Sram Eagle GX chain and cassette issue?

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I am a mobile mechanic so did bikes at peoples work place & home & test ride the bike, the most important bit which no shop does or ones I worked in didn’t, as you ride it will behave differently to in the stand with chain growth etc, so yes that way I can check all gears & adjust where required

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sorry mate but of course shops test ride bikes. Especially high end ones in for gear issues.

If wherever you worked didn't. It doesn't sound like it had a very good workshop.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Cycle surgery in basement shop in London they certainly never did, realised didn’t wanna spend all my life in. Basement of bike shop building new bikes & fixing punctures & gears didn’t have time to test ride bikes too busy nor did other mechanics

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I wasn't asking you to name and shame. but trust me. Never test riding bikes in for repair is very poor service for a workshop.
you're better off out of there.
and never forget. Everyday's a school day. no matter how experienced a bike mechanic you think you are. ;)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
haha... if you ever head up this way give me a shout and I'll show you the good trails.
But you're not wrenching on my bike. thanks ;)

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I have wrenched on loads of BSOs Gary so sure be fine on your bikes ?
Not been to Scotland riding in a while from where I am I can get to Morzine in same time as Fort Bill

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Difficult choice. What with Fort William being an absolute hole with shit weather 350 days of the year and one DH track accessed by an overpriced gondola service with short opening hours ;)

There's plenty great Scottish riding 4 hours closer to you ;)

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
I think everyone is missing the point here, the bike shop didn't say the gears aren't shifting they said the chain was slipping on some cogs which points to chain wear! Or could even be freehub if its only when under real pressure!

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I have ridden Glentress, with mates, anyway it’s Friday night taken up too much of this thread but good banter lol

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Konanige. Despite correcting the advice from my new Londonese friend I wasn't actually missing the point.
Poor top jockey wheel clearance from less than optimum B-tension adjustment can cause far less chain wrap in the smaller cassette sprockets. Which presents itself as chain slip under load far earlier than if set optimally.
an out of alignment hanger can also cause issues with chain slip on worn a cassette.
But I'm not about to second guess every scenario here on a bike I'm never going to see IRL.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles