didn't go so well.
I ended up in A&E after over shooting a jump and knocked myself out!
I was more worried about the bike though, crashed it with about 10 miles on it.
Luckily no major damage, just scuffed the top of the handle bar.

View attachment 24990
I also crashed on my first proper ride out on my Rail. Riding familiar trails and pedalling in places from memory most likely, overshot a jump I've hit dozens of times not realising I was carrying way more speed then normal. No loss of conscientiousness though, just a sore knee and wet gloves!

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I also crashed on my first proper ride out on my Rail. Riding familiar trails and pedalling in places from memory most likely, overshot a jump I've hit dozens of times not realising I was carrying way more speed then normal. No loss of conscientiousness though, just a sore knee and wet gloves!
Bike OK?

Rawry

Nov 27, 2018
Cleveland
I have the 9.8 and previously had the Giant SX0 PRO the first thing i noticed was the weight difference i am only a novice rider but i was riding trails a lot faster than what i was used to the bike just seemed to be a lot more responsive. I also come off a few times until i got used to how quick i was going compared to the Giant and not used to it.
An amazing bike i am 5' 10 and on a large the giant was a medium.

Rawry

Nov 27, 2018
Cleveland
I have the 9.8 and previously had the Giant SX0 PRO the first thing i noticed was the weight difference i am only a novice rider but i was riding trails a lot faster than what i was used to the bike just seemed to be a lot more responsive. I also come off a few times until i got used to how quick i was going compared to the Giant and not used to it.
An amazing bike i am 5' 10 and on a large the giant was a medium.
+rmdI+LbTyKYG98R10kokQ.jpg

TQQFWWxpT9WJTIQCT6T0oA.jpg

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Here’s the result of my first trip out.
Again... it was down to not realising how much power the motor had, and pedalling where I probably shouldn’t. Went a little out of control and caught a rock. Managed to save it... with a little cosmetic damage!
Annoying, but could have been a lot worse.
E658929B-2753-4389-8AFE-2CC7ED580160.jpeg

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Here’s the result of my first trip out.
Again... it was down to not realising how much power the motor had, and pedalling where I probably shouldn’t. Went a little out of control and caught a rock. Managed to save it... with a little cosmetic damage!
Annoying, but could have been a lot worse.
View attachment 25104
Yes you got away lightly, I got a similar scuff on the top of my handlebars..
Was going to change it for a new one, but just being a bit precious with the new bike.
I'm sure after a few more outings I would have forgotten about it?

VR46

Dec 23, 2018
North Wales
LF801.
I tested a levo nice bike and all but it didnt quite feel right, my normal bike is a fuel ex and fits good. I test rode a rail and the fit was good and rode really well. I too was torn over the 7,9 or 98 at a push the shop did me a really good deal and i got a 98 bike is good and i went out on it and i forgot to switch it on and i didnt realize it till i wanted to check distance. Ha. My mate bought a levo and its spent more time in the shop.

tabrat

Sep 29, 2019
Ventura CA
I got a killer deal on a 2019 Levo Expert. I ride hard and fast and I have to tell you that the cockpit is small. Way different than Trek dimension. I am 6’ and have a long torso so I felt that I needed the XL. So I sized up and then just didn’t like these things about the 2019 Levo Expert after riding hard:
The front Pike-meh...not a fan
The rear shock-meh...not a fan
The Specialized Butcher tires absolutely suck in my opinion
165mm cranks-meh
So I did these upgrades which brought me back to about full price
DVO Onyx to 160mm front fork
DVO Topaz to 210x55 in back for 157mm rear travel
Maxxis Assegai EXO+ in front (unbelievable cornering)
Maxxis Aggressor DD in back (excellent tire)
Cush Core in wheels
Miranda Kappa 155mm cranks

I know the 2020 Levo Expert has better specs on suspension but still think the DVO stuff is better.

After these upgrades, granted I bought the bike for $2k off retail, I think this bike is flat out awesome. It is fast up and down and now corners way better than stock. I love the Brose motor!

Now I have had and like Trek bikes so I need to go ride one after seeing all this!

But my bike is customized and it is going to be hard to beat.

I can’t wait for the day when you can order your bike as you want based on riding style and weight. Unlikely event. This would make the parts and suspension manufacturers have to really perform instead of us all spending thousands and having crap parts or those that don’t fit our body shoved down our throats by manufacturers.

Last edited:

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts

View attachment 24990
High Rock Ruti

Reall sorry to hear that

Full face helmet.

I had the Fox pro frame but bruised my chin once on the chin bar, I hit my head 9 times with that helmet, nothing really hard, however. Just got the Rampage Pro Carbon, $500, hugely expensive but it cradles your head really securely, feels and fits really tight had to buy the extra large to go on my fat head. It's borderline motor cycle kit, but in a different league all together than the Fox pro frame or the MET parachute. Just saying? Had a friend who had MTBI (mild traumatic brain injury) take that injury very seriously, knocked unconscious and for how long are indicators of potential for long term consequences......be well

Lost

Jun 14, 2019
London
I collected my Rail on Monday, Invisiframed on Tuesday, Wednesday and a little bit on Thursday evening (sounds like a Craig David song ?)... and spent the rest of Thursday setting up suspension, putting pedals & mudguards on, and fine tuning the gears.

Friday was an evening off other than looking some stuff out and fitting the matchmaker set to put the shifters on the brakes - and this morning was the ‘maiden voyage’!

Last Saturday I rode my Stumpy a 10mile loop that I often do at a local trail. For the first time ever, I attached my Sony Action Camera (much like a go-pro) onto my chest and filmed it. It was also routed on my Garmin Edge 520. Today I did the same - purely for a comparison.
The route I did has 510m of elevation gain.

On my Stumpy, this took 1hr and 27mins (1hr 19mins moving). Both bikes have the SRAM Eagle groupset, and I spent about 3/4 of it on one of the 2 biggest cogs. A lot of the journey was at about 2.5-3mph. There’s quite a lot of fire road involved, but there is also a single track uphill climb - which has some quite technical ‘obstacles’ on the way. Some of these I have to get off and push over, as I don’t have the speed or stamina to carry them. It’s also difficult to do some of them due to continual pedal strikes if you were to try and pedal up them at slow speed.

This morning, I rode the rail in EMTB mode for the entire journey. There were no 2.5-3mph sections... and I did the entire loop in 50mins (44mins moving). There were no issues with any of the obstacles or climbs (other than a bit of inexperience where I pedalled at the wrong time and got an unexpected surge!).
The bike felt really planted, and comfortable to ride. I’ve read of people saying the front comes up quite easy on steep climbs, but I actually found it much better than my SJ. The trail was relatively dry, and the Bontrager stock tyres were surprisingly good.
The Bosch Gen4 motor was surprisingly quiet, and I didn’t notice any rattling.

After I completed that loop, I left some stuff in the car and headed out again. I did another 11 and a bit miles (695m elevation gain) and tackled some uphill sections that I would have never dreamed possible on a regular bike. The sort of climbs that tire you out when pushing and you struggle with footing on big rocks. I’m not saying they were easy to climb, but I managed.
I was starting to panic when the battery turned orange at 30%, but I made it back to the car with 12% remaining!

I spoke to a few people whilst out, and they were all pro EMTB. The general consensus was that if money wasn’t an object, they’d have one.
Good news is I have a few hour window tomorrow and my wife has said I can go cycle again! Can’t wait!!

View attachment 24971 View attachment 24972 View attachment 24973 View attachment 24974
Nice bike and write up!

View attachment 24990
Also nice bike, but ouch about your head! At the risk of being patronising (you may be a head trauma doctor for all we know!) rest up and do take it easy after a concussion of any kind. If you want some further reading Singletrack did an insightful article called “Are we taking crashing seriously enough?”. Glad the bike was ok though! :)

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Nice bike and write up!

Also nice bike, but ouch about your head! At the risk of being patronising (you may be a head trauma doctor for all we know!) rest up and do take it easy after a concussion of any kind. If you want some further reading Singletrack did an insightful article called “Are we taking crashing seriously enough?”. Glad the bike was ok though! :)
Thanks for the info, pretty much what I've been doing anyway.
No great loss not riding here in the UK anyway, the weather has been awful.
Just resting up looking at the bike ?

15805740560568273688998840245880.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Thanks for the info, pretty much what I've been doing anyway.
No great loss not riding here in the UK anyway, the weather has been awful.
Just resting up looking at the bike ?

View attachment 25271
Nothing better than admiring ones pride and joy in the setting it deserves!
would be really interested to see a comparison review with your Levo when you have put more miles on the Rail.

I have yet to have a go on one but from the poke around I had in the LBS the rail looks to be one of the most well thought out bike yet in terms of taking into account the day to day issues of EMTB ownership

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Nothing better than admiring ones pride and joy in the setting it deserves!
would be really interested to see a comparison review with your Levo when you have put more miles on the Rail.

I have yet to have a go on one but from the poke around I had in the LBS the rail looks to be one of the most well thought out bike yet in terms of taking into account the day to day issues of EMTB ownership
Totally agree, I loved the way my Levo rode, but if it wasn't for an excellent dealer that got me back on the trail in a day when things went wrong, I think I would have got rid of it ages ago.
When you look at them both side by side, the Trek does seem better built with more attention to detail, but early days yet.

LFB01

Jan 23, 2020
South Oxon
After trying have a medium Levo for the majority of last weekend and demoing a large and medium Trek Rail Friday and Saturday, i have opted for a Rail 9.8 in medium. I originally ordered and large but after advise/comments on this forum i went back to try a medium again, and i am glad i did. I cant wait till Wednesday!

Last edited:

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
After trying have a medium Levo for the majority of last weekend and demoing a large and medium Trek Rail Friday and Saturday, i have opted for a Rail 9.8 in medium. I originally ordered and large but after advise/comments on this forum i went back to try a medium, and i am glad i did. I cant wait till Wednesday!
I think you made the right choice ?

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
203 both ends! your correct
Just to say I had a reply from ebike-mtb magazine below.

"......Cheers Geoff........thank you for pointing that out.
It seems that Trek changed the Specification prior to the Bike-Launch....."

It did seem strange on such a well specced bike.

Levo Lution

Oct 10, 2018
Slovakia
I had a 2019 levo expert which I loved, but after 16 months of ownership and a fair few issues, I decided to try the rail.
I test rode a 9.0 from the Trek store at Milton Keynes and rode it at Woburn.
I must say I loved it straight away, felt much more sturdy and confident compared to my levo.
I ended up buying the 9.8 which is the same as the 9.0 just with carbon frame.
Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to really ride it yet after my off, stiff very sore round my shoulder.
I would have been happy with the 9.0 but got a good price on the 9.8?
Hi Paul, it was a big surprise to hear that you changed your levo for different bike/brand. If you can compare two motors...which one feels more natural?

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Hi Paul, it was a big surprise to hear that you changed your levo for different bike/brand. If you can compare two motors...which one feels more natural?
The Levo still has the more natural feel.
Not that the Trek is bad, but with the Trek, if definitely comes in harder to start with and then will taper off, where the Levo is very linear.
I'm quite enjoying the instant torque of the Trek at the moment though?

Number29_NZ

Feb 16, 2020
New Zealand
Some good reading here.
I demoed a Levo a few weeks back, first time on an ebike and absolutely loved it 60km with 2240m vertical.
Got the Commencal Meta power 29 booked for a demo this weekend, looks like a great bike with a killer spec, the smaller battery puts me off a little, I love big epic rides.
Wouldn't mind demoing a trek rail, see if any of my local shops do a demo (Christchurch NZ)
the rail looks like the sweat spot, in regards to spec, price & range with the 625 battery.
loved the levo but the price you pay for the spec you get.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
I demo a 9.8 ( I think full carbon frame) and it´s a great bike. To much bike for this rider :eek:. Not the "greatest bang fot the buck" but very good, it handles for himself , and good looking :alien:.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti
Rail 9.8 with ultimate damper. Three rides now about 20 miles total.

Day 1
Tricky technical, timid head space walked some sections that I ride all the time, what was the problem?
First Day Project One custom paint, nothing more.

Day 2
Double track rode hard and fast, oh now I get it! The bike comes alive when pushed hard......first scratch top down tube, first gash to METAL skid plate, metal what were they thinking, just bought my third carbon fiber skid plate for the Pivot Shuttle, what a weight savings, I'm referring to my wallet, it's $175 lighter without installation. Love the fact that I can now safely high center the bike to get over what ever is higher than the bottom bracket, love this! Having ridden dirt bike as a kid, skidding on the skid plate meant clearing obstacles, okay I've gone on way to long about the skid plate.

Day 3
Technical tight rocky single track ride the line or enjoy the shrubbery. Pivot shuttle 29 in front 27.5 in rear. The 29 in front can't make up for the 27.5 in rear, compared to 29er front and rear, the shuttle handles better rear DW link far superior, to bad the Rail rolls over everything the bike needs to be pushed and when I tire out performance drops off, oh that's right just like everyone else.

It's early days, however, O can say compared to my "4" motor turbo levo s works, the Rail handles better in several distinct ways. The shorter (and not by much) chain stays lighten the front end, yet this bike climbs just as well, but the higher torque of the Bosch motor at lower cadence makes the bike stop, stutter and restart better, you the scenario, pop the front end over the big rock, lurch the back tire over the big rock, turn front wheel to avoid hitting the tree with the bars, a single pedal stroke to reorient the bike, and repeat the Rail fore me does this better than the turbo. I need to learn to tune the rockshox, three years of high end Fox tuning I can dial it, rockshox new ball 9f wax. Very Happy after 20 miles
20200315_145510.jpg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Weird. I have a medium Rail but if I was to get a Levo it would have to be large.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I had a Large Rail and now have an XL Levo SL. I thought the Trek sizes were pretty generous compared to Specialized.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles