SRAM Transmission - GX vs XO

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Hi folks, I'm currently considering upgrading my bike to a T-type transmission and found online that the difference between GX and XO currently is just under £150.

Which would you go for? I like the battery position better on GX, but I guess everything else is better on XO. Is it a no-brainer for the extra £150ish?

Oxon

Jun 30, 2021
The Shire
For me, I’d go with the X0 if it’s only £150 more for the groupset.
I’ve got GX AXS on one bike and X0 AXS on the other and the X0 just looks and feels better quality.
Not sure if the same goes for the T-type stuff though.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Thanks. That's kinda what I'm thinking also. I do wonder if they're going to revise the top tier groupsets with the new battery position though. Though I suppose that's anybody's guess as to if/when they did that.

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
I would go X0 if I was not "gnarly" like on the fanatik utube video.

I smashed my Shimano cage last week, and althought I could straighten it to work o.k.... just for a couple of rides, I just bought a new RD, and will keep my straighten RD in the bag, for those long weekend rides (just in case).
It wasn't my first time that happen, nor ripping a RD to pieces.
Due to this usage, I'm not into +1k drivetrain, but they really look NICE on a bike!

BTW:
It seems the cage on this derailleurs are on the heavy side: 141.59€ (bike24).

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Have you guys seen this?

Yeah, I've watched a ton of vids, but still struggling to make the call.

I think XO is the best bet for that money, as in reality I doubt the battery placement will make any difference as the battery is pretty well shielded on either model, and that's the only real benefit of GX (other than the price).

I mainly want to change it so I can shift under power, as I end up doing that accidentally anyway by not factoring in the overrun.

Romney

Jul 6, 2023
NY, USA
Hello, GX is supposed to be more durable than the XO for the emtb torque , but XO is also recommended by SRAM for emtb. XO does look more cool 😎

JayGoodrich

Aug 11, 2023
Alpine, Wyoming
Hi folks, I'm currently considering upgrading my bike to a T-type transmission and found online that the difference between GX and XO currently is just under £150.

Which would you go for? I like the battery position better on GX, but I guess everything else is better on XO. Is it a no-brainer for the extra £150ish?
For that small of a difference go XO. I had an early GX AXS bike and there definitely was a difference in quality there.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Yeah, I'm not even sure about doing it. I have a new bike with Shimano XT on it. But it's my first ebike and I like the idea of not having to worry so much about accidentally changing gear whilst the overrun kicks in and upsets the drivetrain.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
I would say go with XO as if the difference between 2 is anything like the old axs system there is a noticeable difference between the GX & XO. I can tell you there is a big difference between the old system and the transmission I went with the XX to see what the top tier was like as there was a tangible difference between the gx &xo .

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
I would say go with XO as if the difference between 2 is anything like the old axs system there is a noticeable difference between the GX & XO. I can tell you there is a big difference between the old system and the transmission I went with the XX to see what the top tier was like as there was a tangible difference between the gx &xo .
Do you think it's worth it over a normal mechanical drivetrain?

They use the rebuildability of the mech as a selling point, but just the cage part costs around double a whole XT mech, so it's not much of a selling point! (And I don't think that was an XX cage, either.)

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Yeah, I'm not even sure about doing it. I have a new bike with Shimano XT on it. But it's my first ebike and I like the idea of not having to worry so much about accidentally changing gear whilst the overrun kicks in and upsets the drivetrain.
I can tell you that at times it will shift so smooth that the only reason you know the gear changed is because it got easier or harder to pedal. Mind you this is not while shifting under heavy loads but, while shifting in more optimal conditions and won't do it every time but on a fairly regular bases if trying you can get it to.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Do you think it's worth it over a normal mechanical drivetrain?

They use the rebuildability of the mech as a selling point, but just the cage part costs around double a whole XT mech, so it's not much of a selling point! (And I don't think that was an XX cage, either.)
the XT is a pretty nice setup I set one up with a XT cassette XT chain XTR derailer and xtr shifter and could go up or down that so fast. It's a tuff call the price is higher than it should be I lean to it's worth it

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
I can tell you that at times it will shift so smooth that the only reason you know the gear changed is because it got easier or harder to pedal. Mind you this is not while shifting under heavy loads but, while shifting in more optimal conditions and won't do it every time but on a fairly regular bases if trying you can get it to.
So what's the optimal shifting situation then? SRAM say more power makes it shift smoother, but in some videos I've watched it's really load doing that, which makes me wonder how good that is for the transmission. And if you break something on T-type it's a lot more expensive to fix than any other drivetrain.

That said, others have noted how quiet it is when not shifting, due to the extra spring tension.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
So what's the optimal shifting situation then? SRAM say more power makes it shift smoother, but in some videos I've watched it's really load doing that, which makes me wonder how good that is for the transmission. And if you break something on T-type it's a lot more expensive to fix than any other drivetrain.

That said, others have noted how quiet it is when not shifting, due to the extra spring tension.
there is difference between power and load so in that sense yes.

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
there is difference between power and load so in that sense yes.
Power is basically load (torque) times rotation (rpm).
You can have High Power both ways:
1) high load (torque) low rpm
2) low load (torque) high rpm

What I assume from SRAM position, is that it shifts better under power (or load in this case), than stop charging the pedals and wait it to shift.

On Shimano Hyperglide+, that's the case. It shifts much better under Load/Power than easying the pedals - has almost ALL used to do it to save the drivetrain.

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
From what I could retrieve, it doesn't specify if it's high or low rpm.
Due to different situations:
Upshift - normally it'll be performed on high rpm/low torque conditions
Downshift - normally is performed on high torque (loads), and while climbing.

I supose the system is designed to shift independently of torque, has Shimano Hyperglide+

PS: The idea behind Hyperglide+ and Transmission is a simplified version of a DSG gearbox.
You shouldn't apply old technics on these ones

btw, I've used downshift for chainging the chain from a smaller sprocket to a bigger one (in the cassete)

Last edited:

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
So you're supposed to do high rpm low load for the best shifts?
It's a little bit like speed shifting a standard transmission so yes sort of. Don't confuse that with the fact that yes you can shift under load. The smoother you shift the better it is for your drivetrain but that doesn't mean it won't take the abuse. You have to use the setup to get a feel for how to use it for best performance. I think some people don't understand that you don't just press the button per say. I remember reading something about multi shift feature not being activated on the ebike versions

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
It's a little bit like speed shifting a standard transmission so yes sort of. Don't confuse that with the fact that yes you can shift under load. The smoother you shift the better it is for your drivetrain but that doesn't mean it won't take the abuse. You have to use the setup to get a feel for how to use it for best performance. I think some people don't understand that you don't just press the button per say. I remember reading something about multi shift feature not being activated on the ebike versions
Oh right. I did wonder about that as some people say you can multi shift and others say you can't.

SRAM say it shifts better under load though, which is what had me wondering how best to use it.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Oh right. I did wonder about that as some people say you can multi shift and others say you can't.

SRAM say it shifts better under load though, which is what had me wondering how best to use it.
It does Shift well under load but, the oh crap I forgot to shift works but can be crunchy which means your putting more wear on the drivetrain. logic tells you the quieter you can make it shift the less wear your putting on it. Just like with your XT when you mostly hear that satisfying click and not crunchy noises. It's not magic how it shifts the rider is part of the equation but' it is a whole lot closer. I can tell you if you get a chance to get on a bike that has it and is setup right and ride it for a hour or two. you'll see just how good it is but, that it's not just push the button not that it's hard. It's pretty AWESOME just not magical !

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Yeah, but with XT you know to take all load off the cranks and just spin them really lightly whilst shifting, so it makes it easy to ensure you get a good shift. (Ignoring the motor overrun which has ruined it for me before!)

But with T-type they say it shifts better the harder you pedal, but then some suggest that's not the case...

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Yeah, but with XT you know to take all load off the cranks and just spin them really lightly whilst shifting, so it makes it easy to ensure you get a good shift. (Ignoring the motor overrun which has ruined it for me before!)

But with T-type they say it shifts better the harder you pedal, but then some suggest that's not the case...
You really need to try it out if you can.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Not sure where I'd try one out TBH.

Also concerned if I bought now they'd end up being on offer come black Friday.
They or some one else could come up with a even better system tomorrow. There is a point when the what if thing just keeps you from doing anything. I can tell you the system works very well! I think your at that line where if you could try it out it would give what you need to know on weather to buy or not. I say the price is a hurdle but, the product is pretty darn good!

Redders473

Jul 30, 2020
Leeds
Anyone having issues with chains snapping I've probably done about 2000 miles on my XO transmission and in that timeframe I've replaced 2 XO chains and today snapped a brand new GX one.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles