Swapped Out Galfer Rotors on my Rise

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
The Galfer rotors that came on my Rise LTD are simply awful. Literally nothing will get rid of the maddening squeal. Tried new pads, deep cleaning of the rotors with 99% alcohol, roughing up the rotors with a fine grit sandpaper. No change.

I was lucky enough to find some SM-RT86 rotors in stock, so I swapped them out (and moved the sensor magnet), and no more noise.

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Funny that - the Galfer I fitted to the front of my Haibike is silent, while the OEM rear Magura squeals like a pig when wet. I use the Galfer green pads up front and just fitted the same to the rear.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Funny that - the Galfer I fitted to the front of my Haibike is silent, while the OEM rear Magura squeals like a pig when wet. I use the Galfer green pads up front and just fitted the same to the rear.

Maybe the key is to not "cross the streams"! ;-)

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
Maybe the key is to not "cross the streams"! ;-)

Hmm, funny. All the streams we have out here aren't a problem for the brakes.
1617808548666.png

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
It looks like you've been riding in something......wet?!?! How the heck did that happen?? I think ground water is fiction...doesn't really exist, at least not here.o_O

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have been running the Galfers (223 up front, 203 out back) for a couple of years now with no issues. Mind you brake noise is a dark art, I have had identical set ups on different bikes where one squeals for for no rapparent eason and others that dont.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I have been running the Galfers (223 up front, 203 out back) for a couple of years now with no issues. Mind you brake noise is a dark art, I have had identical set ups on different bikes where one squeals for for no rapparent eason and others that dont.

Are you running Galfer pads?

Also, I run Galfer discs and pads on my KTM motorcycle and they work flawlessly.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The biggest issue I have had with the Galfers is that the 223mm rotor is 2mm vs standard 1.8mm wide, so very small tolerance for rubbing, and needs realigning from time to time.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
I've had good results with my Galfer rotors, but I have to agree with R120 that sometimes it's hard to see the rhyme or reason in general.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
The Galfer rotors that came on my Rise LTD are simply awful. Literally nothing will get rid of the maddening squeal. Tried new pads, deep cleaning of the rotors with 99% alcohol, roughing up the rotors with a fine grit sandpaper. No change.

I was lucky enough to find some SM-RT86 rotors in stock, so I swapped them out (and moved the sensor magnet), and no more noise.
What size front and rear did you go with Rick ?
Did you need post adapters for larger discs

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
For what it’s worth, if you need more power than Galfers provide and for some reason won’t or can’t move to a larger rotor size, Magura Storm HC rotors are a noticeable upgrade. They are 2.0mm thick and a bit heavier, but they do make for a better braking surface.

Last edited:

kragu

Mar 23, 2021
Los Angeles
I’m running Galfer rotors on 3 different bikes and can’t remember a period of time that I’ve had fewer issues with brakes. I did swap out the stock 180/180 for 203/203, but other than that I’ve had a year+ of stellar braking since gradually making the switch.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury

Hi Rick what did you do about the sensor magnet where did you move it to / how did you move it
Cheers

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Did you have any problems with the front disk fouling the calliper
When I tighten everything up the wheel will hardly turn as the disc fouls the calliper

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles