Thoughts after first time out

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
I finally made it out to a trail after getting my Giant Stance E+ Pro. I'm new to mountain biking in general, and I thought it was a beginner trail, but it turned out to be intermediate with some expert. I only did the uphill portion; my friend went back and got the truck and picked me up. Downhill would have been easier, but I was worried about going too fast and losing control.

I hit my pedals on rocks a half dozen times -- if I had a throttle it would have been a little easier I guess. There were a few spots that I just walked, including a couple between large boulders with not enough room to even walk beside the bike.

I also fell over once. I was going really slow up a hill and lost my balance. It was on a side slope, and I forgot to drop my post, and when I put my foot down it was downhill a bit and I was too far over to stop the momentum of the heavy bike.

I need to get more experience and familiarity with the bike on easy trails, especially the weight of it. It seems like an EMTB also takes a little different technique going up hills -- you can't just hop up steps like with a lightweight bike. On the other hand you can power up a little easier I guess.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Dude! That's the stuff adventures are made from. Sounds like a great time.

Don't feel bad: Everybody walks sometimes, everybody crashes sometimes, and everybody smashes their pedals sometimes. The only exceptions are the folks who don't ride the rough stuff.

Stop in at RedRock Bicycle. The folks there are super cool and can turn you on to some good trails. Trailforks is also a great resource for finding new stuff to ride. People come from all over to ride your trails. There's enough for you to explore for a long, long time.

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
Dude! That's the stuff adventures are made from. Sounds like a great time.

Don't feel bad: Everybody walks sometimes, everybody crashes sometimes, and everybody smashes their pedals sometimes. The only exceptions are the folks who don't ride the rough stuff.

Stop in at RedRock Bicycle. The folks there are super cool and can turn you on to some good trails. Trailforks is also a great resource for finding new stuff to ride. People come from all over to ride your trails. There's enough for you to explore for a long, long time.
Thanks! I did really enjoy it - glad I didn't get too hurt - and am anxious to get out again. The problem is it's hot now, and I don't have a way to transport the bike yet. But there are trails I can ride to from my house, just need to get out early. I guess this is a pretty popular place. :)

I have been to RedRock and almost bought a bike there; they seem really helpful. I did buy a new seat there. And yes, someone showed me Trailforks, I'll try the free version and see how it works. Thanks for the encouragement!

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
And yes, someone showed me Trailforks, I'll try the free version and see how it works.

I'm by no means an expert in your area. The last time I was there, we were looking for something low-key, and ended up on Prospector, Church Rocks, and Dino Tracks just outside Washington. Prospector is labeled intermediate, but it's mostly beginner level. There was even a big family with little kids. Church Rocks starts off beginnerish, but ends up intermediate. Dino Tracks is labeled as expert. It's mostly intermediate, but there are some more difficult sections. The great part about linking these together is that you can turn around at any time, and there are no surprises. There's plenty of warning if you want to get off and walk. If you choose to tough it out to the farthest point, you're rewarded with dinosaur tracks.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Congrats on the new bike, keep riding and take it steady, you’ll be loving it before you know it.

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
I'm by no means an expert in your area. The last time I was there, we were looking for something low-key, and ended up on Prospector, Church Rocks, and Dino Tracks just outside Washington. Prospector is labeled intermediate, but it's mostly beginner level. There was even a big family with little kids. Church Rocks starts off beginnerish, but ends up intermediate. Dino Tracks is labeled as expert. It's mostly intermediate, but there are some more difficult sections. The great part about linking these together is that you can turn around at any time, and there are no surprises. There's plenty of warning if you want to get off and walk. If you choose to tough it out to the farthest point, you're rewarded with dinosaur tracks.
I've seen Church Rocks from the freeway and thought it would be an interesting place to go, I didn't realize there were those other trails. Thanks for the info, I will definitely put them on my list.

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
I finally made it out to a trail after getting my Giant Stance E+ Pro. I'm new to mountain biking in general, and I thought it was a beginner trail, but it turned out to be intermediate with some expert. I only did the uphill portion; my friend went back and got the truck and picked me up. Downhill would have been easier, but I was worried about going too fast and losing control.

I hit my pedals on rocks a half dozen times -- if I had a throttle it would have been a little easier I guess. There were a few spots that I just walked, including a couple between large boulders with not enough room to even walk beside the bike.

I also fell over once. I was going really slow up a hill and lost my balance. It was on a side slope, and I forgot to drop my post, and when I put my foot down it was downhill a bit and I was too far over to stop the momentum of the heavy bike.

I need to get more experience and familiarity with the bike on easy trails, especially the weight of it. It seems like an EMTB also takes a little different technique going up hills -- you can't just hop up steps like with a lightweight bike. On the other hand you can power up a little easier I guess.
I am laughing my ass off only because 4 years ago I started out on a Giant Stance E+ and had a very similar experience to you on my first few rides (both as new to E-MTB and new to MTB'ing in general). For me it was a quick learning curve, just stick with it. You will be conquering that run in no time. And then in a year or two you will be upgrading that bike to a Trance EMTB with more travel on the shocks like I just recently did. But I loved my Stance for 3 years and still ride it every once in a while.

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
I am laughing my ass off only because 4 years ago I started out on a Giant Stance E+ and had a very similar experience to you on my first few rides (both as new to E-MTB and new to MTB'ing in general). For me it was a quick learning curve, just stick with it. You will be conquering that run in no time. And then in a year or two you will be upgrading that bike to a Trance EMTB with more travel on the shocks like I just recently did. But I loved my Stance for 3 years and still ride it every once in a while.
Thanks, glad to meet someone with so much in common. My name is Craig too. :) Thanks for the encouragement. I weighed my bike today and it's just over 59 lbs, albeit with a slightly heavier seat and toolkit but no water on board. That weight scares me but hopefully after a few rides I'll get used to it. Was hoping to go out this morning but didn't make it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles