THIS,,,, IS TAKING THE MICK!!!!

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Last time I checked, 'muscle weights more than fat'.
You cannot convince me that 'generally, a particular body type has an inherent advantage over another IN ANY SPORT including mtb/emtb.
I appreciate the thought to determine how much amps the motor is pulling in peak conditions but surely, there is more to this calculation than by implementing a homemade rolling road.
Wtf - seriously you can't see that any particular body type has an advantage over another at any sport?

Tall people are known to be 'generally' better runners and rowers compared to short people for example?

Small light people are 'generally' better gymnasts and jockeys compared to heavy people for another example.

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Wtf - seriously you can't see that any particular body type has an advantage over another at any sport?

Tall people are known to be 'generally' better runners and rowers compared to short people for example?

Small light people are 'generally' better gymnasts and jockeys compared to heavy people for another example.
Clearly @Mteam , your not a runner, jockey, gymnast, rower etc.

For all your examples, I can easily highlight sportsmen & women who participate at the highest level and have broken that old school belief.
By all means test my knowledge if you wish. But know that as a tall muscular person, I WOULD NEVER 'ASSUME' that one particular bodytype (IN SPORT) would beat another just on face value (or in this case, weight).

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Clearly @Mteam , your not a runner, jockey, gymnast, rower etc.

For all your examples, I can easily highlight sportsmen & women who participate at the highest level and have broken that old school belief.
By all means test my knowledge if you wish. But know that as a tall muscular person, I WOULD NEVER 'ASSUME' that one particular bodytype (IN SPORT) would beat another just on face value (or in this case, weight).
Sure , of course there is always an example of a person who does not fit the norm and can compete with the best in any given sport, I dont dispute that, but they will be in the minority amongst their peers of the best in the world thats why I said 'generally'.

But there are types of body that are 'generally' (theres that word again) better than other types at certain sports . So I stand by my comment that generally taller people are better rowers than short people for example, because most (but not all ) world class rowers are tall. Generally small light people make for better jockeys etc.

Last edited:

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Sure , of course there is always an example of a person who does not fit the norm and can compete with the best in any given sport, I dont dispute that, but they will be in the minority amongst their peers of the best in the world thats why I said 'generally'.

But there are types of body that are 'generally' (theres that word again) better than other types at certain sports . So I stand by my comment that generally taller people are better rowers than short people for example, because most (but not all ) world class rowers are tall. Generally small light people make for better jockeys etc.
Before I respond to your comment concerning rowing, the reason why the word 'generally' is because SOME choose to highlight a point which generalise a crued and often stereotypical archetype. Not withstanding the fact more types of people take ti a sport which are highlighted or marketed in the mainstream.

Nevertheless if you are in to/follow rowing, you dont need me to remind you that their are different classes suited for different events. Hence why both men and women can compete equally.

Keeping on point in the world of mountain biking, for anyone who follows Enduro, really look at the participants who enter, win and/or do better than what others predicted. All are of different height, weight & bodytype. I could go into more examples and refer to xc. But I have noticed that 80% of members don't recognize xc as a mtb discipline (I do, but I've been told by many that I'm 'straaaiiinngggg!!!) ???

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
This thread’s somehow moved on to body weight it seems. It could be made quite divisive, especially — and unrealistically — if just one of many bits of info is considered at any one time…

I enjoy seeing the widening participation in sport these days. At my advanced age, I’m grateful to be accepted as an equal in all the ways that matter by other bikers. I feel I’m looked at as a biker, not as the rather old arthritic person that I am.

Which is wise for some…. you know, once we all start going downhill ???

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
This thread’s somehow moved on to body weight it seems. It could be made quite divisive, especially — and unrealistically — if just one of many bits of info is considered at any one time…

I enjoy seeing the widening participation in sport these days. At my advanced age, I’m grateful to be accepted as an equal in all the ways that matter by other bikers. I feel I’m looked at as a biker, not as the rather old arthritic person that I am.

Which is wise for some…. you know, once we all start going downhill ???
@Coolcmsc , Respect??⚡

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
977AD193-02ED-4C4C-BCDA-63CB85A79348.gif

cheese chasing?

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Years ago, my wife and I helped a guy who hurt himself doing something similar. He and his mates were on a tarp flying — literally — down a tobogganing slope. Everyone was having a great laugh. Us included and it looked a lot of fun. In fact I’m certain it was as I’ve done the same.

He’d bust his back ffs — seemed unfair to us, if a bit predictable. We helped him whilst the ambulance crew made their way to us all. Fortunately, he didn’t get any paralysis.
The guy on the right in the white shirt looks like he breaks his neck 3 times..
Saw a lady do this down ‘The Wall’ skiing into Switzerland near Avoriaz — anybody who’s ridden MTB there will know where I mean. A rag doll top to bottom and she’d been arsing around at the top, so it was her fault. She was fine, amazingly. Another time near us in the U.K., I saw a bloke break his back going down a tobogganing run on a giant tarp with about 10 of his mates. They were trying to be safe, but hit a bump and, well, flew. They were also having a ball until…. We helped him until the ambulance crew slid down. Fortunately, he didn’t get paralysed.

So, yes, I agree ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The cheese chasing happens just down the road from me. They’re all nutters, especially the girls!

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Last time I checked, 'muscle weights more than fat'.
You cannot convince me that 'generally, a particular body type has an inherent advantage over another IN ANY SPORT including mtb/emtb.
I appreciate the thought to determine how much amps the motor is pulling in peak conditions but surely, there is more to this calculation than by implementing a homemade rolling road.

It's not that hard. To lift more mass takes more energy. That energy either comes from the rider or the bike. So for a heavier rider you either need more power consumption (rider or motor or both) or you go slower or less distance. Lighter riders tend to have better power to weight ratios so they tend to be able to travel uphill faster or longer or expend less energy. The bike is simply an extension of that.

As for the more muscle vs more fat. More muscle also means more power. More fat, not so much. More muscle may offset some of the weight by having the rider put in more power.

In the same way a Levo SL is lighter and produces less power but is still able to cover a similar distance to a full fat Levo with a bigger battery....

Physics and all that.....

Gordon

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
No offence @flash, But I cant gauge your point. Your first point suggests that a lighter rider expelled less energy than a heavier rider. Your second point refers to power to weight ratio which contradicts your first point.

I don't deny that a fixed mass would have an impact on riding uphill (such as if someone is riding fully kitted or with a spare battery etc). But bodytype vary between rider to rider. As such body weight will vary as well. Not to mention that someone who is perceived to be heavier, may be proportionate in conjunction with their body type (ectomorph, endomorph and mesomorph).

All I'm saying is that their is more to this question than what has been answered. But yourself and others have raised compelling arguments and points to the contrary ??

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

There is more, but it gives a baseline as an example. It's not taking into account other factors which could swing things in either direction.

I don't deny that a fixed mass would have an impact on riding uphill (such as if someone is riding fully kitted or with a spare battery etc). But bodytype vary between rider to rider. As such body weight will vary as well. Not to mention that someone who is perceived to be heavier, may be proportionate in conjunction with their body type (ectomorph, endomorph and mesomorph).

I don't think if someone is "perceived" to be heavier or not is the argument :) If someone is heavier, they're heavier. If they're lighter, they're lighter.

The heavier a mass, the more energy required to lift it against gravity.

In this case, that can come from the battery or the rider.

The weight of the bike is inconsequential as the bike will have to lift it's own weight no matter what the rider weighs.

A light person will require less energy to get them up the hill than a heavy person. If the heavy person can compensate for their own additional mass with their fitness and strength, then yes, they could possibly achieve the same height/distance as the lighter person. However, for the cyclists body to be efficient when climbing it will need strong legs and as little unnecessary other bits as possible. Tour de France riders for example, don't look like they play darts in the off season.

Equally, where you have Biathlons, where people ski and shoot, you never see Cibiathlons where people cycle as fast as possible, then stop, swig 4 pints of beer and try to get 180 on a darts board before moving off to the next beer/board. (Though arguably, you could have cycling pub crawls which might be similar, but none competitive).

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
No offence @flash, But I cant gauge your point. Your first point suggests that a lighter rider expelled less energy than a heavier rider. Your second point refers to power to weight ratio which contradicts your first point.

No it doesn't. All else being equal a lighter rider needs less energy to go up a hill than a heavier rider. A heavier rider with more muscle may be able to produce more energy than a lighter rider. That may or may not be enough to offset the difference in weight.

Roadies have had this sorted for decades. They even have a formula to work out how much extra power heavier riders need to keep up with lighter riders.

Gordon

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
So I presume that this refers to 'ebikes' like Stealth Bombers or Enduros and e-scooters like 'all E-scooters'.
What annoys me, is that its publicity like this leads to stigmas being made.
"Hello police, theirs a group of people congregating outside on powerer transport vehicles. They must be up to no good!!!".

I can see the BBC headlines, 'County lines drug trafficking made more inconspicuous due to the use of ebikes and E-scooters'.

This sh*t better not be a prelude to having any and all ebikes registered on a national database.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
From extensive data compiled by Scotland Yard, criminals can escape more quickly while wearing shoes, especially those expensive "sports style" shoes. To any thinking law-abiding citizen, it is clear that shoes should be outlawed.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
This sh*t better not be a prelude to having any and all ebikes registered on a national database.

Why not? Millions of vehicles are registered and it could help track and recover some of the 77.3K bicycles stolen annually in the UK alone.

And the .gov doc is highlighting that they're trying to find ways to stop them in a safe manner for all involved;

"However, when used unlawfully, UK Policing faces several challenges when trying to bring these vehicles to a controlled stop, without risk to the rider, public, or police officers."

"We are looking for solutions, innovative capabilities and ideas for stopping or preventing E-Scooter and E-Bike enabled crime at any maturity level. This includes solutions that allow E-Scooters, E-Bikes or suspects using them unlawfully to be electronically located post event, to reduce the need for a vehicle pursuit."

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Solutions may include innovations that:

• render a stationary E-Scooter or E-Bike incapable of moving
  • bring a moving E-Scooter or E-Bike to a controlled stop
  • is deployable in many locations against E-Scooters or E-Bikes whilst they are moving or stationary, i.e. the system/technology should be readily portable
  • is target specific, i.e. does not affect persons or technology around the suspect vehicle (nah, we don't normally care)
  • is reliable in use and consistent when activated
Cool .. MASSIVE EMP PULSE coming to a bike near you soon !!

I have it from a reliable source that a lot of Drug dealers buy Specialized Bikes. They're expensive and therefore cool if you're a drug dealer. You can move around selling your wares looking like any other fat lazy bastard on an e-bike.

Based on general Brose 2.1 reliability, don't they just have to follow the "criminal"/"suspected criminal" until the bike just breaks ?? :rolleyes::p:ROFLMAO:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Why not? Millions of vehicles are registered and it could help track and recover stolen ones.
All ours are registered in a national database to help with theft and recovery (France) .. All new bikes sold have to be registered.

Weirdly though, if you buy an expensive bike you have to pay the €30 fee, no negotiation.

If you buy a bike from Decathlon for €1k or the supermarket €79 - they cover the cost ....

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Solutions may include innovations that:

• render a stationary E-Scooter or E-Bike incapable of moving
  • bring a moving E-Scooter or E-Bike to a controlled stop
  • is deployable in many locations against E-Scooters or E-Bikes whilst they are moving or stationary, i.e. the system/technology should be readily portable
  • is target specific, i.e. does not affect persons or technology around the suspect vehicle (nah, we don't normally care)
  • is reliable in use and consistent when activated
Cool .. MASSIVE EMP PULSE coming to a bike near you soon !!

I have it from a reliable source that a lot of Drug dealers buy Specialized Bikes. They're expensive and therefore cool if you're a drug dealer. You can move around selling your wares looking like any other fat lazy bastard on an e-bike.

Based on general Brose 2.1 reliability, don't they just have to follow the "criminal"/"suspected criminal" until the bike just breaks ?? :rolleyes::p:ROFLMAO:
Or just wait till the scooter or ebike runs out of charge while travelling between counties as they'd be quite conspicuous on the motorway hardshoulder.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
All ours are registered in a national database to help with theft and recovery (France) .. All new bikes sold have to be registered.

Weirdly though, if you buy an expensive bike you have to pay the €30 fee, no negotiation.

If you buy a bike from Decathlon for €1k or the supermarket €79 - they cover the cost ....
If you're buying from Decathlon you need all the help you can get. (Now running for cover before I get attacked by all the Stilus fans).

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Why not? Millions of vehicles are registered and it could help track and recover some of the 77.3K bicycles stolen annually in the UK alone.

And the .gov doc is highlighting that they're trying to find ways to stop them in a safe manner for all involved;

"However, when used unlawfully, UK Policing faces several challenges when trying to bring these vehicles to a controlled stop, without risk to the rider, public, or police officers."

"We are looking for solutions, innovative capabilities and ideas for stopping or preventing E-Scooter and E-Bike enabled crime at any maturity level. This includes solutions that allow E-Scooters, E-Bikes or suspects using them unlawfully to be electronically located post event, to reduce the need for a vehicle pursuit."
I see where you're coming from @Jackware, but shouldn't this be more to do with the manufacturers rather the end user to come up with 'innovative' measures?
Forgive me if I seem annoyed. I just struggle to comprehend their rationale.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles