• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Stunlocker - minor issue

Johnnie

Sep 8, 2019
Ireland
I haven’t had occasion to use StunLocker for a while, but after upgrading to version 1.9.35 this morning on my iPhone I connected via the app to my eBike and noticed an anomaly.

Previously the E-Bike’s Info screen on Stunlocker correctly identified Gears/Type on my bike to be ‘Electrical/Di2’ but now Stunlocker displays ‘Unknown (3)’

Also within the Gears Settings screen and within the Gear type section, it was previously possible to select ‘Mechanical type’ or ‘Electrical type’ - but now the only option available to me is ‘Unknown’.

My wife is also a Stunlocker user and has a similarly equipped bike to mine, I connected via the app to her machine and noted that the Shimano electronic gear mechanism is similarly no longer recognised by the StunLocker app. Both bikes are equipped with Shimano MU-UR500 Di2 motor units coupled to 8 speed Alfine internally geared hubs. Both motor units are running the current firmware version (3.1.0), which hasn’t changed for months.

I appreciate that few EMTB machines are equipped with Shimano Alfine or Nexus gear hubs so unless this issue also extends to Shimano Di2 derailleur mechanisms too then this situation is unlikely to affect the majority of Stunlocker users.

I rather suspect that Stunlocker is unable to resolve the identification ID generated by MU-UR500 Di2 gear motor units when queried by the app.

Hopefully this minor issue will be addressed in a future Stunlocker release.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles