Stem legnth on Turbo Levo (or any e-bike)

johan_steyn

Aug 4, 2019
South Africa
Does it matter if I increase the stem legnth (from stock 50mm to 90 or 100 mm) on my 2019 Turbo Levo? I only ride gravel roads and occasional smooth single track.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I'd say going that much longer would slow your steering a bit, but for the riding you want to do it shouldn't be too much of an issue. If it's a fit problem (long arms?) then maybe try putting the seat back further first to see if that makes the cockpit more comfortable

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
This is a big risk. If you ask a question on the internet all answers will come. Stop reading. First on a bike we set saddle height(that is a constant till death). Than foreward/backward. If you ride 2 hrs pain free it is likely correct. Than you do what you need with your cockpit, it all depends on your skeleton, where you ride, your preferences. I need a short stem, what you need i have no clue. Do you have crazy long legs like me?

Ginsterdrz

Jun 14, 2019
Lancashire
There's a lot of BS spoken in relation to stem length and steering/handling etc.
I run 70 and 80mm stems on my MTB's and I've not died yet. They both feel less twitchy and put me in a nicer riding position. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks or says!
Buy/borrow a cheapo stem and see how it feels to you.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
…....apart from moving the saddle on its rails you can also alter the position of the bars to increase reach or change bars for ones with less sweep...might e worth trying both before changing stem length. If you do change stem I would avoid making too much of a length difference since just a small change can translate into a very different riding position.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Does it matter if I increase the stem legnth (from stock 50mm to 90 or 100 mm) on my 2019 Turbo Levo? I only ride gravel roads and occasional smooth single track.

no. the steering will be less tippy and more ruddery. for lack of a better description.

personally I like short stems and wide bars.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Most people would never notice blindfolded.
They all know but my bar is great at 620 who cares if it is a la mode
i sure dont.
Try using 1 pedal each side of the frame it works for me.

Marcelfacd

May 30, 2019
Leersum

Whether you'll notice is to find out....bigger question is, what is the reason for wanting to do this? Comfort, geometrie, lack of length?
In general you can assume that a longer stem gives you a more sluggish but also more vague character (your bike that is ;)
It is not coincidence or fashion that nowadays bikes (with 29' wheels and 65-66degr headangles) have short stems and wide bars. Gives them more leverage in tight(er) corners.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles