swap to Coil feelings?

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
so I ran a Levo for almost 2 years with a fox DHX2 coil shock. I did this as I am a heavy guy at 260lbs cso the stock air shock had to be ran at 300psi in order to get the correct sag, and at that pressure it di get sag but it belt like a 2 x 4. The coil was awesome very supple. When I swapped last year to the Rise I got a new Fox float X as I was told I could run it at 260psi. Yes it does run great for me at 260psi, it feels good there, but not quite as good as the dhx2 felt. The other issue is every month at the most I have to reset the air pressure which is a pain. The reason I did not go with the dhx2 from the get go with the rise was that fox did not list a 700lbs spring in the sls only the steel, so it would be close to 3lbs over the fox float x and I did not want that.
Now someone on this forum pointed me to a fox sls 700lbs spring and now Fox makes the DHX which is slightly lighter than the dhx2 and less complex, so I am leaning twords trying this.
For those who have gone to the coil shock did you notice the weight penalty?

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I ran Coils (DHX2's) on my Evil Calling, Orbea Rallon, Trek Rail, and a RS Super Deluxe Ultimate on my Evil Wreckoning. I love coils. I'm long shocking my Rise w/ a 216x63.5 DHX2 w/ 700lb SLS coil. I picked the Rise up w/ the Factory Float X, which I love as an air Shock. I run one on my Transition Spur as well.

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
to run the longshock I hear you need two offset bushings, anyone have a link to these? Once using the ofset bushings I take it the geometry remains the same as stock just more rear travel?

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Fox DHX2 Factory 2022 | Jenson USA I take it this is the shock you are going to run? Also does anyone know if running this longer shock will void the warrenty?
It will void warranty if you tell them.....just put on the stock shock if you bring it in. I did test fit the longer shock with the 700lb spring w/o offset bushings and there was knock at top out which i couldn't locate...didn't really try too hard as it was 3am....but i'll check again when bushings arrive.

MikeL_mtb

Feb 15, 2022
New York
Frame size matters a lot with the coil, I have a Med and my friend has a large, his bike angles the shock lower, so it has a lot of clearance for the tunnel. I tried mounting my cane creek DB air inline, with the aircan side forward and that doesn't clear under compression, while he got a CC DB coil on, swapped the other way with the controls forward, and it clears fine.

jene

May 12, 2021
Zaragoza
I´m also thinking on changing to 216x63 coil on a XL size with 550 spring...I guess it will fit based on people experiences but...Not sure if it worths...Just now there´re not people selling it and a new dhx2 is about 900€...Without spring, that adds another 140€... Not sure if ohlins ttx m22 or dvo jade x could be at same level as dhx2...

Any recommendation? 🤜🤛

Last edited:

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
so I ran a Levo for almost 2 years with a fox DHX2 coil shock. I did this as I am a heavy guy at 260lbs cso the stock air shock had to be ran at 300psi in order to get the correct sag, and at that pressure it di get sag but it belt like a 2 x 4. The coil was awesome very supple. When I swapped last year to the Rise I got a new Fox float X as I was told I could run it at 260psi. Yes it does run great for me at 260psi, it feels good there, but not quite as good as the dhx2 felt. The other issue is every month at the most I have to reset the air pressure which is a pain. The reason I did not go with the dhx2 from the get go with the rise was that fox did not list a 700lbs spring in the sls only the steel, so it would be close to 3lbs over the fox float x and I did not want that.
Now someone on this forum pointed me to a fox sls 700lbs spring and now Fox makes the DHX which is slightly lighter than the dhx2 and less complex, so I am leaning twords trying this.
For those who have gone to the coil shock did you notice the weight penalty?

I run an Ohlins coil shock after using Cane Creek DBAir for many years. The reason to go to a coil are for low friction/stiction, improved mid-stroke support, consistency on long demanding DH runs and the cost to maintain an air shock. Given that I might not be riding at such a high level as you are but given your weight, I am not sure how you would notice a difference of 3 lbs on the bike. Do you have a coil fork? If not, how often do you check your fork pressure? I chose a coil shock because it performs better than an air shock and is less expensive to maintain.

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
I run an Ohlins coil shock after using Cane Creek DBAir for many years. The reason to go to a coil are for low friction/stiction, improved mid-stroke support, consistency on long demanding DH runs and the cost to maintain an air shock. Given that I might not be riding at such a high level as you are but given your weight, I am not sure how you would notice a difference of 3 lbs on the bike. Do you have a coil fork? If not, how often do you check your fork pressure? I chose a coil shock because it performs better than an air shock and is less expensive to maintain.
trust me you might think you would not notice the weight difference but you do no matter your weight. Riding you do notice it a bit but if you get to a section that you have to lift the bike over or a section that you have to push up it is a major difference. The Levo really did feal like a freight train going down hill, while the orbea is sooooo much more controlable

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
trust me you might think you would not notice the weight difference but you do no matter your weight. Riding you do notice it a bit but if you get to a section that you have to lift the bike over or a section that you have to push up it is a major difference. The Levo really did feal like a freight train going down hill, while the orbea is sooooo much more controlable

I guess I am missing the intention of your original post. When you are asking about noticing a "weight penalty" are you referring to how the bike handles or how you have to lift or push your bike around when not riding it? Correct me if I am wrong but the Levo and the Orbea already wiegh quite a bit different?

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
Frame size matters a lot with the coil, I have a Med and my friend has a large, his bike angles the shock lower, so it has a lot of clearance for the tunnel. I tried mounting my cane creek DB air inline, with the aircan side forward and that doesn't clear under compression, while he got a CC DB coil on, swapped the other way with the controls forward, and it clears fine.
any chance you can get a photo of your friends large with the CC DB coil? Also is it a coil Inline?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles