Thron / Jam Powertube cover gaps and Powertube movement

Ashphil

Aug 10, 2021
Hungary
Hi all, I’m new to ebikes and have just got a Thron2 6.9 this week. I’ve been pretty happy riding it, but have a couple of questions…

• The Powertube cover doesn’t fit in the battery space particularly well. I wasn’t expecting it to be perfect or a weatherproof seal (after all, the Powertube cover is clearly smaller than the space it goes in to), but the panel gap on one side is bigger than the other. Not massively, but it is noticeable. Is this similar on other peoples’ Thron or Jam bikes? I have moved the mounting brackets slightly inwards, to lessen the gap, but cannot even the gap up on either side – If this is normal, though, then that’s fine…
  • When clicked into place, the Powertube can still be moved inwards a couple of mm more. It doesn’t move at all at the connector end, and takes a bit of a squeeze to move it at the top, but it can move. The weight of the battery keeps it all pretty stable, but I’m sure it’ll move a bit when ridden off road. Again, am I just looking at something that is to be expected? Is a bit of battery movement when locked in normal?
I’ve attached a few photos which might make what I’m trying to say clearer…

Finally, does anyone know of a link to a service manual for working on the above? – I can find the readily-available consumer manuals, but for anything maintenance-wise they say return to the dealer. I’m quite happy to make some minor adjustments myself, but would want to be able to check torque settings, etc. for the mounting brackets.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Powertube cover gaps.jpg

Thron with battery cover locked into position.jpg

Thron with battery cover moved inwards.jpg

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
That looks about right. The cover does not seal. The battery seals itself against the motor terminals fine but the rest is not a dustproof seal and you will need to wipe it clean when you remove the battery.

In my experience, you need the extra millimetre or so of movement at the lock end to make sure that the lock pin has room to move into place. I get no rattle or noise from the battery on either my Jam2 or my wife's Thron2.

Not sure about your problem with uneven gaps. Not something I have noticed on ours - but I haven't really looked that closely. I would guess it is down to the way that the cover has been mounted on the battery, but have no real idea without seeing it.

As far as a dealer manual is concerned, there doesn't really seem to be one because the bike is built with third party components, each of which has its own manufacturer's manual. There are exploded diagrams available on the Focus website to help you understand which bits go where and what to order if you break something. I was a bit put out at first that there was no full, detailed workshop manual available at first but have now come to realise that it really isn't needed.

Others may have a different experience and opinion.

Ashphil

Aug 10, 2021
Hungary
Many thanks for the information concerning battery movement. Good to know it is probably normal (although if anyone else wants to confirm or deny this by checking their Thron / Jam / Sam - I'm happy to hear more info).

The dealer manual was just what I was after, too. Pity it needs a specific guage / tool to exactly set the mounting brackets - I guess it will be a return to shop job at some point...

Thanks.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles