Test Rides

GeordieDownSouth

Subscriber
Nov 14, 2023
Berko
Why is it getting almost impossible to test ride any new bikes this year, I've been looking at Cannondale Moterra SL's and Cube Hybrid One55 and nobody seems to let you do anything other than sit on them, quite often without pedals. Do the distributors no longer have demo bikes?

Sorry but i'm not parting with the amount of money these bikes are without riding them first.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I read the reviews, as many as I can find. Then I check the geometry compared with a bike I know fits me well. Then I keep an eye open for anyone on the trail with the same bike and engage them in conversation about their bike. I have found that total strangers always want to chat about their bike, especially to someone who want to get the same one (it validates their choice, if they need it). After a while I ask what size it is and if it's the size I think I need, ask if I can just sit on it. They usually say yes, and sometimes offer a few hundred yards up and down the trail. If that is all good, then I buy.

But even if I can't get to sit on one, five-star reviews and the geometry table is good enough to make a decision

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
If you live close to a YT Mill showroom they'll let you ride all you want. In the dirt too! If I were looking to buy I'd give it a try. Bikes are priced right - factory direct. Don't have their eMTB Decoy myself but did buy one of their Szepter gravel bikes last year and like it a lot.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Why is it getting almost impossible to test ride any new bikes this year

Many manufacturers have Demo Days where they work with a local dealer and bring out a trailer full of bikes. Some dealers will rent you the bikes, and then deduct the cost of the rentals when you decide to buy. Sometimes the owners of stores will let you take out their personal bikes. There are plenty of opportunities to try out bikes.

If a store would only let me sit on a bike with no pedals, then that store wouldn't be the one for me.

GeordieDownSouth

Subscriber
Nov 14, 2023
Berko
Many manufacturers have Demo Days where they work with a local dealer and bring out a trailer full of bikes. Some dealers will rent you the bikes, and then deduct the cost of the rentals when you decide to buy. Sometimes the owners of stores will let you take out their personal bikes. There are plenty of opportunities to try out bikes.

If a store would only let me sit on a bike with no pedals, then that store wouldn't be the one for me.
That's a thing of the past in the UK, all of the above you've mentioned a rarer than hens teeth....There was one demo day at a recent Enduro i couldn't attend due to family holidays and that was it. No mater, i collect my new bike today after being allowed to ride it down the street.

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
That's a thing of the past in the UK, all of the above you've mentioned a rarer than hens teeth....There was one demo day at a recent Enduro i couldn't attend due to family holidays and that was it. No mater, i collect my new bike today after being allowed to ride it down the street.
What did you decide on?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles