Fife, Scotland
Are E-bikes getting too expensive?

89198659_809797962850868_7500360517819564032_o.jpg

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
My bike was 2000, now it's at 1700-1800€. It's not fair to compare the most expensive electric mountain bike with anything but the most expensive Enduro Motorcycle...

Edit; gotta be honest mine is now closer to 3k but the basic sduro without upgrades is still pretty cool for the 1800 it costs.

Last edited:

cozzy

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Not really. There was a test on pinkbike the other day, maybe a pivot of some sort that was over £7k. You could get a really decent ebike for that sort of money I thought.
Seems more like non-ebikes are too expensive to me.

jempezen

Mar 8, 2020
Switzerland
Yes it’s insane, both mtb and e-mtb are too expensive.
The only e-mtb with a correct price is the decathlon.
But it’s like a monster truck... The levo sl is for me at this time the only real EMTB but at this price only few people can buy it.

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
Ebikes are dear but a run of the mill ebike is £4000. A run of the mill Mx bike is £6000 and enduro is £8000. Last year ohlins ebike forks were £900, ohlins forks for a Mx bike were £2800 when I looked for comparison.
Tyres however are similar although a rear enduro tyre is more like £70

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Bikes and ebikes are going through an insane evolution period at the moment. Production lines are short and therefore units are more expensive. Unless the market shows an unwillingness to buy the latest "must have", then the evolution will continue because that is what sells at the moment. Once it doesn't support sales, then the money for design and development will be cut off. OK, no "latest thing" to flaunt on the trails, but at least the second hand values might hold up slightly better! :)
(Alright then, maybe not! :()

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
They are expensive, but at the same time there is no need to spend crazy money, as there are lots of, and indeed some of the best EMTB's at sub 5k.

Having spent a lot of time in a past life going down a deep hole of having a big motorbike stable, with a lot of them modified, I would say though it is very hard to compare like to like, and that the average motorbike has pretty poor quality components in terms of suspension etc.

You can easily get into the high 20's by the time you have tricked out a bike to the equivalent of an S-Works or similar.

As some one else said if you stick Ohlins Factory kit, carbon wheels, etc etc on to a stock hi performance road bike you are going end up spending a lot of money quickly.

Really an S-Works or other high end bike is the equivalent of a Ducati Panigale Anniversario 916 at 37k vs a stock one at 12k which is more the level of an Expert.

Motorcycles also have a significant advantage interns of scale of manufacturing.

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
Bottom line is that something is worth what someone will pay for it. Full stop!

Right now people are willing to pay the high prices but once the initial rush for the latest and greatest reduces to a more average demand then prices will drop. Granted, Specialized's marketing department and customer support is doing a great job of keeping the demand and therefore prices high.

Secondly, they have learned a lot from the warranty replacement costs due to the Brose motors and other supplier issues and have built into the pricing of the SL a financial cushion to cover these types of problems if they occur.

As it stands....customers have decided to trust that they have built a quality and fit for purpose product in which they can count on stellar customer support if there are issues as is normal for new products. IMHO they have done this better than any other manufacturer but only time will tell!

mike425

Jan 9, 2020
Sheffield
I have always thought this about bikes in general. People always say that production scale is greater for motorbikes. But if you look at Trials bikes from someone like GasGas, they cannot be making that many more bikes than a decent MTB brand.

Yet I can go into a trials dealer and buy a 250cc Gasgas for £6 grand.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
The dealer markup at the motorcycle shop is much less than at the bicycle dealer. This is at least something to consider when doing price comparison. I know owners of both sorts.

As far a super quality components being needed. Idk. I once participated in a tour of some 150 miles of trails around the foothills of Tennessee. The guide was a professional trials rider, but chose to ride a 10 year old Xr200 with blown forks seals. When asked why he rode the junker, he said it was all he would need. We were on state-of-the-art bikes, and he rode ahead of us keeping a pace some of us could barely manage for two days. I think most of consumers barely touch what the machines could be coaxed out of.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think its more looking at what the average bike costs, and what the average motorbike costs.

A perfectly decent new bicycle costs no more than £500 pounds theses days, that's for a well built bike that will see years of use if maintained properly and get you from A to B.

E.G

Pinnacle Lithium 3 2020 Hybrid Bike | HYBRID BIKES | Evans Cycles

The motorcycle equivalent of that, is probably going to cost you £5000

Whether we think so or not, decent mountain bikes are still high end bikes, even if we may think of them as middle of the range.

Effectively IMO if you are into mountain biking and want a decent bike for aggressive riding (i.e not just pootling around on fire roads) , you are still in a niche market, and the costs are accordingly fairly high.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles