Specialized Levo Dead 2019

Wade

Dec 31, 2020
London
So I have read many great informative conversations on this forum about dead Levo's and washing them etc.... I had a small muddy ride the other day and came back and washed my Levo (not upside down and not with a pressure hose!) Straight after this wash, it was completely dead! I took the battery and TCU out and dried all the connectors with an air line but nothing. I replaced the 1620 battery in the TCU just incase but still nothing. If I hit the on button, I see the green light on the side of the battery down by the pedals turn on and then 2 sec's later they turn off again even though there is nothing lighting up on the TCU. This leads me to believe there is a bigger issue. Any ideas? Hopefully Specialized will come through.Thanks

bbred

Aug 15, 2018
Derbyshire
So I have read many great informative conversations on this forum about dead Levo's and washing them etc.... I had a small muddy ride the other day and came back and washed my Levo (not upside down and not with a pressure hose!) Straight after this wash, it was completely dead! I took the battery and TCU out and dried all the connectors with an air line but nothing. I replaced the 1620 battery in the TCU just incase but still nothing. If I hit the on button, I see the green light on the side of the battery down by the pedals turn on and then 2 sec's later they turn off again even though there is nothing lighting up on the TCU. This leads me to believe there is a bigger issue. Any ideas? Hopefully Specialized will come through.Thanks
Don't panic. It's prob the battery to motor cable. Mine did the same . Best solution replace the cable under warranty.

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
Its hard to tell, but it does seem like this is the combination, yes!

I had that on mine, issues was with the TCU. Moisture getting in, have you got the rubber port bung tapped up?

I took it out and left in a warm dry place, it took three days to get it working, since I tapped up I’ve had no further issues.

Wade

Dec 31, 2020
London
I had that on mine, issues was with the TCU. Moisture getting in, have you got the rubber port bung tapped up?

I took it out and left in a warm dry place, it took three days to get it working, since I tapped up I’ve had no further issues.
Thanks! I'll try this now

Wade

Dec 31, 2020
London
Specialized sent me the new cable from battery to motor and it worked straight away! I used electrical tape to seal the TCU a bit better and hopefuly the bike will survive winter rides now! Thanks

tempImagevW91ow.png

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Specialized sent me the new cable from battery to motor and it worked straight away! I used electrical tape to seal the TCU a bit better and hopefuly the bike will survive winter rides now! Thanks

View attachment 49487
very good example of the old type cable with the motor end cap damage which will result in a short with any water ingress into the motor cover area. As an extra tip, the newer cable has the exact same motor end cap and the only barrier to water entry into the connection made by it into the motor PCB are those 2 green rings. I treat them with liquid silicone and then apply a good waterproof grease behind them. Once connected I also then apply the same grease fairly liberally around the mating surface between the cap and the receptor connection. In other words a grease arrier to water ingress even if that area gets flooded with water ( which is much more likely washing the bike than riding even in the rain......but there is still a chance of complete immersion especially this time of year.....been there recently!! No problems)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles