The Thron Thread

flipa

Aug 4, 2020
Yorkshire
I received an email from Suntour yesterday to say they had two Auron35 back in stock, so I ordered one of them. o_O
Hopefully it will arrive quickly so I can use this winter :)

Do you think the rake will make much difference? Everyone I've asked about this seems to think it won't be an issue.

New fork arrived this morning, hopefullly have it fitted before the weekend.

auron35.png

flipa

Aug 4, 2020
Yorkshire
I’ve gone with a small increase of 140mm, see how it feels. With the auron fork it’s reasonably quick to adjust the travel from 130mm to 160mm in increments of 10mm using the spacers that are supplied. So if 140mm doesn’t work I can change back to 130mm.

arjune1997

Sep 7, 2021
Somewhere in the outback
I’ve gone with a small increase of 140mm, see how it feels. With the auron fork it’s reasonably quick to adjust the travel from 130mm to 160mm in increments of 10mm using the spacers that are supplied. So if 140mm doesn’t work I can change back to 130mm.

Interesting, why not just go for 150 and make it the same as the Jam?

flipa

Aug 4, 2020
Yorkshire
I may well give that a go if 140mm doesn’t change the feel of the bike too much.
With the geometry being more upright than the Jam I was concerned increasing the height too much could result in the front wheel lifting too much when doing steeper climbs. Probably wouldn’t be too much of an issue for the downhills though!

Looks like it only take around 30 minutes to adjust the travel, so hopefully it will give me plenty of options for trial and error.

arjune1997

Sep 7, 2021
Somewhere in the outback
I may well give that a go if 140mm doesn’t change the feel of the bike too much.
With the geometry being more upright than the Jam I was concerned increasing the height too much could result in the front wheel lifting too much when doing steeper climbs. Probably wouldn’t be too much of an issue for the downhills though!

Looks like it only take around 30 minutes to adjust the travel, so hopefully it will give me plenty of options for trial and error.

Got it, please do share your thoughts as I think many of us here also hope to upgrade forks at some stage :) I have been interested to upgrade to 150 travel.

flipa

Aug 4, 2020
Yorkshire
Got the bike back from my local bike shop with the Auron35 fitted.

IMG_6985.jpg

I haven't had a chance to ride it yet just do a quick setup during my lunch break.
One thing I noticed when putting the bike into its storage, there is more clearance above the handlebars, it appears to sit lower than before which would indicate (assuming the fork was set up properly at 140mm from the factory) that there could be room to increase the travel to 150mm without having an impact on the geometry.

As a quick comparison I measured both the Auron and the XC to see if this was the case. I know there are many more variables and I will take some better measurements from the axel later when I get time. But hopefully the travel can be pushed further.

IMG_6987.jpg IMG_6988.jpg

Last edited:

arjune1997

Sep 7, 2021
Somewhere in the outback

View attachment 72126

I haven't had a chance to ride it yet just do a quick setup during my lunch break.
One thing I noticed when putting the bike into its storage, there is more clearance above the handlebars, it appears to sit lower than before which would indicate (assuming the fork was set up properly at 140mm from the factory) that there could be room to increase the travel to 150mm without having an impact on the geometry.

As a quick comparison I measured both the Auron and the XC to see if this was the case. I know there are many more variables and I will take some better measurements from the axel later when I get time. But hopefully the travel can be pushed further.

View attachment 72127 View attachment 72143

Looks nice & happy to hear the install was successful :)

Thanks for sharing this - I think I will do the same to mine in a few months time.

cryptout

Apr 5, 2021
Amsterdam Netherlands
I'm picking up my 6.9 tomorrow! Finally, after five months of waiting and see the summer come and go... Still happy and excited though, this will be my first e-mtb. I plan to use it for commutes and weekend trails, then next year take it to Germany on a holiday.

cryptout

Apr 5, 2021
Amsterdam Netherlands
I'm picking up my 6.9 tomorrow! Finally, after five months of waiting and see the summer come and go... Still happy and excited though, this will be my first e-mtb. I plan to use it for commutes and weekend trails, then next year take it to Germany on a holiday.

photo_2021-10-02_16-25-29.jpg

Sadly my "commuter" parts where not yet ready and I decided to leave the bike in the shop till next week. I rode it for a bit though and it's lots of fun.

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany

View attachment 72126

View attachment 72127 View attachment 72143
Awesome, thanks for posting, was thinking of doing the same thing, as you can keep the mudguards fitted if desired.

In other news, apparently the Thron is a desirable bike, because my wife used her bike once to commute to her work, locked it up in front of her building, and came back that afternoon to find the bike stolen. I've left my spectralon unlocked in a few places and had the luck the to find it unmoved. The Thron was apparently gone in less than an hour. Next bike will have a GPS tracker installed first thing.

flipa

Aug 4, 2020
Yorkshire
That's sucks! Hopefully you have insurance, but even then it's hard to get hold of a replacement.

I put the rear mudguard back on a couple of weeks back now that the weather has changed, and kept the smaller front guard that came with the fork.
So this is how it's currently looking, not as 'cool' but so worth it not to have to wash my jacket after every ride.

IMG_7171.jpg

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
We're going through the insurance thing now, will update how it goes. The unfortunate thing is we had upgraded the brakes, rotor, tires, and added a dropper post, but none of that would be covered, only the original purchase equipment qualifies for the insurance.

I think your bike looks great, the one thing I wish the Thron designs had sorted out was a locking mechanism on the kickstand, so that you don't need to remove the stand if you want to go on a trail, rather you just secure it with a clip onto the chainstay. Then it would be the perfect all-rounder, kids, touring, transport, and trails.
1637923845512.png

flipa

Aug 4, 2020
Yorkshire
Quick update as I had my Thron2 serviced recently.
Turns out the new Auron35 fork I had fitted end of last year hadn't been setup properly from the factory, so I hadn't been riding it at 140mm travel as I thought - not entirely sure what the problem was - had the correct number of spacers but was getting stuck when returning to its fully open position...

Decided to throw caution to the wind and have the fork setup for 150mm travel (to match the Jam2) and what a difference! I was concerned that the riding position would be awkward, or the bike would lift too easily while climbing, but it really doesn't effect the ride.

My riding position is slightly more upright but if anything I personally prefer that - more comfortable on long climbs.
But it feels much more plush and has eaten up everything I've thrown at it. A much more confident ride now!

nandewar

Aug 13, 2020
Australia
After countless kilometres of trips on a variety of hard tail touring and mountain bikes I have ordered a Thron. I went with the 6.8 over the EQP which is only available in Australia in the 6.7. I was hoping to simply purchase the rack used on the EQP seperately but have found out it won't fit over the 6.8's wheels and tyres. I plan on doing some touring with the new bike along back roads and fire trails so I need a strong mount for paniers.
I have looked at the Thule Thule Pack 'n Pedal | Thule | Australia along with the Side Frames and the Topeak TETRARACK M2L

The Old Man Mountain rack could work but are difficult to source here. Has anyone tried other racks or have any experience with the ones mentioned? Cheers.

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
I’m surprised the rack won’t fit as all the mounting holes and bolts are in place. Is it not just a thinner tyre is required?

nandewar

Aug 13, 2020
Australia
I’m surprised the rack won’t fit as all the mounting holes and bolts are in place. Is it not just a thinner tyre is required?
The rims are 30-622 vs 25-622. I have been told by the dealer that it won't fit. I haven't got access to the rack to check. If it was a matter of tyres only I would gladly swap them over.

russellb

Jan 21, 2022
Central Coast
After countless kilometres of trips on a variety of hard tail touring and mountain bikes I have ordered a Thron. I went with the 6.8 over the EQP which is only available in Australia in the 6.7. I was hoping to simply purchase the rack used on the EQP seperately but have found out it won't fit over the 6.8's wheels and tyres. I plan on doing some touring with the new bike along back roads and fire trails so I need a strong mount for paniers.
I have looked at the Thule Thule Pack 'n Pedal | Thule | Australia along with the Side Frames and the Topeak TETRARACK M2L

The Old Man Mountain rack could work but are difficult to source here. Has anyone tried other racks or have any experience with the ones mentioned? Cheers.
I believe the rack will fit, what wont is the mudguard. (FOCUS Fender Sets for THRON² fit only up to 57mm tire width)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles