Trek Rail 9

Stevie H

Mar 6, 2021
Hereford
I’m new to this forum and have just purchased a new 2021 Trek Rail 9 bike which in the present climate are a bit scarce. I have owned 2 Levo comps a 18 and 19 year model. The 19 model was better with the 29inc wheel set. Fancied a change so I looked closely at the Merida 160 the Whyte 160 and the Trek Rail. I nearly bought the Whyte as I’ve owned a couple of Whyte mountain bikes before and found them to be good. I also found a couple in stock but the more I looked the more I didn’t like the battery fitment. I managed to find a Trek 5 which I bought and had delivered as I couldn’t find a 7 that I wanted. The day before my 5 arrived the shop had a 9 arrive into stock. So they changed the 5 for the 9 me paying the difference. Only had it 2 weeks now but what a difference in ride. Just getting used to the Bosch motor from the browse both have plus and minus but the ride on the Trek is far better. The Levo was good but the front tended to lift and wasn’t as playful as the Trek. I’ve done just over 100 miles with it so it’s getting used. After reading a few threads on here I tightenEd all the bolts up, found crank pedal ones loose. Overall great bit of kit better than the Levo

kiwibiker

Dec 5, 2020
NZ
I too was going to get the whyte, but like you, I thought thr battery system was just plain difficult.
My trek rail is my first ebike, and its awesome. I find it pretty much ploughs through anything, and it feels kind of nimble. Im not a very experienced mountain biker when it comes to how bikes should feel, but I'm certainly not disappointed. The dropper post is proving problematic for me. Its very sticky and cam feel gritty. I've just relubed it all so I hope that sorts it out.
I've just put about 700km on it, and have fitted the eplus chip in it.

Stevie H

Mar 6, 2021
Hereford
I too was going to get the whyte, but like you, I thought thr battery system was just plain difficult.
My trek rail is my first ebike, and its awesome. I find it pretty much ploughs through anything, and it feels kind of nimble. Im not a very experienced mountain biker when it comes to how bikes should feel, but I'm certainly not disappointed. The dropper post is proving problematic for me. Its very sticky and cam feel gritty. I've just relubed it all so I hope that sorts it out.
I've just put about 700km on it, and have fitted the eplus chip in it.
How is the E plus chip working out

kiwibiker

Dec 5, 2020
NZ
How is the E plus chip working out
Really good. Due to the gearing, you can't push it that fast, but I find i can cruise it around 35 -38km per hour. 32km/hr limit is just slightly too slow.

Obviously not needed for trail riding, but great on the way home. It was driving me a bit loco every time the motor stopped at the 32km/hr mark.

eddiemac47

Mar 4, 2020
East Coast, USA
I’m new to this forum and have just purchased a new 2021 Trek Rail 9 bike which in the present climate are a bit scarce. I have owned 2 Levo comps a 18 and 19 year model. The 19 model was better with the 29inc wheel set. Fancied a change so I looked closely at the Merida 160 the Whyte 160 and the Trek Rail. I nearly bought the Whyte as I’ve owned a couple of Whyte mountain bikes before and found them to be good. I also found a couple in stock but the more I looked the more I didn’t like the battery fitment. I managed to find a Trek 5 which I bought and had delivered as I couldn’t find a 7 that I wanted. The day before my 5 arrived the shop had a 9 arrive into stock. So they changed the 5 for the 9 me paying the difference. Only had it 2 weeks now but what a difference in ride. Just getting used to the Bosch motor from the browse both have plus and minus but the ride on the Trek is far better. The Levo was good but the front tended to lift and wasn’t as playful as the Trek. I’ve done just over 100 miles with it so it’s getting used. After reading a few threads on here I tightenEd all the bolts up, found crank pedal ones loose. Overall great bit of kit better than the Levo

I did the same. Had a 17 comp levo, then a 19 Expert 29er. Loved the power of the 19 even though I didn't use it much in turbo, but it was nice to have if needed. But, never really gelled with the handling. I thought the front end would push and the bike in general had a lot of understeer. Went to the Rail 9.8 and was really surprised how much better it handled. I expected it to be better downhill with a slacker seat and head tube, but IMO, it is even better turning. It just feels more playful and is more maneuverable. It's not to say the Levo is a bad bike at all. I have friends who have them and love them. But for me, the Rail just checks off more boxes.

SM

Stevie H

Mar 6, 2021
Hereford
Really good. Due to the gearing, you can't push it that fast, but I find i can cruise it around 35 -38km per hour. 32km/hr limit is just slightly too slow.

Obviously not needed for trail riding, but great on the way home. It was driving me a bit loco every time the motor stopped at the 32km/hr mark.
When I had my Spec Levo I managed to download a program that did away with the restriction which was good. But as you say with the Bosch motor you need a chip to do it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles