To all who ride at Sherwood Pines from time to time.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The Red, Blue and Green trails have all mostly dried out and are running well. Because they are maintained by the Forestry Commission, the numerous and widespread fallen trees have all been cleared. The numerous off-piste trails are also dry and running well, but are still troubled by some fallen wood. The National Coal Board Area (not part of but adjacent to Sherwood Pines) is also rideable but is not quite so lucky.

The whole area beyond the old railway line (now a cycle path) has been felled and is devastated. It is going to take a while to work out what is rideable. The further NCB area beyond that is also unmaintained by anyone except people who ride there. It is taking some time to dry out and there are some proper boggy bits. There are also fallen trees that have blocked the trails and are too big for me to shift.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have worked out how to avoid the really boggy bits (more of a quagmire) in the NCB area and still have a good ride. As at today I haven't had time to come up with anything to deal with the cleared area except ride around it. It looks as though special efforts have been made to prevent bikes and 4WD from gaining access. That will be a job of work for the summer.

Yesterday, I rode from Vicar Water and did a 20-mile circuit around VW and into Pines and back with 3 buddies: @JohnCphoto, @Jessmolly007 and @Davvee. We started from Vicar Water because parking at Sherwood Pines is now £11. At VW its £1 when the machine is working. Enough said!

Starting from VW has a different feel to it and it's not as convenient (no public toilets), but £10 saved is £10 saved!

The trails we rode were not 100% dry but they were very grippy and fabulous fun. All the new berms made by the new guy that Forest England hired are superb.

I feel a group ride approaching. :) :unsure:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have found my way around the devastated area I mentioned earlier. It is rideable if I really wanted to but absolutely no fun at all! At least it's not preventing access to other aeras any more.

Here are a couple of pics to illustrate.

NCB felled area.jpg

NCB levelled.jpg

At least when Forestry England have a clearance, they give specific instructions in how they want the cleared area to be left. But maybe the NCB told the clearance team to leave it like this, to discourage riders? They have also piled up trees around the periphery to stop bikes (of all kinds) riding up and down the steep embankments.

I also found that a dozen or so trees have been uprooted and transported elsewhere, quote possibly to block off another trail at the end of the desert. (The one to the left of the road, just inside the tree line). Why else go to the trouble of moving those uprooted trees and distributing them down the road?

Uprooted.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles