Stuck on the horns of a dilemma

Pilton

Sep 23, 2024
UK
Hi guys - total emtb newbie here so forgive the ignorance.

I was on the verge of pulling the trigger on either a Fuel Exe or a Rise before coming across this forum and reading some of the comments. Now, I am unsure which bike to go for or, even if an emtb is the right thing to buy.

I'd describe my fitness state as reasonable. I'm 6ft 3ins and about 190lbs. I ride road, gravel and MTB, maybe about 100 miles a week. On the MTB I'll average about 14s on a 30 to 40 mile ride over mixed terrain...road, fire road and singletrack. (The only thing missing is hills.....there are none where I live.) I don't feel the need for any mechanical assistance over these distances but reasonably frequently, I'll ride an hour to the local trail centre, blast around there for a bit and then ride another hour home. I can do this fine on an ordinary bike but ideally, I'd like to spend more time on the middle bit and still feel fresh enough to have fun on the way home!

I enjoy time in the saddle and the trails on the way out can be a blast so I wouldn't want to miss them by simply loading the bike in the car and driving out.

Also....as I am of an age now where I can work a four day week, I often want to sneak in an extra few hours on the bike on my day off....just for fun, not for fitness or anything else. This would probably be where I find most use for an emtb, as my legs are usually quite tired on my 'off days'. I'd probably expect to ride for about two hours.

Finally, I have extended family in Wales and an emtb would have an obvious application there, especially for a flatlander.

So, as I see it, I'd need a lighter bike with an XC slant that will support me on longer rides, short blasts and the occasional stint in the hills. With the terrain here being pretty benign, even SL emtbs can seem like overkill so that's a potential issue too.

Am I after the moon on a stick or is there something out there that will cover at least some of the above? Would either of the bikes I have on my shortlist be suitable?

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I know everyone is different.......different fitness levels, different terrain etc, but for me emtb is a different type of riding.
A full powered full suspension emtb will tackle virtually any terrain limited only by the riders skill level . Tackling steep and technical climbs is as challenging and as much fun as blasting downhill.......and on a good enduro emtb downhill is a real blast. If that sounds like the type of riding you want....go for it. On the other hand if all you want is to make life a bit easier on single track flat terrain maybe a lower powered gravel or sl emtb is your best bet.

Weeksy

Subscriber
Dec 13, 2019
Reading
the Emtb does give the option to ride when tired for sure, it also gives the option to ride the day after riding if tht makes sense. I went out Eebing on Sat, then Sunday and Tues did 2 Zwift rides.
An ebike can be whatever you want it to be, it can be a crutch, it can be an uplift, it can be fun or it can just let you ride places you've not ridden. Can it improve your fittness, well, maybe.... but it doesn't matter, unless racing :)

If you want one, get one.... Easiest way to know the answer is, to try one on demo for a day.

Pilton

Sep 23, 2024
UK
@ Weeksy....that makes absolute sense.

I tried a Levo SL a while back and it was a hoot, which sort of set me off thinking along the emtb lines. Which sort of brings me back to whether a Fuel Exe or Rise would likely do the job? Comments on here suggest range is an issue with the Trek and then I wonder whether the Rise will have the legs...and will they be light enough to throw about like my analogue MTB. I get that emtb is different but I suppose I still like the idea of the traditional MTB feel.

Does that make sense?

Weeksy

Subscriber
Dec 13, 2019
Reading
@ Weeksy....that makes absolute sense.

I tried a Levo SL a while back and it was a hoot, which sort of set me off thinking along the emtb lines. Which sort of brings me back to whether a Fuel Exe or Rise would likely do the job? Comments on here suggest range is an issue with the Trek and then I wonder whether the Rise will have the legs...and will they be light enough to throw about like my analogue MTB. I get that emtb is different but I suppose I still like the idea of the traditional MTB feel.

Does that make sense?
Where you based mate ? You can meet up at FoD/somewhere and spend time on my Rise.

FWIW i ride a Specialized Status 160 too bit of riding, racing, chasing... i'm no slower downhill on the Rise than i am on the Status160. But i can go to places like Hopton and ride to the top of it, then down the red/black and if i want, back to the top of it again and repeat. My mate has a Gen1 full power Specialized and i'll admit he can climb in full power mode faster than my Rise, no argument. But his battery doesn't last as long as the Rise either. The Rise is just a remarkable 'trail' bike... it goes anywhere and does it really really well.

Pilton

Sep 23, 2024
UK
I'm in Suffolk. Thanks for the offer...I appreciate it but travel is difficult atm as my (very old) Mum isn't very well and might not be with us too much longer. How much distance would you expect to get from the Rise? I guess in eco mode.

Weeksy

Subscriber
Dec 13, 2019
Reading
I'm in Suffolk. Thanks for the offer...I appreciate it but travel is difficult atm as my (very old) Mum isn't very well and might not be with us too much longer. How much distance would you expect to get from the Rise? I guess in eco mode.
I don't ride it in Eco :)

I ride it in whatever middle mode is called, green light on mine... I'd exepct to get 40 miles with say 700m of elevation using that...
I'm heading to Surrey Hills on the 3rd Oct afternoon if that helps you ? Peaslake way.

Weeksy

Subscriber
Dec 13, 2019
Reading
You'll get lots of people who are all sanctamonious about "oh i only ride in Eco, sometimes i turn it off"... muppets :D i bought an ebike to give me MORE than a manual, not less. Why would i run it in eco... if i want virtually no assistance i may as well buy a lightweight XC manual bike

Pilton

Sep 23, 2024
UK
@ Weeksy

At 40 miles in 'not eco' mode it sounds like the Rise might be an option for me then. Which model do you ride? There are some good deals on 2023 M20s and M10s in XL atm.

Wolf_Trek

Sep 23, 2024
Colorado
I was on the fence for a while myself, then a deal popped up and I'm glad I did. I can still get in a solid workout, but don't feel completely gassed/knackered at the end of it, and can enjoy the scenery more. I also an fresher for the descents.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Here is an anomoly ( maybe) for you! We ride mostly forest trails....the steeper the better.....the more drops, jumps and gnar the better. Everytime we fly down we have to climb back to the top of the hill........BUT.........the majority of muscle tiredness, aerobic exercise, adrenaline and increased heart rate is on the descents not the climbs.
When we do a cross country ride instead there is alot more pedalling and we cover 3 or 4 times the distance of our forest sessions but none of it is taxing ...maybe tired legs the day after.

glixerd

Jan 8, 2024
Athens
Had a EMTB for a couple of weeks now, about 50k in so far
Absolutely chuffed to bollox with my bike, one of the best things i've bought, has really jump started my enjoyment of riding MTB's again.

For me very limited experience so far though, the main enjoyment is on hills.
On the flat, off-road i don't really feel the need much for the assistance.

Should say, i'm the fattest i've ever been and only have 1 lung, so about as unfit as you're likely to get.
Trail mode or even boost mode on the flat is amazing, but i don't giggle like i do on boost mode on the uphills.

You have to think that a EMTB is only good to 27kmh, so on any sections where you're doing around 25kmh a EMTB will offer no benefit.
Next ride have a look at your speeds and see.
From my limited experience the slower the path is, the more fun a EMTB is, you can really feel the power then.

FYI
My typical loop is around 15km and just over 700m of elevation

Hope that helps

Cheers
Mark

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
You'll get lots of people who are all sanctamonious about "oh i only ride in Eco, sometimes i turn it off"... muppets

Muppets? 🤣🫨😁 That's funny!

Füčķ Eco. Let them have it. I can turn my bike up to Turbo and push my heart rate up higher than I ever did on an Amish bike. Ride faster, ride in Turbo, and get a FULL body workout.

There are people who drive Toyota Corollas. They're fine cars. Ain't 'nothin' wrong with them. But then there are the people who drive McLaren Arturas. The Corolla drivers sometimes want to drive like the Artura. But the Arturo driver NEVER wants to drive a Corolla. Ride the big bike with a lot of power.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles