⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
No No.jpg

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
There's a fine line between dumbing down and sensible simplification. I'm a fan of the latter - but I made my living for 20 odd years breaking down complex legal issues into explanations that "The Man In The Street" could understand.

Think of it like Colin Chapman's design ethos: simplify and add lightness - doesn't that sound like a good recipe for a better bike?

:cool:
I don't think bars are "dumbing down". I often have to think what they mean; I translate in my head. 3 bars could be as little as 41%; 5 bars (supposedly full) may be only 81%. Showing a percentage doesn't require any translation.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ref the dumbing down. I may have been too harsh. It could be simply analogue vs digital.

For example, analogue clock vs a digital clock. I can glance at a clock and see in an instant what time it is. I look at a digital clock and see 15:37 and I need a second to translate that to 20 to 4 in the afternoon. And that is despite digital clocks having been around since electric calculators. Maybe its just me.

Same thing with speedos on a car. I prefer a dial, even though the "dial" is no longer a real one!

Despite that, I would still prefer a % battery number!

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Ref the dumbing down. I may have been too harsh. It could be simply analogue vs digital.

For example, analogue clock vs a digital clock. I can glance at a clock and see in an instant what time it is. I look at a digital clock and see 15:37 and I need a second to translate that to 20 to 4 in the afternoon. And that is despite digital clocks having been around since electric calculators. Maybe its just me.

Same thing with speedos on a car. I prefer a dial, even though the "dial" is no longer a real one!

Despite that, I would still prefer a % battery number!
That's also the reason that all of the important information in a modern aircraft cockpit is analogue. The pilot just needs to glance at dials to know a reading is OK. Digital info is available should details be needed.
One thing that would be better for me is a line up the side of the bars to show what is 100% so that one can compare the bars with the line. From a design point of view, it would pain me, but I'm half blind at that distance without my reading glasses and find it difficult to tell the difference between 1/2, 2/3, 8/10 bars etc.
I think a granularity of 10% is fine unless you're running on fumes!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles