SRAM XX1 chain life??

TonyTortoiseRees

May 16, 2020
newport
Hi My friend and I have recently brought two specialized Swork turbo levo's our first ebikes. The bikes have been a game changer with us riding more and more. My question is how long should a drive chain last? I snapped a chain after 260 miles Sram XX1. I have covered 800 miles on the replacement chain Sram XX1. My friend has covered 800miles and recently returned the bike back to the shop because of a snapped chain and a very heavy clunk when in the smaller cogs on the cassette. The shop mechanic examined the bike to then be told that it needed a new cassette,chain and chainring, to then to be told it would be at a cost. Since owning these Ebikes these are the other faults that were fix free of charge. BIKE1 motor, BIKE2, charging port wire, main wire to the display, dropperseatpost. the bike shop made it clear that the issues with the drivechain is wear and tear even with the millage being so low and never offered sending the defected parts back to Sram or Emailing them. we would be so grateful for any advive or freeback if you have had the same problems. regards TONY REES

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
I got 600 km out of an xx1 chain. The fancy kmc digital chain checker i have didn't seem to work on the 12 speed chain but when the old and new chain were laid out side by side there was an eighth of an inch stretch, apparently enough to effect shift quality.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have tried a variety of ways to check chain length and wear. I have found that removing the chain to measure works the best and most consistently.

Lay out the chain on a flat surface. I use a kitchen worktop with a layer of newspaper underneath the chain. Stretch out the chain to ensure all the links are in contact and measure 100 links pin to pin with a metal tape measure. A new chain will measure 50". A badly worn chain will measure 50-1/2" (ie 1%). General advice in most bike publications is to replace at 0.75%, or 50-3/8". But I prefer 50-5/16" or 0.625%. I'm not too fussed if I go a bit over that as I occasionally forget to measure the chain in time.

TonyTortoiseRees

May 16, 2020
newport
I have tried a variety of ways to check chain length and wear. I have found that removing the chain to measure works the best and most consistently.

Lay out the chain on a flat surface. I use a kitchen worktop with a layer of newspaper underneath the chain. Stretch out the chain to ensure all the links are in contact and measure 100 links pin to pin with a metal tape measure. A new chain will measure 50". A badly worn chain will measure 50-1/2" (ie 1%). General advice in most bike publications is to replace at 0.75%, or 50-3/8". But I prefer 50-5/16" or 0.625%. I'm not too fussed if I go a bit over that as I occasionally forget to measure the chain in time.
many thanks for your advise

TonyTortoiseRees

May 16, 2020
newport

thank you for your advise very helpful

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020

Sounds like a PITA. Got my chain-checker tool on order.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Sounds like a PITA. Got my chain-checker tool on order.
Chain checkers are OK, but crude. I used to use a vernier caliper and discovered that the chain varies in wear across the length of it. I was so surprised that I checked and rechecked to make sure. It was this variation that put me off measuring over a short distance. With a magic link it takes very little time to remove the chain and measure it. I just have to wait until my wife is out!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

Yes i was going to change mine as it was over limits. It was off as bike getting a good ckean and measured before changing it to find still well in limits .

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
xx1 chains are some of the strongest longest lasting available,if not the best. This is from independent lab tests. How you shift and clean/lube will have a dramatic effect on life. I get 2000+ miles on analog and 1500+ on E.

For the longest/best investment..... Get 3 chains on new cassette and front ring. Then rotate chains every 300ish miles. Everything will all wear together and be the most cost-effective. Should last thousands of miles.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
xx1 chains are some of the strongest longest lasting available,if not the best. This is from independent lab tests. How you shift and clean/lube will have a dramatic effect on life. I get 2000+ miles on analog and 1500+ on E.

For the longest/best investment..... Get 3 chains on new cassette and front ring. Then rotate chains every 300ish miles. Everything will all wear together and be the most cost-effective. Should last thousands of miles.
Got three hundred out of mine same as pc1 to be honest. Lot of muddy riding.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles