SRAM GX11 rear mech jockey wheels replacement

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Mine have seized up both times due to fine grit getting in to the bearings and setting like cement.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
i swapped that little plastic pulley for an aluminium MTZoom one with a bearing
There is also one called Bike yoke shifty

Austinc

Nov 19, 2020
Marlow
I always wash my bike down with garden hose (with head on it) after each ride, then store in warm garage, and oil up before each ride. I don’t user power washer.
This time of year, through the forests the mud is thick, see picture which I took when my gearing was making some terrible noises.
Given the cost of that ride, I might stick to gravel tracks for a bit.

733687C2-06B6-48BC-8C7A-2DC17654DD7C.jpeg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The jockey wheels on my GX never seized but they had a lot of side play so I changed them for Hope ones. The Hope ones are as good as new...no side play, and certainly no problems with seizing. As a bonus I noticed when I fitted the Hopes that gear selection became smoother than before. For £35 I consider them well worth the money.

Austinc

Nov 19, 2020
Marlow
I also had shifting problems recently following a wee crash that bent my mech hanger. New hanger, checked alignment, checked cables but shifting still crap. Realised it was worse in some of the gears so got a new SLX cassette, huge improvement.

I received the jockey wheels and fitted now, so far so good. They look great and put the original SRAM ones to shame - attached picture.

Realised chain was stretched so put on a new chain. Went for a ride and the chain was riding up over the cassette and slipping. Towards the end of the ride this improved and wasn’t slipping as much. But I assume this could be a sign I need a new cassette too?

What did you choose SLX and not SRAM ?

8568C938-C58B-40D2-AC89-F8137565968B.jpeg

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I received the jockey wheels and fitted now, so far so good. They look great and put the original SRAM ones to shame - attached picture.

Realised chain was stretched so put on a new chain. Went for a ride and the chain was riding up over the cassette and slipping. Towards the end of the ride this improved and wasn’t slipping as much. But I assume this could be a sign I need a new cassette too?

What did you choose SLX and not SRAM ?

View attachment 45773
Cost and quality. I saw a good deal from Tweeks, and a perception that SLX was higher up the chain than NX, so thought I'd give it a try.

Austinc

Nov 19, 2020
Marlow
Cost and quality. I saw a good deal from Tweeks, and a perception that SLX was higher up the chain than NX, so thought I'd give it a try.

My current cassette is SRAM 11spd, I assumed I had to buy compatible. Did not realise that Shimano was compatible. It is cheaper, the SRAM XG1150 I currently have is £100 vs the SLX at half that price. And they are a direct replacement and fit hub etc?

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
My current cassette is SRAM 11spd, I assumed I had to buy compatible. Did not realise that Shimano was compatible. It is cheaper, the SRAM XG1150 I currently have is £100 vs the SLX at half that price. And they are a direct replacement and fit hub etc?
SLX and NX fit Shimano splined freehub. XG1150 fits SRAM XD freehub, I'm afraid.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles