Trek 7 Buying advice against Cube Specialized

T8COH

Oct 16, 2021
Dundee
I'm looking for a bit of advice , I had a Cube , loved it son has a Cube Action Team 160 love it . I've currently got a 2021 Specialized Turbo Levo and I'm not really loving it as much as the Cube.

Now my son was out with his mates at the weekend and had a go of a Trek Rail (unsure what model) but came back and said that's the bike for you . Has anyone any advice , I'm in my 50's won't be doing anything mental in fact a few hills maybe the odd park and a lot of paths and roads.

Trying to find reviews on the Rail 7 2022 isn't that easy so looking for advice. that will be appreciated.

Railer

Feb 28, 2022
USA
The Rail is not a great match for "a lot of paths and roads". It is great at bashing over big things that require 29" wheels and long travel suspension. I have a 5 I bought a cpl of months ago. Biggest gripe is the seat is way far fwd compared to everything else I own and I feel cramped when riding on paths and roads. Bashing over things I don't notice it. Bosch motor is great.

Edit: I have a cross bike I ride on hard paths and the road which has 700 x 25mm gatorskin tires I keep at 80psi. The trek at its lowest eboost setting and highest stock tire press requires as much effort as the cross bike (no eboost) to ride at 16mph.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Easier and cheaper to decide what it is that you do not like on the LEvo and change it. Its amazing what sorting out the contact points, or suspension, or tyres, can do in terms of transforming a bike.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The Trek Rail 7 is the most popular on our street (there are several). There’s one Cube with the Bosch gen4, which is a great bike also.
We have medium trails here also so tires can be a factor …just depends. Your personal geometry is important too but there is some adjustability on the Rail. (ie, seat, stem, bar).

T8COH

Oct 16, 2021
Dundee
Thanks for the feedback , I had thought hardtail but my sons saying in the warmer weather we will be up the hills more riding trails so the full suspension will be a blessing . I rode his down so routes and it soaked the stuff up .

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Thanks for the feedback , I had thought hardtail but my sons saying in the warmer weather we will be up the hills more riding trails so the full suspension will be a blessing . I rode his down so routes and it soaked the stuff up .

FWIW the 2022 is very similar spec to the 2021 and 2020 Rail 7. Quite a few reviews on here and online

T8COH

Oct 16, 2021
Dundee
The Trek 7 arrives at the dealer on the 14th May I’ve to expect it delivered on the 18th. I will keep you all updated.

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
Pretty hard to tell someone else what's best for them. For me the Rail 7 couldn't be better. Most my rides are 20 - 25 miles with 2,000 - 3,500 feet of climbing, single track, fire roads and bit of street to and from. The thing is a mountain goat IMHO. Does everything I ask of it. Still learning to be confident with 29er wheels but they are a game changer in that I'm learning to navigate many more obstacles all the time. It's a great time to be into eMTB's. Lots of good equipment if you can find it!

T8COH

Oct 16, 2021
Dundee
Great news it’s arrived and getting a protective wrap on it , should be delivered around Wednesday. Can’t wait.

DeRailled7

Oct 27, 2021
Calgary, Canada
Great news. And arrived earlier that you expected.
i suggest when you finally take possession of you bike to go around and ensure all bolts are tight. Use a torque wrench if you have one. If you read through the different treads on this site you’ll find lots of people who after receiving their new bike found out their LBS hadn’t done a thorough job at tightening all the bolts. On the Rail one bolt that has caused grief to some is the derailleur hanger. Got be be real tight. Another common problem is the locknut for the chainring. It might be tight right now but a lot of us had it come loose while riding. One solution remove the locknut, paint a good coat of blue locktite and reinstall it. Your LBS might be willing to do it while it’s still in the shop. You can find a few treads about these issues under this blog.
You will love you Rail.
cheers

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

The more confident you become riding in the hills and trails the more you’ll seek out more interesting and steeper stuff and the more you'll appreciate the full suspension. The more you have fun on downhills, the uphills become steeper and increasingly hard work. My Rail gets me uphill easy then I switch the power off when coming down. Get just as tired as before but fun for longer (I've been corrupted by a MTBing son, but loving it).

T8COH

Oct 16, 2021
Dundee
It’s arrived and love it

61029305-44F6-4DA7-91BA-740714033C8E.jpeg

3302FB3C-3014-42B7-9027-5A427242BDAE.jpeg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
It’s arrived and love it
Maybe you already noticed but, the clearance between the water bottle lid and the top tube can be very close. Looks like you have a medium size rail. You’d be very sad if the bottle wore into the paint. I have a slightly smaller bottle. Nice Rail btw.

T8COH

Oct 16, 2021
Dundee
Maybe you already noticed but, the clearance between the water bottle lid and the top tube can be very close. Looks like you have a medium size rail. You’d be very sad if the bottle wore into the paint. I have a slightly smaller bottle. Nice Rail btw.

The bikes a large and maybe a bad photo but there is clearance I will test my old Cube bottle might be a tad smaller. It’s also wrapped by Shackwrap arranged by the dealer what a brilliant job they did frame, forks and crank .
I’m likening the 29” wheels compared to my sons 27” a lot more confidence inspiring.

T8COH

Oct 16, 2021
Dundee

You’re right smaller bottle gives a lot more space .

85C1AE4F-B61A-4EBB-9C6D-B8A5E89846E4.jpeg

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
What does a Magneg do ?

RockShox MegNeg air can review.

MegNeg is an air can upgrade that can be fitted to RockShox Deluxe and SuperDeluxe shocks to increase mid-stroke support and soften the early part of the travel.

It works by providing up to 111 percent more negative volume than a standard air can, making the spring softer before and firmer after sag.

While volume spacers only significantly affect the end of the stroke, the MegNeg air can increases the spring force in the middle of the travel. Volume-reducing bands can be fitted to the negative chamber to tone-down its effect.

Both our shocks had two volume spacers which I removed and fitted two volume reducing bands. Very easy to do and did exactly what it said here.

We both weigh 80-83kg btw.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles