Trek Rail 7....to buy or not to buy?

Randomscruff

Jan 4, 2020
Rail2198!
Hey there,

I’m looking at a Trek Rail 7 and tossing up whether or not to hit the buy button. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or other options to consider. I can buy it for €4295 / £3650 / $4780 on sale at the moment. Seems like a pretty good deal for really good geometry, Bosch Gen4 and a bunch of other great features. Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts or advice please let me know.

Cheers,

Scruff

Good Times

Nov 8, 2019
Sydney Australia
I tried quite a few and ended up with the 7. And I have zero regrets even after riding more since. I hesitated about the 29er factor but Trek nailed the geo and it’s super playful yet planted when you need it. Saved me on a couple of gnarly roll-downs that I’m sure smaller wheels would have ejected me from.
The Bosch feels nice and natural. Auto mode is spot on and I never need to deviate from it. The power is instant which helps in hill starts, and there’s the slightest amount of overrun which I find invaluable for techy climbs where you’re trying to avoid pedal strikes but don’t want to lose momentum.
I considered the Rail 9 as it was in budget but I prefer Shimano so instead put extra cash into upgrading to full XT, and may also do the fork damper cartridge and seals to take it to Lyric spec. The XT brakes are sweet but I could use more tbh, looking to go a 220 rotor soon.
Battery life has been amazing as well. Sometimes the range actually increases as it constantly calculates and recalculates. But I always end up with more than I expected.

So yes, do it!

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
It has the latest Bosch Gen 4, Lots of Shimano bling and the bigger 625 battery.
My favourite bike at the moment if only I could sell enough jars of honey to own one ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
That's a stonking price. I'd be all over that if I didn't already have one.

alexis

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2018
Cyprus
I have owned the Trek Powerfly FS7 for almost a year and it has been totally faultless, except from some paint chipping. I am pleased to see that the Rail has a different paint finish so maybe this was an issue that Trek identified and fixed. Here in Cyprus we have an excellent Trek dealer who is also Bosch certified so it was an easy decision for me. The Rail looks lovely even though I have not ridden it yet. Recommended!

mawiro

Feb 12, 2021
Utah, USA
Hey there,

I’m looking at a Trek Rail 7 and tossing up whether or not to hit the buy button. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or other options to consider. I can buy it for €4295 / £3650 / $4780 on sale at the moment. Seems like a pretty good deal for really good geometry, Bosch Gen4 and a bunch of other great features. Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts or advice please let me know.

Cheers,

Scruff

Did you end up buying the Rail 7? I got one in September 2020 and love it

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles