Spontaneous E-Bike Fire on Toronto subway (New Year's Eve 2023)

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
Spontaneous e-bike fire on Toronto TTC (subway).

Very scary.
I store my Trek Powerfly battery inside my apartment over the winter.

Could anyone possibly discern from the photo the brand of the e-bike? Hope it is not one of the major brands.

Video of the fire:
e-bike catches fire in the TTC subway. Toronto Canada

News report::

Photo of ebike:

Burned e-bike Toronto subway.png

Last edited:

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
It looks like something made up with power tool batteries to me.
I wouldn't worry about your Trek battery as it's full of electronics designed to prevent this sort of thing. But I still wouldn't store or charge it near any exit doors.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Hope it is not one of the major brands.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think it's not one of what we would consider as from one the major brands. The box on the downtime looks like a controller unit so I think it's a either a home conversion or a cheaper commuter eBike.

I've had Bosch batteries in my house and garage for over 6 years and I haven't had any issues.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
whatever caught fire looks to have been on the rack at the back of the bike.........its not a mid drive motor and does not look like a hub motor either so maybe not an ebike at all. Probably a modified Tesla :p :ROFLMAO:

kla456

Mar 8, 2020
Scotland
I'm having a problem at hotels refusing my bike (on fire brigade advice, they say) but I can't stay if the bike is not in secure overnight storage with charging. Some bikes have removable batteries that can be carried into room (no control by hotel!), and of course laptops, mobile phones, etc. are beside us everywhere. I've not yet encountered a hotel basement carpark that refused entry to my EV.

What I'm saying is that batteries are part of modern life and they can't all be stored in the garden shed.
I trust batteries and battery chargers from reputable companies and OEM batteries installed in reputable products.
I know there is a risk but I'm am happy to store all of them inside my house.

I do not trust generic after-market batteries and I don't muck around with battery configurations that I don't understand.
I'm know batteries are less efficient at low temperatures, but that's not the question here and my EV works well enough parked outside.
Just saying .........

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I'm having a problem at hotels refusing my bike (on fire brigade advice, they say) but I can't stay if the bike is not in secure overnight storage with charging. Some bikes have removable batteries that can be carried into room (no control by hotel!), and of course laptops, mobile phones, etc. are beside us everywhere. I've not yet encountered a hotel basement carpark that refused entry to my EV.

What I'm saying is that batteries are part of modern life and they can't all be stored in the garden shed.
I trust batteries and battery chargers from reputable companies and OEM batteries installed in reputable products.

I do not trust generic after-market batteries and I don't muck around with battery configurations that I don't understand.
I'm know batteries are less efficient at low temperatures, but that's not the question here and my EV works well enough parked outside.
Just saying .........
I have three of the Nest fire detectors which are hardwired and ‘talk’ to each other. (I think they’re Google now). But I don’t have one in my garage/shop where I store and charge my bikes.

I’ve been procrastinating about getting a 4th. I better get another before I regret it. 😳

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
I have three of the Nest fire detectors which are hardwired and ‘talk’ to each other. (I think they’re Google now). But I don’t have one in my garage/shop where I store and charge my bikes.

I’ve been procrastinating about getting a 4th. I better get another before I regret it. 😳
Yeah, I just purchased a fire detector for the room where I charge my battery.

kla456

Mar 8, 2020
Scotland
Yeah, I just purchased a fire detector for the room where I charge my battery.
Spontaneous e-bike fire on Toronto TTC (subway).

Very scary.
I store my Trek Powerfly battery inside my apartment over the winter.

Could anyone possibly discern from the photo the brand of the e-bike? Hope it is not one of the major brands.

Video of the fire:
e-bike catches fire in the TTC subway. Toronto Canada

News report::

Photo of ebike:

View attachment 131588
That's a good point.
Spontaneous - not when charging or in use. And it's a big bike to be permitted into middle section of a metro carriage beside the disabled seats. It would be useful to get the fire service report.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

Just saying .........
Serious offence in offshore industry in uk leaving a laptop charging if nobody in room. Some folk like to leave them charging on the bed.

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
Fire/Smoke detectors have a limited lifetime and should be checked at least once a year. I just replaced all of them in the house.
But how do you extinguish at home the burning battery pack? Next point is that at least when the battery of a EV car burns it is said that it spreads heavy toxid emissions to its surrounding.

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
Here are some comments and recommendations of a German website of a insurance company:

How does an e-bike battery burn?
Lithium-ion batteries – that’s the exact term – have become an integral part of modern lifestyles. Li batteries provide cell phones, electric vehicles and many tools with the energy they need. Spectacular fires are reported again and again. Transported lithium batteries are even said to have caused the crash of a UPS freight plane in Dubai in 2010. After a house fire in Bremen in the summer of 2021, investigators found a completely charred e-bike that had been parked in front of it. In January 2022, a villa in Isernhagen near Hanover burned down, causing material damage amounting to millions. The cause: A defective e-bike battery exploded in the library of the 1,600 m2 property and first set the books and then the building on fire. The residents were warned in good time by an alarm system and were able to escape outside.

Lithium batteries have an extreme energy density. This is of course an advantage for an energy source. However, if this energy is released uncontrollably, thermal energy develops. This encounters relatively quickly flammable chemicals. When the electrolytes in the battery ignite, they release energy in a fraction of a second. The resulting fire is supplied by oxygen from the cathode. Once the e-bike battery burns, further energy is released in a chain reaction. Fire protection experts speak of a “thermal run-away”. In the worst case scenario, this process can cause the e-bike battery to literally explode. Causes of battery fires can be mechanical damage, manufacturing defects or exposure to temperatures above 70°C, improper storage or use and overcharging. If a battery ruptures, the risk of fire for the surrounding area is often compounded by the development of smoke, which is harmful to health, because the plastic housing bursts into flames. To minimize this risk as best as possible, you should do everything that could promote an uncontrolled release of energy.

An e-bike battery rarely burns
Experts rightly emphasize again and again that accidents caused by an e-bike battery burning are unfortunate isolated cases. Electric cars, for example, are about as little or as susceptible to fire as gasoline cars. However, given the 7.1 million electric bicycles that have been rolling in Germany since 2021, according to the Federal Statistical Office, defective or even burning batteries cannot be completely ruled out. The rare battery fires are always a sensational topic in the media, without it being possible to derive a mass phenomenon from them. Statistics on the risk of fire should be viewed with caution, as percentage figures are difficult to determine given the ever-increasing number of Li-ion batteries in the world. They are probably currently in the per mille range of all fire causes, i.e. less than one percent. Public perception is easily deceived. While the cliché of a burned-out Tesla is ingrained in many people's minds, the US highway fire department has calculated that for every billion kilometers driven, 90 conventional cars caught fire - but only two electric cars. Of course, this study says nothing about the share of e-mobility in traffic volume. Nevertheless, it can allay fears about the dangers of the battery and draw attention to a few useful safety precautions.

My e-bike battery is burning: what to do?
An e-bike battery fire should never be underestimated. The General Association of Insurers therefore advises not to put out the fire yourself. The danger from toxic gases, corrosive substances or deflagration is simply too great. Please alert the fire department immediately and ensure that human lives are protected first. If possible, you can at least throw a blanket or sand over the burning battery. Even before an e-bike battery even burns, intense heat and smoke develop. It is then necessary to quickly move the part to an environment where it cannot cause any damage, such as outdoors. Although a fire can be prevented through correctly carried out water cooling, this is also a matter for professionals. Please no experiments!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Here are some comments and recommendations of a German website of a insurance company:

Lithium-ion batteries – that’s the exact term – have become an integral part of modern lifestyles. Li batteries provide cell phones, electric vehicles and many tools with the energy they need. Spectacular fires are reported again and again. Transported lithium batteries are even said to have caused the crash of a UPS freight plane in Dubai in 2010. After a house fire in Bremen in the summer of 2021, investigators found a completely charred e-bike that had been parked in front of it. In January 2022, a villa in Isernhagen near Hanover burned down, causing material damage amounting to millions. The cause: A defective e-bike battery exploded in the library of the 1,600 m2 property and first set the books and then the building on fire. The residents were warned in good time by an alarm system and were able to escape outside.

Lithium batteries have an extreme energy density. This is of course an advantage for an energy source. However, if this energy is released uncontrollably, thermal energy develops. This encounters relatively quickly flammable chemicals. When the electrolytes in the battery ignite, they release energy in a fraction of a second. The resulting fire is supplied by oxygen from the cathode. Once the e-bike battery burns, further energy is released in a chain reaction. Fire protection experts speak of a “thermal run-away”. In the worst case scenario, this process can cause the e-bike battery to literally explode. Causes of battery fires can be mechanical damage, manufacturing defects or exposure to temperatures above 70°C, improper storage or use and overcharging. If a battery ruptures, the risk of fire for the surrounding area is often compounded by the development of smoke, which is harmful to health, because the plastic housing bursts into flames. To minimize this risk as best as possible, you should do everything that could promote an uncontrolled release of energy.

Experts rightly emphasize again and again that accidents caused by an e-bike battery burning are unfortunate isolated cases. Electric cars, for example, are about as little or as susceptible to fire as gasoline cars. However, given the 7.1 million electric bicycles that have been rolling in Germany since 2021, according to the Federal Statistical Office, defective or even burning batteries cannot be completely ruled out. The rare battery fires are always a sensational topic in the media, without it being possible to derive a mass phenomenon from them. Statistics on the risk of fire should be viewed with caution, as percentage figures are difficult to determine given the ever-increasing number of Li-ion batteries in the world. They are probably currently in the per mille range of all fire causes, i.e. less than one percent. Public perception is easily deceived. While the cliché of a burned-out Tesla is ingrained in many people's minds, the US highway fire department has calculated that for every billion kilometers driven, 90 conventional cars caught fire - but only two electric cars. Of course, this study says nothing about the share of e-mobility in traffic volume. Nevertheless, it can allay fears about the dangers of the battery and draw attention to a few useful safety precautions.

An e-bike battery fire should never be underestimated. The General Association of Insurers therefore advises not to put out the fire yourself. The danger from toxic gases, corrosive substances or deflagration is simply too great. Please alert the fire department immediately and ensure that human lives are protected first. If possible, you can at least throw a blanket or sand over the burning battery. Even before an e-bike battery even burns, intense heat and smoke develop. It is then necessary to quickly move the part to an environment where it cannot cause any damage, such as outdoors. Although a fire can be prevented through correctly carried out water cooling, this is also a matter for professionals. Please no experiments!
We recovered one in a beacon from the seabed that had been there for years . You wouldn't believe the amount of meetings and precautions taken to recover it .

kbass24emtp

Dec 27, 2019
St. Louis

If your ebike battery catches fire get out. Nothing you have at your home will put it out. The gas released will poison you. If the gas comes in contact with your skin it will burn you. Water does not put the fire out. All it does is cool the other cells to prevent them from going into thermal runaway. The fire will not go out until all the fuel that is burning is used up.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
proper brand ebike batteries should only be at risk when charging and they will cut out if a battery starts to get hot.
If it's aUL certified battery they are supposed to be designed to avoid "propagation of fire" which I'm guessing after a quick google should mean they can't spread a fire, or cause something to combust.

I think inside the battery there are plastic chunks that melt and cover a cell if it gets too hot, and also if it's UL certified it's supposed to not have thermal run off, which is where one cell causes another to start a chain reaction

I'm guessing that subway fire was caused by something like a cheapo chinese battery having crappy soldering etc and one of the cells got shorted, those bateries have no safety certification and are built as cheap as possible

Last edited:

kla456

Mar 8, 2020
Scotland
That is a very informative video.
Thanks for posting it!

This from Cyclingweekly.com​

UL AND CE LISTED E-BIKE BRANDS AS OF MAY 2023​

ManufacturerModel
Row 0 - Cell 0 Row 0 - Cell 1
3T BicyclesBoost
Argon18Dark Matter, Subito E-Gravel, Subito E-Road
AventonAbound, Aventure, Level, Pace, Sinch, Soltera
Benno46er, Boost, Ejoy, Remidemi
BianchiAria E-Road, E-Impulsivo Road, E-Arcadex, E-Impulsivo Gravel, E-Omia, E-Omnia, E-Vertic, T-Tronik
BlixAveny, Dubbel, Packa, Sol, Ultra, Vika+ (CE Listed)
BMCRoadMachine AMP, Fourstroke AMP, 257 AMP
BuzzCerana, Charter, Charter F, Centris
CannondaleSynapse Neo, Topstone Neo, Moterra Neo, Treadwell Neo, Adventure Neo, Compact Neo, Tesoro Neo
CanyonGrail:ON, Precede:ON, Spectral:ON, Torque:ON
Co-op CyclesGeneration, CTY
Cycles DevinciE-Enduro, E-All Mountain, E-Trail, E-Road, E-Urban, E-City
DahonK-One
De RosaE--do, E--Bike
DiamondbackUnion, Response, Current
ElectraLoft Go, Townie Go, Townie Path Go, Vale Go, Ghost Rider Go, Ace of Spades Go, Navigator Go, Shibori Go, Cruiser Go, Bali Cruiser Go
FocusThron, Jam, Focus SAM, Jarifa, Aventura, Planet
FujiBlackhill EVO, E-Jari, Ambient EVO, Conductor, E-Traverse, Sanibel, E-Crosstown, E-Nevada
Giant BicyclesFastroad E+, Roam E+, Explore E+, Talon E+, Trance X E+, Stance E+, Reign E+
GocycleG4 (CE listed; UL certification pending)
IbisOso
JamisHudon E2 (CE Listed)
JetsonBolt, Bolt Pro, Bolt Up, LX10 Folding, Journey, Adventure, Haze Folding, J5, Jetson Axle, J8, Atlas Fat Tire, Arro Folding,
JuicedRipRacer, Rip Current, CrossCurrent, Hyper Scorpion,Hyper Scrambler, City Scrambler
KentHybrid, Mountain, Cruiser
Kinesis Lyfe, Lyfe Step-Thru, Range Evation (inc. flat bar) Range Ride 50 (inc flat bar),
KonaRemote, El Kahuna, Libre EL, Dew-E, Ecoco, Rove HD, Dew HD, Coco HD
LectricXP, XPedition, XPremium, Electric XP Trike (CE Listed)
Liv BicyclesAmity E+, Thrive E+, Rove E+, Embolden E+, Tempt E+, Intrigue E+
LookE-765 Gravel/Optimum/Gotham
MarinAlpine Trail, Rift Zone, Sausalito, Stinson
MokwheelBasalt, Scoria
Momentum BikesVoya+, Pakyak E+, Vida E+, LaFree E+Transcend E+
Murf Electric BikesFat Murf, Alpha Cargo, Alfa Murf, Fat Murf Step-Thru, Higgs, Izzy
NEXTMoscow Plus, C5, NCM Aspen, City Robin, Boogie Cruiser, ET Series, M7, C7, Milano, Cobra, Big Dog, Escape, Zebra, Cruiser, EE-Bike T7S
NinerRIP, e9, WFO e9, RLT e9 RDO
NorcoSight, Fluid, Range, Bigfoot, Charger, Indie, Scene
OrbeaGain, Wild, Rise, Urrun, Kemen, Vibe, Optima
Pacific CyclesMoove, E-Birdy
PedelecAWDIII, CORE
PinarelloNytro, Nytro Dust
Rad Power BikesRadRover, RadExpand, RoadRunner, RadWagon, RadCity, RadExpand, RadTrike
RaleighRetroglide Royale, Venture
RetrospecKoa Rev+, Koa Rev+ Step-Through, Beaumont Rev Electric City Bike, Beaumont Rev Electric City Bike Step-Through, Valen Rev Electric Fat Tire Bike, Valen Rev Electric Fat Tire Bike Step-Through, Chatham Rev Electric Beach Cruiser Bike, Chatham Rev Electric Beach Cruiser Bike Step-Through, Jax Rev Electric Folding Bike
Ride1UpCore-5, Roadster, Turris, LMT'D, Cafe Cruiser, 700 Series, Rift, Prodigy, Revv1
ScottPatron, Strike, Contessa, Lumen, Aspect, Solace, Addict, Contessa Addict, Sub Cross, Solace Gravel, Contessa Solace Gravel, Sub Active
SpecializedHaul, Turbo Levo, Turbo Tero, Turbo Tero Step-Thru, Tero Como, Turbo Vedo, Turbo Vedo Step-Thru, Turbo Kenovo, Turbo Creo
SurlySkid Loader, Big Easy
TernQuick Haul, NBD, Vektron, HSD, GSD
Trek BicyclesFuel, Rail, Domane+, E-Caliber, Fetch+, Powerfly, Allant+, Townie Path Go!, Vale Go!, Verve+, Ghost Rider Go!, Ace of Spades Go!, Navigator Go!, Townie Go! Step-Thru, Townie Go! Step-Over, FX+, Dual Sport+, Loft Go! Step-Thru, Loft Go! Step-Over, Bali Cruiser Go!, Shibori Cruiser Go!, Kakau Cruiser Go!, Cruiser Go! Step-Over, Cruiser Go! Step-Thru
VanMoofS5, A5, S4, X4, S3, V
Wilier-TriestinaUltra Hybrid, Filante Hybrid, Cento1 Hybrid, Triestina Hybrid, Jena Hybrid, 101X Hybrid, 101X Hybrid, E903TRN, E830TRB
WingFreedom X, Freedom Fatty 2, Freedom 2, Freedom ST
YamahaCrossCore, CrossConnect, Wabash, UrbanRush, Civante, YDX-Torc, TDX-Moro,
Yeti Cycles160E
My LEVO seems to be covered but not my Merida e160, but probably also depends on year of manufacture

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Cube and Haibike are missing from the list? 🤔🤦‍♂️
...and Whyte...although the CE marking is only valid in the UK until Dec 24 at which date a UK standard will apply (with the CE approval accepted in the interim, and possibly in parallel thereafter).

Bikes/Ebikes do not need or undergo Type Approval so they will have no set standards for elements of its construction. The electrical components will be CE approved however if they are Bosch/Shimano/Yamaha etc or they would not be allowed to be imported/sold in the EU or UK.............................which begs the question why are there clearly electrical components of Ebikes (Li batteries /chargers etc) that do not meet those standards on sale!!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
.....Vitus, Nukeproof.

I think the majority of the list is the UL ( USA) Approval.................and I would guess it only applies to the electrical components rather than the Bike per se. There are no safety standards for cycle brakes, standard drivetrain, handlebars etc that I know of.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I think even though your specific bike may not be on the list, a code or symbol may be present somewhere on the battery. Your country may have different certification's, but UL or CE seems to be a good standard.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
proper brand ebike batteries should only be at risk when charging and they will cut out if a battery starts to get hot.
If it's aUL certified battery they are supposed to be designed to avoid "propagation of fire" which I'm guessing after a quick google should mean they can't spread a fire, or cause something to combust.

I think inside the battery there are plastic chunks that melt and cover a cell if it gets too hot, and also if it's UL certified it's supposed to not have thermal run off, which is where one cell causes another to start a chain reaction

I'm guessing that subway fire was caused by something like a cheapo chinese battery having crappy soldering etc and one of the cells got shorted, those bateries have no safety certification and are built as cheap as possible

Could I get that in official writing please. Haha

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Cube and Haibike are missing from the list? 🤔🤦‍♂️
the list is kinda dumb they could have just done it by the brands that make the batteries.

Every Bosch ebike should be full UL for the whole system.
not sure about the older ones, most other big manufactures didn't start doing UL until recently and do it only for the battery, which is the high risk part anyway.
Even without UL any of the big bands will no doubt be using the best cells and will have really good QA for any wiring/soldering and no doubt every battery is physically inspected .

Virtually every ebike fire you see in the news will be chinese grey market imports.
I think a few years ago bosch did a battery recall for a small batch of dodgy batteries though.

kla456

Mar 8, 2020
Scotland
the list is kinda dumb they could have just done it by the brands that make the batteries.

Every Bosch ebike should be full UL for the whole system.
not sure about the older ones, most other big manufactures didn't start doing UL until recently and do it only for the battery, which is the high risk part anyway.
Even without UL any of the big bands will no doubt be using the best cells and will have really good QA for any wiring/soldering and no doubt every battery is physically inspected .

Virtually every ebike fire you see in the news will be chinese grey market imports.
I think a few years ago bosch did a battery recall for a small batch of dodgy batteries though.
UL 2849 is whole bike evaluation and testing procedure, not just the batteries. The test details are described in the above video by Ark.
UL is an independent testing system whereas CE is a self-certification system by the manufacturers
I will be replacing my 2021 Merida with a UL compliant and I have contacted UL (they invite contact through their website) to obtain confirmation if the replacement candidates are UL2849 compliant.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles