Soon-to-be eMTB owner. Australian in Germany.

2Old2SendIt

Feb 13, 2020
Germany
I used to be ride MTBs a long time ago and now I'm living in a great area for it, so I'm looking to get back in with an eMTB.
Currently thinking about a YT Decoy or Canyon Spectral ON but my all my previous experience is with 26" XC bikes, so everything is going to feel like a completely different world now.

Where should I post all the usual newbie questions about what to buy?

2Old2SendIt

Feb 13, 2020
Germany
I've noticed the large push for Specialized around here ;)
And the lack of Canyon content on Rob's YouTube channel is strange...

The Levo is one of the nicest looking bikes out there, but I'm just not going to put it on the list considering the price. I'm fine with a bit of wrenching and being in Germany makes the direct to consumer brands even more appealing.

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
You absolutely need a Turbo Levo SL Founders edition for 16.5K usd.. ??

Look at the Meridas. They offer great value for money. Also if you move back to OZ, there is a large dealer network here.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
As @B1rdie says, with his cunning reverse psychology... You should buy a specialized.??

There are quite often some good deals on the canyons and They're great all round bikes. The decoy also is a great bike with excellent value for money with the specification.

Bike discount also do their own line, the radon render. Great spec for the price, assembled by cube. And not to forget cube !

If you end up with a Bosch motored bike, ideally go for the latest gen4 motor, easy to tell with its normal sized chainring rather than the previous tiny one.

In today's market, nearly all the bikes are good. You can't really go far wrong.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
You've come to the right place & have lots of options in Germany. Have a ride to compare. I'd be interested to know opinions on this vs the Decoy & Canyon. The Maxx is powered by Brose.

Custom built Ebikes and frames - by MAXX Germany

FAB4_ELS_small.jpg

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I own a Levo.

I rode the Canyon a bit, got pedal strikes but it's a dependable, forgiving platform and much better VFM than Specialized. I also thought the back end was a bit bloated with that 2.8 tyre, was a friend's bike so couldn't change it. A lighter tyre may well liven it up a bit.

Check out the videos of Fabien Barel on one, he throws it around like a trials bike.

Haven't ridden the YT. It seems to be intended for winch and plummet riding, is that your thing?

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I considered the original rear tyre, at 2,8 , a beginners thing that canyon found could help manage the traction and enhance braking. The bike surely becomes more lively with a thinner tyre on the rear. I guess a 2,4 would be great but could only get a 2,25 and was doing OK until I bent the rim... was using 32 psi witch was too low, now I know.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
As @B1rdie says, with his cunning reverse psychology... You should buy a specialized.??

There are quite often some good deals on the canyons and They're great all round bikes. The decoy also is a great bike with excellent value for money with the specification.

Bike discount also do their own line, the radon render. Great spec for the price, assembled by cube. And not to forget cube !

If you end up with a Bosch motored bike, ideally go for the latest gen4 motor, easy to tell with its normal sized chainring rather than the previous tiny one.

In today's market, nearly all the bikes are good. You can't really go far wrong.
You got it. We should all gather help the sepcdz fund theyr research on satisfying peoples desires by gathering brainstorm resulted parts and bits and then see if it works out on the long term with our help. I’ve done my share and am proud of it.
They are funding good ideas there in Cali at least. ?

2Old2SendIt

Feb 13, 2020
Germany
Haven't ridden the YT. It seems to be intended for winch and plummet riding, is that your thing?

I don't really have a thing at the moment. My thing is watching videos on the internet and imagining what my thing might be ;) I imagine going to bike parks maybe 2-3 times a year and doing the easier runs. Most of my riding will be in the hills around my house where you can do everything from fire trails, to single tracks, to some fairly large jumps and drop-offs. So, easy to progress...

I used to ride a lot of recreational cross country a very long time ago, and have only every owned cross country bikes. I still have a 2008 Giant Anthem 1 XC bike, with a massive 80mm front and rear! Everything I would test ride will be compared to this and will feel like a leopard tank, so it's going to be hard for me to judge anything properly. I'm happy to roll the dice with as much internet knowledge as possible and accept that it will take a while to get used to longer, slacker, heaver, larger travel, etc.

My thought so far was that if the uphills are not going to be a struggle anyway, then buying a bike biased a little more towards the downhill might not be a bad option. But I think 150-160mm is a good area to be in, with 170mm as a maximum for me. I was looking at the Canyon Spectral ON 9.0, but it recently disappeared from the Canyon website. I guess something is coming to replace it soon.
So at the moment, it's a toss-up between the Spectral 9.0 (that doesn't really exist) and the YT Decoy. But I don't really want carbon wheels and would prefer Shimano brakes over the guide brakes on the Decoy. Decisions, Decisions,...

EDIT: Just spent ages looking at a Merida eOne-Sixty 9000. Add that to the list!

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles