trek rail 7

Martyn Thompson

Nov 12, 2020
scarborough
hi guys and galls new to here.
i ride the above and have gone through the chain and cassette and waiting to get in to bike shop to replace but was wondering if anyone else has this bike and may have changed to something better than was on the standard bike??
cheers

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Hi, welcome! I have the same bike, and I think the Shimano 12 speed is a really sweet drivetrain, I've never had a Sram drivetrain but I've seen a few on here swapping their Sram out for Shimano (especially SX and NX). I only got 500kms out of my first chain, which isn't that great compared to others mileages. I changed the SLX to an XT supposedly a longer lasting chain but time will tell. I usually get 3 chains-worth out of a cassette, so at that point I'll likely swap the SLX cassette for an XT. But the whole thing shifts and runs beautifully as it is, with the XT derailleur.

Martyn Thompson

Nov 12, 2020
scarborough
Hi, welcome! I have the same bike, and I think the Shimano 12 speed is a really sweet drivetrain, I've never had a Sram drivetrain but I've seen a few on here swapping their Sram out for Shimano (especially SX and NX). I only got 500kms out of my first chain, which isn't that great compared to others mileages. I changed the SLX to an XT supposedly a longer lasting chain but time will tell. I usually get 3 chains-worth out of a cassette, so at that point I'll likely swap the SLX cassette for an XT. But the whole thing shifts and runs beautifully as it is, with the XT derailleur.
thanks well i reckon i got about 800 miles but have done chain and cassette thought i was looking after it properly but maybe not. Are you changing gear under load?

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
thanks well i reckon i got about 800 miles but have done chain and cassette thought i was looking after it properly but maybe not. Are you changing gear under load?
No, changing under load is something I always try to avoid. What I have been doing though, is deep cleaning the factory grease from the new chain before applying my own lube. I have since learned that this is not best practice so for my next new chain I will do things differently and hopefully get extra mileage out of the chain. We don't often get super wet or muddy conditions, so I'm able to run a dry lube all year round which helps the chain run cleaner, so really I should be getting more miles out of my chains

Toeknee

Nov 3, 2020
York Springs, PA
I've got a rail 9.8. I have about 1200 miles and I've changed out the chain 3 times, just did the 4th chain and starting to have issues with it not wanting to stay in certain gears. looking at going with the BOX prime 9. i feel like 12 speed is too many gears for me. too close of ratios.
oh BTW ... i abuse my chain and im running sram eagle GX.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles