SRAM Star ratchet upgrade

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Has anyone done this. I hadn’t given it a thought until I actually checked the amount of free crank rotation/play with the standard 18 ratchet. Deffo going for a 54 upgrade.

Technomupet67

Dec 29, 2020
London
Has anyone done this. I hadn’t given it a thought until I actually checked the amount of free crank rotation/play with the standard 18 ratchet. Deffo going for a 54 upgrade.
Hummm interesting....not sure what ratchet I have on mine but agree that a small play would be nice ? Must check !

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Check the topic out on YouTube. There is a lot of chat about the Chinese ratchet sets as opposed to the DT Swiss genuine.
I would normally steer clear of Chinese stuff but in this case it does seem to be potentially better. The key being it’s made of steel as opposed to alloy.
DT Swiss do apply a disclaimer on longevity of the 54 ratchet.

I’ll find the link for the eBay Chinese kit.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
If you fancy a laugh and some info about changing to a 54 ratchet;

Technomupet67

Dec 29, 2020
London
I checked mine is a 24teeth. I have approx 2600KM on my bike so I thought I could service it properly. dismounted and must say that it is all nice and no signs of too much wear. Still, I ordered a 54T (not cheap) as I would like to see if any better or not etc. Will share here once I receive.

Technomupet67

Dec 29, 2020
London
I installed the 54T DT swiss upgrade and it was an easy install. The hub gets open without tools once you have removed the cassette. Ratchet is definitely louder and engagement is obviously shorter. It feels nice and I have only made a short ride with it (about 20 miles). It felt nicer in the uphill very muddy recent conditions. I suppose that time will tell if this was a worthy upgrade. It came with enough grease to last a lifetime given that you only need a little to set it up. I will probably do more regular maintenance/cleaning on this part now that I know it is easy to do.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Excellent. Put mine in yesterday but not been out yet. As you say, very easy to maintain. Deffo feels better.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles